[Rail] Commuter rail

• Please log in to reply
3073 replies to this topic

#1081 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

They can't get used if they aren't there. I live in Sannich right now and one reason I don't like it is it lacks walk-ability big time. No sidewalks in the burb I'm in (as well as no pedestrian friendly location nearby) equates to no walking anywhere. Build it and they will come. The proof of that is Esquimalt road. A pedestrian walking along that road was a rare site indeed before they added the landscaped buffer beside the sidewalk....

There are certainly places where sidewalks make sense. The type of residential neighborhoods we have been talking about, not so much. Your residential area I don't know, but if there isnt anything to walk to and lots of non local traffic it probably doesn't need sidewalks or bike lanes. It is an unnecessary expense. I suspect they are building with sidewalks in Royal Bay, but it really isn't needed.
On arterial and main roads for sure. Hence my complaint about Wilkinson not getting completely finished with both Bike and sidewalks.

Edited by lanforod, 21 February 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#1082 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:54 AM

There are certainly places where sidewalks make sense. The type of residential neighborhoods we have been talking about, not so much. Your residential area I don't know, but if there isnt anything to walk to and lots of non local traffic it probably doesn't need sidewalks or bike lanes. It is an unnecessary expense. I suspect they are building with sidewalks in Royal Bay, but it really isn't needed.
On arterial and main roads for sure. Hence my complaint about Wilkinson not getting completely finished with both Bike and sidewalks.

Of course it's needed in Royal Bay.  They actually have a centralized shopping area as part of the plans.  I don't have the distances at hand, but it can't be more than a 10-15 minute walk from anywhere in the new community.  If you want people to walk to this amenity, you have to make it safe.

In my area I live 2.5km from the nearest retail store.  The one that was 200 metres away closed, likely because there's no safe way to walk to it from many neighbourhood streets that may have been ok to walk on in the past but are not anymore given Langford residents' ratrunning antics.  Then there's kids walking to school on the sides of collector roads, essentially in the ditch because there's no sidewalks.  In Saanich this problem reaches right into the core, such as on Saanich Road itself.  Engineering has done some ingenious workarounds to make Saanich more walkable (multi-use paths everywhere) but it will take a long time for us to recover from the damage done by poor planning in the past, much of which is poor land use planning. 

• thundergun and nerka like this

#1083 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

Cherrypicking the 2017 CoV budget:

3.4 million in gas tax grants received.

Expenses:

• Bridges 260K
  • Roads 1.2M
  • Signs 1.2 M
  • Signals 600L
  • Major street rehab 1.4M
  • Local dtreet rehab 1.1
  • General street infra 1.7 M
  • Bridges for 2017 (capital) 8.5M

#1084 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

Drivers pay far more than you might imagine. Each year we pay more in gas taxes on Vancouver Island than what we get back in road building and maintenance.

Every couple of years someone on this forum throws that inane myth around and it takes me about twenty minutes to dig out and format the provincial R/E sheets to disprove it.  Seeing this come from our fearless leader is something of a surprise.

• tedward and nagel like this
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#1085 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

Cherrypicking the 2017 CoV budget:

3.4 million in gas tax grants received.

Expenses:

• Bridges 260K
  • Roads 1.2M
  • Signs 1.2 M
  • Signals 600L
  • Major street rehab 1.4M
  • Local dtreet rehab 1.1
  • General street infra 1.7 M
  • Bridges for 2017 (capital) 8.5M

We're spending as much on signs as on roads?  How many more 40k signs do we need?  

I don't see a road paint line item... 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1086 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

We're spending as much on signs as on roads?  How many more 40k signs do we need?  

I think the roads line is for minor repairs.  the rehab is more of an overhaul.

#1087 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

We're spending as much on signs as on roads? How many more 40k signs do we need?

those flashing smiley faces ain't cheap. but once you feel that dopamine rush you'll see its worth it

Edited by RFS, 21 February 2017 - 01:25 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1088 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

Every couple of years someone on this forum throws that inane myth around and it takes me about twenty minutes to dig out and format the provincial R/E sheets to disprove it. Seeing this come from our fearless leader is something of a surprise.

Oh, I've said this multiple times over the last two years.

If you can show me $2.5-billion in car-related expenses over the last ten years I'll concede my position, but in all of the years we've had these discussions that hasn't happened yet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1089 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:36 PM

Oh, I've said this multiple times over the last two years.

If you can show me $2.5-billion in car-related expenses over the last ten years I'll concede my position, but in all of the years we've had these discussions that hasn't happened yet.

This post was moved, thread consolidation I think. Mike, is it a simple or difficult task to discover what its current URL is?

http://www.vibrantvi...html#post218283

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#1090 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

That must have been back when we had vBulletin, going by the very different syntax of that link. That would have been some six years ago, I believe.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1091 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:11 AM

Been trying to follow this thread, but we seem to have gone way off topic, which is unusual since Mike and his band of moderators are usually pretty anal about that. Why not a thread on gas taxes?

Oh and there has been a Christy Clark sighting in Oak Bay, officials have advised parents to keep small pets and children indoors, apparently she was spotted following voters into the municipality.
  • VicHockeyFan, Baro, Nparker and 1 other like this

#1092 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

Increased optimism about future of commuter rail service from West Shore

Commuter service from the West Shore to downtown along the E&N Rail corridor could be coming sooner than later, according to Langford Mayor Stew Young, who has been speaking with B.C. Transportation Minister Todd Stone and BC Transit about options.

See more....

http://www.goldstrea.../414918584.html
  • Bingo likes this

#1093 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

But Young is confident an opportunity still exists to move on an idea that has been the subject of circular discussions for the better part of a decade.

“From what I’m seeing, there is no other option except to get some people moving on that transportation corridor.”

http://www.goldstrea.../414918584.html

#1094 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

Here's the thing.

Langford has the most to gain from marketing the potential for rail running from their community to downtown Victoria. It's not about a physical transportation alternative, it's all about the coming soon lines that can be used to sell homebuyers on Langford and the Westshore. That's all it boils down to.

• Bingo, Ismo07 and qv like this

Know it all.

#1095 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

i still see it as a positive. for once in the last 2 decades that i and many others who have worked on this, something good could come of this.

• On the Level likes this

#1096 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Announcement at Admirals and Colville E&N track tomorrow.

Rail is coming (if you elect the Liberals and they keep the promise).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1097 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Technically the tail is already there.

#1098 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

✪ BREAKING. A news conference will take place tomorrow at 9am on the E&N rail line at Admirals and Colville. It's expected that the province will announce commuter rail is coming. (If you elect the Liberals).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1099 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

One might almost think an election is nigh what with all these popular goodies being promised.

• tedward likes this

#1100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

Province expected to announce commuter rail service for Capital Region

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users