Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

That really looks a lot like uptown

#1582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

I guess I'll put this here.

Amtrak and BNSF have cancelled trains between Vancouver and Seattle following a landslide near White Rock. Soil conditions have affected the track and a 48-hour moratorium on all rail traffic has been instated.

Amtrak is providing alternate transportation options for travellers heading to and from Vancouver via Seattle.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1583 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

I'm curious about the cost of putting the train underground (cut and fill) vs grade separation by elevating. I realize that the cost of either would be way beyond what we can spend, but what do you think would be cheaper?

#1584 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Cut is always more expensive. That's why most systems with underground pop up eventually!

#1585 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

Underground definitely won't happen. Not till condos are worth $5000/sqft....

#1586 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

E&N Railway thread is locked for some unknown reason so this is the next place to post this video from today..just to let all know rail is still alive and well in Nanaimo

http://youtu.be/bt3nGqvIeqM

• Baro, Nparker and On the Level like this

#1587 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

Initially they're looking at purely a commuter train, so hourly departures from Langford Lake area in the morning and reverse in the evening. They're expecting 30 minutes to town.

The question was asked about having terminal at the newly created park at the end of the trestle by the Johnson Street Bridge. It makes more sense in that people can see downtown and walk to it, just like you would if you at a subway station in a large city. The answer that that there wasn't enough room to have busses stopping there.

(From the Encore thread)

Every hour does not seem very good.  Who would want to wait up to 55 minutes for a train when a bus goes every 10 minutes?

And then a bus at the downtown end?  Oh my.  

• 57WestHills likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1588 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

the initial schedule is based on funding. as more funding becomes available and ridership increases, more trains are possible.

When the O-Train first started, it was every 15mins with 3 Bombardier Talents and one passing siding at Carleton Station which was at the mid point. It is now every 7.5 to 12 minutes with 6 Alstom Lints and I believe 3 passing sidings.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1589 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

I should add, that yes, having to walk a few extra minutes or transfer to a bus in Vic West sucks, but you have Victoria Council to thank for that and the fact the Province didnt't help to fund a portion of the johnson st bridge project.

but that is water under the bridge now

lets see how this plays out after the feasibility study is completed at the end of the summer

and this may sound stupid to some of you, but I would love to get involve with this project and design a station

• Nparker likes this

#1590 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

Hope this works, but this is an article from Rail & Transit Magazine, dated from April 1996 on the Regio Sprinter demonstration in Calgary. In 1998 a similar demonstration was to be worked out here in Victoria on the E&N but it was killed by Nimbys, short sighted local officials and CP Rail's unwillingless to support it as they were in the process of selling the line.

Oh well....

Attached Images

• Regio Sprinter1.jpg
  • Regio Sprinter2.jpg
  • Regio Sprinter3.jpg

#1591 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

A journey starts with a single step..., plus we have these super computers in our pockets to help guide our lives so we show up for the train and only wait five minutes. Most people go to work at the same time every day so they hopefully can manage to figure it out even without digital aids....
  • Nparker and tedward like this

#1592 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:43 PM

The starting schedule was for just one train. So from Langford you get something like 5:45, 6:45, 7:45, 9:45, with an hour round trip for the single train. You can run two trains on the track to increase the departures.

People can schedule their days around the departure, particularly if the train trip is much faster than a car/bus commute. You also don't have to find or pay for parking.

I still find stopping at Catherine Street problematic. It is far enough out of downtown to deter most walkers. Having a stop at the foot of the JSB is that feeling of already being "downtown" or near your destination. Many people would happily walk a few blocks into downtown rather than having to wait for a bus.

That said, if the bus timing is spot on, most people won't care. There are lots of places in the world where a quick bus transfer is a matter of course. Frankfurt airport drops many passengers off on the tarmac and loads then on a bus to the terminal. In Marseille you take a train to just outside the airport and a bus is waiting to drive you in.

#1593 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:04 PM

The E&N Train Station stood at Catherine for years and years (before the downtown station was built at the bridge) and worked great..infant the foundation for that train station is still there its a good spot.

Lots of parking potential there for pick up drop off

#1594 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:56 AM

A journey starts with a single step..., plus we have these super computers in our pockets to help guide our lives so we show up for the train and only wait five minutes. Most people go to work at the same time every day so they hopefully can manage to figure it out even without digital aids....

And that is the crux of the problem.

So if the train leaves at 7:10am and 8:10am.

And lots of people leave for work at:

6:50am

7:00am

7:10am

7:20am

7:30am

7:40am

7:50am

8:00am etc...

Who will take the train?

They also have to hope the return trip does not mean a 30-minute wait in town too.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1595 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

I think that is what the feasibility study will determine

#1596 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

My station drawings

The first two is at the foot of the bridge beside the Mercedes Dealership and the the last one is along Kimta Rd.

Attached Images

• Vic West Station Site.jpg
  • Vic West Station Site- Profile.jpg
  • Vic West Station copy.jpg

• Bingo, jonny, DavidSchell and 1 other like this

#1597 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

That said, if the bus timing is spot on, most people won't care. There are lots of places in the world where a quick bus transfer is a matter of course. Frankfurt airport drops many passengers off on the tarmac and loads then on a bus to the terminal. In Marseille you take a train to just outside the airport and a bus is waiting to drive you in.

Worst first world airport I have ever been to.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1598 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:15 AM

My station drawings

The first two is at the foot of the bridge beside the Mercedes Dealership and the the last one is along Kimta Rd.

Hey, this is great work!

• UrbanRail likes this

#1599 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

Cut is always more expensive. That's why most systems with underground pop up eventually!

Cut and cover is way cheaper than boreing tunnels, its a method used in soft-ground conditions. Toronto's Yonge St. subway line is largely cut and cover while Montreal's is mostly bored.
The key is to keep the line as level as possible so underground lines do pop up now and then according to terrain etc. In the Montreal system Villa Maria station platform is maybe 100 feet deep while the next station south at Vendome is nearly at the surface.

#1600 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

oh and since there are concerns about costs,  I will take a pay cut on designing the stations, from $40 to $18 and hour. J/K

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users