[Rail] Commuter rail

• Please log in to reply
3103 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

That's because you're not using the URL of the page that image sits on (by itself, not surrounded with text).

Right click on the photo and copy the location.

Don't use this:

http://forums.railfa... ... ouglas.jpg

Use this:

http://forums.railfa... ... ouglas.jpg

However, since that photo's so huge, you might instead just post the link or a small thumbnail.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:43 PM

[/url]http://forums.railfa... ... ment-2.jpg

#43 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:32 AM

Don't worry it takes some getting used to. Here you go:

Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#44 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

Thanks,
It is something completely new for me.

Here are some photos of my grandfather's quarter scale streetcars. His name is Gordon Hatch and for the last 40 years (mid 60s to 2001), he constructed 4 streetcar models, two trailers, a station. They run (or use to run) on 15" track. The family is currently looking for a place to permanently display them.

Enjoy

#45 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

Sweet I figured it out

#46 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

Rats I put the pictures in the wrong thread

#47 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Here is a drawing I did last year depicting a possible location for a new E&N Rail Terminal.

Send me your thoughts

#48 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

I think going trough and under Centenial Square then under Douglas st to the parking lot and then back to grade on Pandora all the way to UVIC.

The solid red line is at grade and the dashed line is underground. Centennial Station should breathe new life in to the square.

#49 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:06 PM

On Friday I had cause to travel by truck from Millstream Rd. to Tyee road at ten to eight in the morning. I was driving East towards Victoria on the TCH when all traffic came to a halt or at least a slow crawl at the Thetis lake overpass. I turned off the highway down to Six Mile road where traffic was at a complete standstill. We slowly started moving and as I passed underneath the rail bridge I realized that most of the people stuck in traffic that morning would probably have taken the train in to town if it ran frequently and conveniently. In the end it took 15 minutes to get on to the Old Island Highway and another 25 minutes to get to West-side Village.

#50 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

The tunnel idea is an interesting idea. Here are some more ideas to add to your map. I have done something a little different.

#51 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

This new alignment would be mostly single track, except passing sidings, just before the bridge, near Market Square or Centennial Square, and at the terminal itself (perhaps 3 track stub). The new bridge would also be single track.

Aaron

#52 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

Man I wish we could have something like that :) Though I wonder why you have made a new bridge for the rail seems to me it could go under ground once it comes off the bridge.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

Turning the Pandora lot into a transit station is an interesting idea. It seems to be a nearly ideal junction at which riders could transfer from the north/south route to either the Langford route or the UVic route.

#54 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:51 PM

Turning the Pandora lot into a transit station is an interesting idea. It seems to be a nearly ideal junction at which riders could transfer from the north/south route to either the Langford route or the UVic route.

What about the PCL's and the Gray Lines?

Will this node work?

#55 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

Man I wish we could have something like that :) Though I wonder why you have made a new bridge for the rail seems to me it could go under ground once it comes off the bridge.

There is a reason to my madness :)

The portal for the tunnel will probably take up at least 2 lanes of traffic. Based on my surveys of the route, the grade from the bridge to Douglas st, is not steep enough to have a level tunnel. My thinking is to build a new alignment from west of the bridge, lowering the new tracks and then moving them across a new lower bridge to a portal. The steepness of the bank along Store St side is sufficent enough to allow a tunnel entrance. There is not enough space to put a tunnel entrance right after the Johnston St Bridge. You would need enough distance to build a gradual descending grade to take the trains beneath Pandora Ave.

Aaron

I hope that makes sense.

Aaron

#56 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:59 PM

What about the PCL's and the Gray Lines?

Will this node work?

I heard that the new bus terminal is to built just north of Pandora Ave. Somewhere near Herald and Government near Rock Bay?

At the same time the future route of the downtown streetcar line is only a block away (refer to my streetcar route map in the Tram/Streetcar thread) Also the start of the new BRT line is at the old Bay Building, which is only about a 5min walk away.

#57 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:04 PM

How far would you have tp carry your bags from Discovery and Store to Douglas and Pandora..?

#58 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:14 PM

How far would you have tp carry your bags from Discovery and Store to Douglas and Pandora..?

Its about a 10min walk.

Actually the streetcar route is along Government st, a block from the future terminal at Pandora & Douglas (less than 5 min by walking).
A new streetcar loop to serve this new terminal could also be possible.

I am sure something can be worked out to make it convienent for the smooth transfer of passengers between streetcars, buses, trains and taxis in this area.

#59 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:07 AM

Why is it a terminal and not just a station for the East, West train from UVIC to Esquimalt?

#60 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:38 PM

Wonder if the oldtimers who had one rail terminal near City Hall and another near the Johnson St. bridge ever tried to make a Union Station?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users