[Rail] Commuter rail

• Please log in to reply
3104 replies to this topic

#1681 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:26 AM

I like your idea to combine housing with rail, it's brilliant!

Thanks, I've been saying that for years. ;)

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1682 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:28 AM

Yep. That's the point. We build the service and then approve reasonably dense development along the line. If we build it they will come!

You are exactly right, I lived in Metro Town when the first line went in from New Westminster to downtown Vancouver.

It did not take long before each station had whole communities spring up, becoming high density areas.

• Nparker, tedward and Danma like this

#1683 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

You are exactly right, I lived in Metro Town when the first line went in from New Westminster to downtown Vancouver.

It did not take long before each station had whole communities spring up, becoming high density areas.

But with no agreement in place beforehand, Esquimalt residents near the tracks now are likely to complain about noise and vibration, rather than embracing more density.  I'm actually not sure what's even in it for Esquimalt.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1684 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

...Esquimalt residents near the tracks now are likely to complain about noise and vibration, rather than embracing more density...

To be fair, have any neighbourhoods in the core expressed an interest in embracing more density?

• tedward and Danma like this

#1685 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

I find that hard to believe.  You may see some that are very visible (pink, orange), but I bet it's the exception still.

You think that most international students don't buy expensive cars when they're here? I think most do (or at least lease them).

That one VV (Mike) posted on Facebook - galaxy wrap or whatever - that is a UVic student - i can't say for sure its an International one though...).

#1686 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

The Expo line was built with a guarantee that development would follow and all communities were on board with that vision. We'd be doing it all backwards in Victoria and that's extremely poor planning, especially if we do so with the thinking that thousands of people will want to buy homes along the line in lieu of other areas, and do so in a very short amount of time.

We only have to look to Edmonton to see how terribly planned their LRT was. It was only in the last decade that they extended the line south to follow development patterns and ridership finally started to creep up. Before then, and to this day north of downtown, it's a bit of a travesty.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1687 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

But with no agreement in place beforehand, Esquimalt residents near the tracks now are likely to complain about noise and vibration, rather than embracing more density. I'm actually not sure what's even in it for Esquimalt.

Lol. Check out the FIRST post in this 11 year-old, 85 page thread:

"Some of Esquimalt's civic leaders aren't keen to support a group pushing for a commuter rail link between Langford and Victoria."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1688 Gil Resch

Gil Resch
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

A couple comments. First, the Edmonton traffic growth is partly, or mainly(?), attributable to the University and other colleges making a deal with the City ten years ago that mandated that ALL students buy annual transit passes, whether or not they ever used them. Second, the transit system has struggled for some time to provide parking at the ends of lines, and stations, at subsidized prices. Three, newer equipment and properly constructed roadbeds eliminate the vibration problems. Vibration and  home foundation structural damage is more closely related to the construction phase. Four, the real noise problems are attributed to signals and horns.  Surprisingly, to some, loud audible signals do not add to safety. Quality and numerous visual signals(flashing lights) and barrier bars  and many passive safety measures are sufficient to meet safety needs for commuter trains at reasonable speeds. Think about audible signals: Anyone who ignores numerous flashing lights and drives through barrier bars with flashing lights which have slowly dropped, is unlikely to be stopped by any active audibles. Most modern cars are very noise tight. Add to that drivers with AC or heating fans up and music systems geared up and/or talking to or at their cell.

• Mike K. likes this

#1689 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

They are going to promise LRT in time for the Commonwealth games in order to get buy-in for both these money losers.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1690 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

They are going to promise LRT in time for the Commonwealth games in order to get buy-in for both ...

I sure hope so. These sort of infrastructure projects are usually the only tangible, positive legacy of such events and if we can use the games to leverage extra funds out of the Federal and Provincial Governments, well done!  ;)

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1691 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

International students typically purchase cars while they're here. That demographic overwhelmingly uses personal vehicles to travel to and from UVic.

We have hosted international students for many years.  Not one has purchased a car.  Granted these are students coming in UVIC's homestay program. They do come and study anywhere between 1 month and 1 year.

#1692 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

Oh yeah, that's a different gimmick, I think. I'm referring more-so to international students who move here to complete a full UVic degree and are not part of a homestay program. These are the students who are renting apartments or who are buying condos during their time here.

Know it all.

#1693 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

Oh yeah, that's a different gimmick, I think. I'm referring more-so to international students who move here to complete a full UVic degree and are not part of a homestay program. These are the students who are renting apartments or who are buying condos during their time here.

Fair enough.

#1694 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

They are going to promise LRT in time for the Commonwealth games in order to get buy-in for both these money losers.

LRT in place for the games is a sure thing, but that place is not here.

• aastra likes this

#1695 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

Something that I have been working on.

Attached Images

• Proposal.png

• Nparker, Bingo, tedward and 2 others like this

#1696 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

The idea of extra lanes on the TransCanada west of McKenzie is just plain nonsense as we haven't finished the current project extending west of the new interchange.

If this 2022 Commonwealth Games bid is determined to go ahead with plans for a new 40,000 seat stadium on the Westshore, the money could be better spent providing an alternative to extra highway lanes on the TC to bring spectators coming from downtown hotels to that stadium.

Here is the opportunity to double track the existing E&N right of way from Langford to the Johnson Street Bridge, or at least provide some sections of passing sidings.

There could also be a spur line from the E&N over to the recreational facilities and a huge chunk of undeveloped land near the Juan de Fuca Rec Centre, utilizing part of the Galloping Goose right of way.

Light rail is the best alternative for getting the thousands of spectators, volunteers and athletes back and forth.

If the CRD truly wants a legacy from the games that will be of lasting value, upgrading this long talked about and undervalued piece of land should be a priority in any bid for the games.

More about the games bid here;  http://www.timescolo...dium-1.21938873

#1697 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

Impossible timeline for 2022.  Around here it takes about 5 years for a simple 4-floor building to be a approved and completed.

LRT would take about 8 years.

Sewage plant takes about 26 years.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 August 2017 - 07:08 AM.

• aastra and Nparker like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1698 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

Impossible timeline for 2022.

Improving the rail line is more realistic time wise than all the other aspects of construction for holding the games.

#1699 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:12 AM

Improving the rail line is more realistic time wise than all the other aspects of construction for holding the games.

Most game attendees do not even live along the line, not sure who would be taking it.  The largest portion of games attendees will be from the Peninsula, Oak Bay, and Saanich.  Retired folks that can go see stuff mid-week.  Just increase buses from those areas.   Our roads are not very stressed mid-day.  If most events start at 10am or later, there is not much impact.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 August 2017 - 07:14 AM.

#1700 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

Most game attendees do not even live along the line, not sure who would be taking it.  The largest portion of games attendees will be from the Peninsula, Oak Bay, and Saanich.  Retired folks that can go see stuff mid-week.  Just increase buses from those areas.   Our roads are not very stressed mid-day.  If most events start at 10am or later, there is not much impact.

I disagree. If you think the "crawl" on the TC is bad now add all of the extra traffic for the games.

I am talking about a legacy that has some lasting value, and here is an opportunity to get it paid for.

Personally I don't think we need the Games in Victoria, but if they want to make a bid, upgrading the rail line is an option to consider.

I know you like to say "the train will never run", but there are visionaries that think otherwise and I am actually talking to them.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users