Photo

Cabin 12 | Victoria | Cedar Hill Rd. At Lang

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#41 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:06 PM

I wonder how many times this is going to happen if they get what they need again. It seems to me like this guy has good intentions, but doesn't have the necessary skills to follow through.

I'd say for a guy with nothing, who has managed to raise 15K and start a resturant off of that, he's damn talented and deserves this chance. I'm not a fan of bailouts, or mumbo jumbo such as that, and although I am no longer even on the Island, I think that attention should be paid to what Corey is attempting to do and community support given in order to actually have a shot of succeeding. The fact he has come this far on so little capital is quite amazing, I wish him and the staff the best of luck in fund raising for some more capital, and truly hope the community steps up to give them a shot.

#42 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

I agree there is something special going on there - with some good impacts on the downtown scene. As long as the door is open, I'll eat there, and tip well. I wish him luck on raising the 5K. I hope he finds an investor.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#43 cabin

cabin
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

Wow, there's a lot of people talking about the Cabin. Thanks again for the support.

For those who feel that I'm going to the well too many times. I couldn't agree with you more. I hate asking for anything. It's humbling and embarrassing. And usually the people that try to give have little enough as it is.

But I didn't quite know what else to do. I know that if this all crumbles, I'll survive. But I wasn't ready to quit on my staff. These people have built such an incredible workspace in such a short time with so few tools. I hear how happy and proud they are to be able to work in such a great environment.

And I know the numbers. We have managed to do the impossible, and with December, then the Olympics, and then Summer around the corner, I can see just how close we are. The challenge of course is to make it to one year.

Were we undercapitalized from the beginning? Absolutely. But that's what we had to work with, so that's what we worked with. I wasn't about to give up and go live on the street because I was only able to come up with $15,000 and not $20,000. I was going to do what I could with the $15,000.

At the end of the day, if I had done a few things differently we might have had just enough to squeak into the holidays. And I see in restrospect many things I could or should have done differently. But hindsight is 20/20. I'm more impressed with what we did do. Very few teams could have pulled off what we have, and I'm so proud to be a part of it. We have done what we could do with what we had, and at the end of the day, if all we take from it are our memories of the successes, or pride from our personal growth, then we've succeeded beyond all expectations.

But I'm not ready to give up yet. There's 12 people that want to keep their jobs, and I want to keep them working.

But that leaves me with our plan. It didn't really sit right with me either that I was "asking" one more time. It seemed like it made sense, after all this is what businesses do when they're on hard times. But I agree that it's the wrong tack. Finally I realized why. We're asking for something. We need to offer something.

So we're changing our tack.

On Saturday November 21st we're going to host an event.
"Damn the Man, Save the Cabin."

http://www.facebook....id=173455626511

Running from 10am to 12pm. The day will be full of games, giveaways, bachelor auctions, music, prizes and merriment. If at the end of the day we're able to generate enough to open the doors back up, we'll do so and carry on with our maniacal plans to change the world, one workspace at a time. If not, we'll use what we have to pay off all obligations and split the rest among the staff to aid in their imminent jobhunt.

If we're going to go down, we'll do it in style.

Check out the link and the Facebook group to learn more. Drop me a line at cabin12gm@live.com if you have any questions or comments.

And thank you to everyone who has supported us. It's been an amazing journey, but we're not quite done yet.

Cheers,
Corey.

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

Check your PM Corey.

#45 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Corey, can I come and help on that day? would that be of assistance? I know you need hard cold cash - which I just don't have but I can clear a table, wash dishes and I smile allot.
I really like what you are doing and want to contribute.

#46 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:58 PM

I'd say for a guy with nothing, who has managed to raise 15K and start a resturant off of that, he's damn talented and deserves this chance. I'm not a fan of bailouts, or mumbo jumbo such as that, and although I am no longer even on the Island, I think that attention should be paid to what Corey is attempting to do and community support given in order to actually have a shot of succeeding. The fact he has come this far on so little capital is quite amazing, I wish him and the staff the best of luck in fund raising for some more capital, and truly hope the community steps up to give them a shot.

I completely agree with you. This is not a case of 'another business gone sour' asking for a handout. This is a business that had the odds stacked against it but had the spirit and gumption to survive. This is a different animal as far as I'm concerned. And Victoria needs to embrace it.

#47 cabin

cabin
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

Check your PM Corey.

Will do. (What's my PM?)

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

Will do. (What's my PM?)

Private Messages, top right.

#49 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

Will do. (What's my PM?)

Private messages....you may not have that option without a minimum of 10 posts. ?

#50 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:15 PM

Yeah tried to PM you but it didn't work. Must be the 10 message thing.

I know some people who might be interested in helping you out.

What is the best way to contact you?

#51 cabin

cabin
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

Yeah tried to PM you but it didn't work. Must be the 10 message thing.

I know some people who might be interested in helping you out.

What is the best way to contact you?

Lol, Thanks guys! I'm still a bit of a neophyte when it comes to the inter-web.

