[Rail] Commuter rail

• Please log in to reply
3103 replies to this topic

#1481 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

Yes. But that's about at best they will be with such low ridership.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1482 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

Talk is cheap

Time and time again it was proven that people only care about things when those things are gone

E&N is a great example of that.Very few people used ir on a regular basis they only used it when it was threatened to be shut down
  • Nparker likes this

#1483 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

They didn't use it because it was a super sucky.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1484 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

Well, it was also not a commuter train.  Oh ya, and it sucked.

• sdwright.vic likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1485 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

"I love catching a train that leaves every 30 minutes and drops me off with a 20 minute walk into downtown Victoria and only costs $6 each way..." no millennials will ever say ;)

The best thing the Liberals could do for land interests west of downtown is to build another interchange at Tillicum. The train will accommodate such a tiny amount of people it's simply not worth it. An interchange will let the Westshore keep pushing forward, and ultimately that's what the Westshore really wants. That and a vastly improved Sooke Road.

What's happening with this initiative anyway? I recall reading last year probably somewhere on VV that the desire was/is to 4-lane the entire thing from the TCH to Sooke, install electronic reader boards....the whole smack, making it a "proper" highway. Is this still simmering on a back burner or is it in limbo, or completely dead for now?

#1486 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

Recently being in Portland, I think the solution in Victoria is a tram line like they have there. Something that does a loop one way, and one block up a loop going the opposite direction, travelling mostly on existing streets, not the E and N, and using the new bridge. Automation is nice, but maybe not required.

This is all very expensive. We don't have the population to support this. But it is a bit of a chicken and egg problem here, of course, we can't really support a much higher population either unless something like this gets built.

Ultimately, traffic in Victoria isn't really that bad compared to actual big cities. A 1 hour commute, which is about the max here for most people, is nothing compared to many other cities in North America. If you're commuting from Sooke to Ogden Point at rush hour, sure, that'll take longer, but that's your choice re where to live.

So what to do? I think keep thinking of the traffic issues, deal with problem areas such Tillicum, use some bandaid solutions like BRT, but plan and save for 2040 when we really do need to have rapid rail transit due to a population approaching 600k.

#1487 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

...use some bandaid solutions like BRT, but plan and save for 2040 when we really do need to have rapid rail transit due to a population approaching 600k.

This is the CRD. If we don't start now, it will be 2090 before anything happens. 

• dasmo and On the Level like this

#1488 splashflash

splashflash
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

As much as I'd like to see rail as a transportation alternative in the region, I have to agree that not accommodating for it in the new bridge design was a HUGE mistake.

Whether it was a mistake or not, that's water under the bridge now.

• VicHockeyFan and dasmo like this

#1489 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

This is the CRD. If we don't start now, it will be 2090 before anything happens. 

no no no, it will 3090 before anything happens here

• Nparker likes this

#1490 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

if there is a will there is a way.

Washington is considering putting rails on the I-90 floating bridge for a commuter rail if the can do that then surely rails could be put onto the new Pandora st bridge

#1491 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

There's just about zero appetite among Victoria taxpayers to foot the bill for a new bridge deck that could accommodate a train.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1492 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

then they can build a whole new bridge a swing bridge for rail

Victoria should have just gone with a draw bridge like the one in Courtenay very simple

#1493 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

then they can build a whole new bridge a swing bridge for rail

Victoria should have just gone with a draw bridge like the one in Courtenay very simple

Actually what i was thinking was using the old road bridge.

• tedward likes this

#1494 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

yes that is brilliant.

#1495 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

As I wrote elsewhere. Pave the tracks then use the corridor for self driving cars and busses. Spending money on infrastructure that does not put self driving vehicles in the equation is short sighted.

#1496 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

Tracks are still needed even for self driving. Makes it more foolproof and more compatible with bikes and pedestrians close by. But I have a picture posted way back of the track wheel additions that could be applied to self driving electric buses. So we just shouldn't invest too heavily in tram cars. Won't need to at the start anyway. Only need a few to sell al the condos!

#1497 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

As I wrote elsewhere. Pave the tracks then use the corridor for self driving cars and busses. Spending money on infrastructure that does not put self driving vehicles in the equation is short sighted.

This seems to be a repeating topic.....a single lane paved roadway would require extra width.  Blasting, grading and all new railway bridges.  Hundreds of millions of dollars......

• dasmo likes this

#1498 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:13 AM

paving over the tracks is out of the question no sense in that at all

#1499 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Maybe we should change this thread's name to "Commuter Rail Will Never Happen, but Hey Lets build More Land Wasting Interchanges and Highways, As This Will Make it Easier For the Deer and Consultants to Commute into Victoria and Back" =)

Back to you guys....

• Matt R., tedward and nagel like this

#1500 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

or commuter rail wont happen in Victoria until Victoria grows up and has a population base to support it

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users