Newspapers going down even faster

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:15 AM

Play Paywall!, the new web game sweeping the newspaper industry!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

Dave Eggers:

"It's too exciting and distracting online," Eggers said. While print -- especially long-form print -- encourages hunkering down and cuddling up, online journalism fosters a kind of low-grade, perpetual ADD. Online, "there's always some button that wants you to click to cat **rn," he said, as the audience laughed. "You try to read something, and it's flashing, it's telling you to go somewhere else."

Admit it, you wanted to hit the cat **rn button half way through reading this post.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

I prefer mega-yacht **rn!:rolleyes:

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

Conrad Black is getting out of jail this week.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

That's Lord Black to you. He'll be up to his old tricks in no time.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:28 AM

Postmedia losses mount as revenue declines speed up The owner of the National Post and numerous major city dailies reported a loss of $140.8 million.

Postmedia said print advertising revenues, excluding the Sun papers, crumbled 20.2 per cent to $19.1 million. Print circulation revenues were also down 6.5 per cent to $3.2 million.

Digital advertising revenue — considered by Postmedia to be a crucial part of its future business — declined 4 per cent to $900,000.

I'm very unclear how you can lose $140M on sales of $19M, $3M and $1M (display ads, paid circulation, and digital ads).  Where is the other revenue, for a newspaper?  $24M in sales and a loss of $148M? How can you right that ship?

EDIT:  Oh, I see, Sun papers revenues were not included in these figures, but losses were.

Postmedia Network Canada Corp. says its losses mounted in the third quarter as Canada’s largest newspaper chain saw advertising and circulation revenues tumble at a faster pace.

The owner of the National Post and numerous major city dailies reported a loss of $140.8 million, or 84 cents per share, in the three months ended May 31.

That’s a major decline from losses of $20.6 million, or 51 cents per share, in the same period a year earlier.

Earlier this year, Postmedia acquired Sun Media’s English-language newspapers and digital properties, and this marks the first quarter the Sun assets were included in its financial results.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

The Independent, a UK newspaper I quite liked, has gone from 400k per day to 40k over its 30-year existence.

Now it's given up the print edition.

MORE, from The Guardian:     http://www.theguardi...umphs-disasters

#28 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

One down, and one up. At the end of this month, Trinity Mirror, publisher of the Daily Mirror (shudder) is launching a new newspaper called New Day.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq2_wSsDwkQ

I laughed out loud at the end bit, sooo good.

• Nparker likes this

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

I am totally tronc-ed by this.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:14 PM

Michael Den Tandt: Do something, or we’ll have the CBC — and nothing else

http://news.national...nd-nothing-else

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

http://dailyhive.com...ancouver-office

Sun and Province newspapers to leave downtown Vancouver office

#33 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:08 AM

I've recently become hooked on a podcast done by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It's a true-crime series called "Breakdown" and describes itself as "Serial"-inspired. The current series (the second) focuses on the ongoing trial of a man accused of deliberately murdering his son in a hot car. 

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:24 AM

Some creative journalism here, for sure.

Note the headline: New York Times profit better than expected due to digital push

...and note the last paragraph, literally, in the article: "Net profit attributable to the company fell 95.7 percent to $406,000, or break-even per share, hit mainly by restructuring charges related to headcount reductions."

Thank goodness for the digital push, hey Reuters? http://www.reuters.c...s-idUSKBN12X1HU

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:46 PM

^Well I guess when you were expecting to lose a ton of money it's not to hard to beat expectations.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:44 AM

It’s time to save news.

You may well ask: What on earth is he talking about? Isn’t there an endless supply of information flooding us daily, hitting us every time we look at a phone, turn on a computer, get lost in the 1,000-channel TV universe or, as many still do, pick up a newspaper?

This is true, but increasingly, it is like being in a lifeboat on an ocean – water, water, everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

You can read Donald Trump’s latest Tweet, or see what one of your Facebook friends did at the gym.

http://news.national...ng-worth-saving

I do not agree with this.   Local news is covered just fine by our local newspapers, council meetings are streamed online, info is on the internet at our finger-tips.  I, or the organizers, can cover the Oak Bay Tea Party with Facebook LIVE.

I see no reason to pay newspapers $30,000 per reporter.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

We've found out over the last decade that the only real thing about the news is reporters are human and make a cocophany of mistakes. We also found out that responsible journalism is journalism that doesn't go the extra length to investigate the reality behind an issue.

We have a mayor receiving thousands of dollars from a landlord who operates illegal rentals under the mayor's nose. And the media is silent on the issue. Is that responsible?

We have a bridge that is years behind schedule and tens of millions of dollars over budget. And the electorate is hung out to dry. Where is the investigative journalism on that front?

We have a homelessness situation that spiralled out of control over the last two years. Why? The media won't tell us.

And now the tax payer is being asked to subsidize private businesses because they feel they are owed something? And then what, because the money comes from "government" we'll not only see publications turning a blind eye to local corporate issues, but also government issues? Can't cut off the hand that feeds you, right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

I guess what I mean is that we are not starved for local news. When we get in a backup on the Malahat and wonder why, we check twitter. Why do we need the TC? If I want to know if the bylaw passed at City Hall, I watch the broadcast live or recorded. I'm it starved for local news. I know how to find it. It's called the internet. I do not need the TC to give me a 150-word recap of each candidates position in the View Royal election, I can he find that online in a more comprehensive way.

#39 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

http://news.national...ng-worth-saving

I do not agree with this. Local news is covered just fine by our local newspapers, council meetings are streamed online, info is on the internet at our finger-tips. I, or the organizers, can cover the Oak Bay Tea Party with Facebook LIVE.

I see no reason to pay newspapers $30,000 per reporter.

Me neither. They couldn't even afford a condo for $200/sqft at those wages!

Edited by dasmo, 17 June 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

^ They want the taxpayers to pay up to $30,000 per reporter.  35% of their wages is their ask.

19239609_10154573397240887_1293436969_n(1).jpg

That's something pretty rich, eh?  The mods here at VV INSIST every clip from the TC is brief, and links back to its source at the TC website.  So does reddit, so does Victoria Buzz, so does my website (a minimum of two links back to the TC for every article).  My website is 41 days old.  For the past 11 years, VV has linked TC articles.  I Heart Downtown linked for 7 years.  Victoria Buzz has been linking for 6 years.  We've sent more traffic to the TC than all others combined.  

And then you all of course know that the TC gets a LOT of their article ideas from VV information, and never links back.

Why the TC wants to stay in their silo is beyond me.  Victoria Buzz provides news and fun clips to Kiss FM/Ocean every morning, we have a signed agreement with CHEK for news sharing, we signed Raeside when the TC fired him, and Mike K's Citified is a weekly guest on CFAX.  Why not collaborate? 

And the week this all blows up, Victoria Buzz opens their first physical office (across Douglas from the TC!) and hires two people (a reporter and a sales person), while we get word the TC sells their building.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 June 2017 - 09:49 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users