The Residences at Utopia
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 2871 Jacklin Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Residences at Utopia is a 90-unit, four-storey woodframe mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Residences at Utopia on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] The Residences at Utopia | 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2012

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

You know, I don't recall from our conversation exactly what the soundproofing technology is but I do recall something about double drywall or something like space between two sheets of drywall plus insulation, something to that effect.

Floors have 1+ inches of concrete to eliminate noise from units above. That I do remember.

I don't think there would be a problem with offering a bare unit. But this may come at a price if it requires additional resources from the developer.

From what I recall the patios on the second floor are the largest (they're huge, actually) and units facing onto Jacklin and Orono also have larger patios. The smallest patios, which aren't too bad considering what is available at the 834 and the like, are on units facing onto the courtyard.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

You know, I don't recall from our conversation exactly what the soundproofing technology is but I do recall something about double drywall or something like space between two sheets of drywall plus insulation, something to that effect.

Floors have 1+ inches of concrete to eliminate noise from units above. That I do remember.

A thin layer (1.5" of concrete is thin) does virtually nothing to stop sound. Ask me how I know :P

I like her approach. If she's successful with this project then hopefully there will be more and the overall quality of condos might start to edge up.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

I don't think there would be a problem with offering a bare unit. But this may come at a price if it requires additional resources from the developer.

CAUTION here. Buyers, and particularly first-time buyers, don't know what they want, and they don't have an imagination or creativity, or at least 95% don't. Those that do will approach you earlier and ask for a bare unit.

Better to give them a few choices, but no too many.

I speak for some experience, I sold 60 condos circa 1996-97 mostly to first-timers. NO IMAGINATION. In one building, the realtor and I sold 40 units. Only ONE person asked for an appliance change, to self-clean up from easy-clean. We didn't offer upgrades per se, but tellingly, only one person enquired, we gave them the upgrade price, they paid it. One person. 39 others just took what we gave 'em. 195 machines, as we specified.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

I wonder what the reasoning behind "I'll take what comes with it" is.

Do they not know they can specify something else? Do they simply not care? Perhaps they don't know that such features as soft-close drawers are even available.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

The condo industry doesn't seem to communicate to buyers how they can customize their units. Savvier buyers know the drill but first timers (undoubtedly many condo buyers are first time condo buyers) are likely concerned about pushing unit costs even marginally higher than what they're already likely to pay.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

I went and looked at one building under construction. Fancy show suite but the salesperson didn't really know anything about customization. I asked if I could heat the kitchen floor and choose my own cabinetry/countertops and his response was "well why don't you like the quartz counters?"

#27 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

Does this building come with storage lockers?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:26 AM

I went and looked at one building under construction. Fancy show suite but the salesperson didn't really know anything about customization. I asked if I could heat the kitchen floor and choose my own cabinetry/countertops and his response was "well why don't you like the quartz counters?"

Poor response. It should have been "well, at the point we are in construction, there certainly are some changes that can be made, of course they will have some cost attached, and the window is closing on some options, but if you are quite serious about the purchase, we can get going on a provisional contract, and see what we can build into that contract in terms of the changes we are talking about. If we are ready to go into that level of detail, let's sit down and write up a provisional contract. A deposit of $1000 is required at this point - now that is refundable upon certain conditions - but it does represent a commitment that we are going forward on the purchase as best we both can".

See, told you I used to sell condos.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

^See, the vendor was more likely thinking, why don't they like the countertops? Did we screw up and choose an unpopular design?

#30 JRB

JRB
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

website is up and running Utopia Condos Langford BC and yes all units have bike/storage lockers.....cheers JRB

#31 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

Nice places, good prices. Aircon in each unit. Nice.

#32 JRB

JRB
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Utopia update........ following up on previous postings ....deck sizes are min.of 78 sq. ft and up to 650 sq ft ....it costs more to install indiv. water heaters w/ proper safety drainage and yes they do take up space, but hw. delivery is faster and you control your own hw. costs verses the abuses of hw usage when hw. is a common strata cost........for the technical minded the code for sound proofing for corridor and party walls is STC of 50, elevators STC 55 , etc. the UTOPIA NO.S ARE party walls STC 57 , corridors STC 52, elevators STC 55 , and floors at STC of 64. these are comparable to those reported in AQUATTRO and are, I am told, very high for the selling price point of these units especially considering all the other cutting edge aspects of this development.......cheers JRB

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

^ Ah, good info, thanks!

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

STC of 64 for floors is very good, and if accurate it means quite a bit more material went into building the seperation than a standard build would call for, likely including decoupling the ceiling drywall from the joists supporting the upstairs floor. I'd be interested to see the open framing and exact materials and techniques in person.

I still disagree on the benefits of in-suite hot water tanks. I don't see how less overall energy is used keeping 80 hot water tanks hot than one large tank. I know in my building a single 80 gallon tank takes care of 27 suites and with the circulation pump, the water at the tap turns hot in less time than it takes in most single family houses I've been in.

#35 JRB

JRB
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

yes you are right of course overall energy use in theory would be less but as I also have a suite in the 834 and find that not only does the hot water seem to take a long time to come at all the facets but i fear the uncontrolled use of hw will cost more down the road ....cheers JRB.......also the individual heat pumps should contribute greatly to overall energy effiency don't you think?

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

I think the individual heat pumps are a fantastic idea. In fact I wanted to do that here at home but it would cost too much.

I see in the photos the indoor unit mounted above the door leading to the balcony. Is the outdoor unit on the balcony? Are the outdoor units capable of operating two indoor units?

I know what our building uses for gas and water, but I don't know what the average family pays to run a hot water heater in BC so I can't make any direct comparisons.

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

I still disagree on the benefits of in-suite hot water tanks. I don't see how less overall energy is used keeping 80 hot water tanks hot than one large tank. I know in my building a single 80 gallon tank takes care of 27 suites and with the circulation pump, the water at the tap turns hot in less time than it takes in most single family houses I've been in.

80 gallons for 27 suites, really? That sounds awfully small. At busy times I would think that would be very limiting. I have a 50 gallon tank for my house.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

I don't know, might be a bit bigger. I'm just eyeballing it. The boiler next to it keeps it very hot and heats it quickly.

#39 JRB

JRB
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:07 AM

196144[/URL]]I think the individual heat pumps are a fantastic idea. In fact I wanted to do that here at home but it would cost too much.

I see in the photos the indoor unit mounted above the door leading to the balcony. Is the outdoor unit on the balcony? Are the outdoor units capable of operating two indoor units?

Yes you are correct the condenser is mounted on the deck side railing and the exchanger is mounted above the patio door . The capacity of the Mitsubishi "Mr. Slim" heat pumps are matched to the units size range, they are whisper quiet, provide allergen filtered air and are individually programmed to heat or cool one unit only....cheers JRB

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:09 AM

80 gallons for 27 suites, really? That sounds awfully small. At busy times I would think that would be very limiting. I have a 50 gallon tank for my house.

We had 2x 80 gallons for 63 suites where I lived, seemed to work. Gas fired, so obviously much faster than electric.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users