The best way to contact me is either through email;
cabin12gm@live.com
or phone
250-590-1500

thanks for the interest and support. It means a lot to me.

Cheers,
Corey

#52 cabin

cabin
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:24 AM

Corey, can I come and help on that day? would that be of assistance? I know you need hard cold cash - which I just don't have but I can clear a table, wash dishes and I smile allot.
I really like what you are doing and want to contribute.

Susan, that would be awesome! I'm sure I could find some way for you to help, drop me a line at cabin12gm@live.com

I've got to finish planning the day, and then I'll know where I'll need people. Thank you again, I can't believe the amount of people who are coming out of the woodwork to support us. I wouldn't count the Cabin out quite yet.

Cheers,
Corey

#53 cabin

cabin
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

Thanks. I really appreciate that.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:04 PM

***I have been running around like crazy this week, and I'm sure that I've missed a few things. Plus there has been a massive wave of support. It has been heartwarming, and I appreciate everyone's efforts.

For anyone that has offered help or support, If I've missed you, I'm so sorry. I've been trying to accomplish a lot this week, and I hope I haven't offended anyone by putting too much on my plate.***

Hello Cabinistas, friends, supporters, Victoria and beyond.

I had hoped to start this update with an announcement that we had managed to find an investor, money was in the bank and we could turn Saturday's event into a Foodbank fundraiser. We have had a few interested parties, and a lot of meetings, and while nothing concrete has developed, there are still a couple of possible options.

But no time left to pursue them. I lost enough valuable time this week, when I could have been planning the party. There has been much pacing and head scratching. No matter. I have one more meeting on Tuesday, so there is still one more possible out, but I can worry about that on Sunday. Now it's time to focus on the event.

We had some grandiose ideas about a band on the roof, but unfortunately neither the weather nor the landlords were too happy with them. While our relationship with the weather is largely one sided, the landlords have been good to us, so we'll respect their wishes.

Besides, we want to spend Saturday enjoying the Cabin that we've built.

Our plan is to swing the doors open at 10:00 am and offer a mixed bag throughout the day.

To participate, come on in. In the Morning (from 10-4) we'll be offering complimentary coffee, tea, pop and juice, and if you're hungry, a French Toast Breakfast, (Multigrain or Sourdough, served Plain, Apple Cinnamon, or with a Berry Compote.)

Cabin 12 Breakfast Beer will be available on tap, but we'll have to charge for that. ($5.75/pint)

From 4 til midnight, the structure will be much the same, but for food we'll be offering a homemade Beef or Veggie chili.

On your way out, leave as little or as much as you'd like in the Jar. Remember, for every $10 you leave, you'll get a ticket to the door prize draw. So far we've got gift certificates and goods from Phillips, the Capitol Six Theatre, Floyds and Hollywood Tonight, (You guys rock!!)
The Door Prize Draw will be held at the End of the night!)

For entertainment throughout the day, we're going to throw our stage open to our musician friends, (and others that show up), Including (members of) Taircus, Brave New Waves, Rocky Mountain Rebels, and more.

At 6:00 pm, we had hoped to host a Bachelor Auction, and have a few willing participants, myself included, but we didn't quite have enough time to structure and pump it up online. So around 6:00, we'll take a poll in the room, and see if there's enough interest. If there are parties looking to buy, I'm sure we can find some Bachelors to sell. We'll include a $20 Cabin 12 Gift Certificate with every winning bid.

Throughout the night we'll carry on with the live music. At around 10:00, we'll close the online silent auction, and announce the tally's. At around 11:00 we'll draw the door prizes, and at 12:00, we'll shut it down and tally up the totals.

At that point we'll make the call which way to move forward. I'll be sure to update everyone.

I'm sure there's more to come, and I'll keep updating the site.

Thanks everyone, the support we've received is amazing!!!

#55 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:32 PM

Susan, that would be awesome! I'm sure I could find some way for you to help, drop me a line at cabin12gm@live.com

I've got to finish planning the day, and then I'll know where I'll need people. Thank you again, I can't believe the amount of people who are coming out of the woodwork to support us. I wouldn't count the Cabin out quite yet.

Cheers,
Corey

See you tomorrow Corey!

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

Cabin 12 ends with a party, hopes for a miracle

http://www.timescolo...0620/story.html

By Jack Knox, Times Colonist
November 21, 2009

[...]

#57 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

I had breakfast at the Cabin this morning before a radio show on that AM channel. I found this place to be delightful. Good food, funky atmosphere, cool tunes, wifi, you gotta love it. Corey took great care of me. I told him not to give up. I am going to make a point of having lunch there on a regular basis. He speaks highly of VV, he appreciated the support that has been posted here.

#58 cabin

cabin
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:59 AM

What an amazing city. Today we raised over $4500. The doors swing wide open tomorrow.

Thank you.

#59 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:38 AM

Good because I'll be needing somewhere to have breakfast on Monday.

:)

Congratulations Corey!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:07 AM

What an amazing city. Today we raised over $4500. The doors swing wide open tomorrow.

Thank you.

Oh, good. I was hoping for an update today.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users