Photo

Ratings and general radio info

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

Now that is neat Holden - thanks for that. We used to have an old 1940's radio console, inherited from my grandfather, the size of a sideboard cupboard. It was shortwave/AM designed to link to a tall roof antenna. The dinner dish sized tuning wheel was designated with stations like Radio Luxembourg and shipping channels.

Inside we found clippings of the Times London (1940/50's era), with daily lists of radio frequencies and show schedules from all over the world.

Your pic brought some family history to mind.

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

Earth Liberation Front uses excavator to topple Washington radio tower.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

would have been fun to be there when it went crash bang!

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Crazy, wonder where they got the excavator....

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:07 AM

More towers are de-erected, this time on purpose:

o9v2M10xDgM

These were the towers for TEAM 1040 sports in Vancouver. Does anyone remember years ago when it was an alternative rock station? They weren't permitted to make the jump to FM and sadly it died.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

1040 KICKS I believe.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:24 AM

^It appears that was before it was COAST 1040. I loved that station. Imagine a hipper alternative JACK FM.

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

Fall ratings are in.

CBC down a bit and C-FAX up a bit.

#29 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:07 PM

Here is a 2002 post of the history of KJR channel 95 from Seattle. Interesting reading for those of us from that era.

posted by Wendi @ 5:06 am in Random Commentary | Permalink | Comments (2)

http://slumberland.o...06/10/#comments

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about Quick 96, a new radio format in town. As I guessed, it was a format change stunt after all. After only a couple of days, Quick 96 disappeared — to be replaced by a new old station — KJR 95.7 FM. They are back to the old KJR call letters and jingle, and playing “hits of the 60s and 70s.” It’s just about the most boring baby-boomer-targeted format you can imagine, but I can forgive them slightly since they went back to the traditional KJR jingle and call sign of my childhood.

For those new to the area: KJR 950 AM, for decades, was the #1 pop music station in Seattle (frequently #1 station overall). I grew up listening to KJR, and during the ’70s it was pretty good. It was top 40, yeah, but it played everything that was in the top 40, which meant you’d hear Shaun Cassidy followed by KISS followed by the Village People followed by Barry freakin’ Manilow — everything, back to back (except for the “terminally non-commercial” new wave and punk bands. Their day would come). There is no such diversity on the airwaves anymore. Stations narrowcast much more these days.

It seemed, in the mid-late 70s, that every other car on the road had a yellow KJR sticker in the back window.

Then in about 1980, KJR mellowed out. Part of this was that the Top 40 turned to **** all at once — “adult contemporary” and country music were in vogue. KJR backed off from the youthful market they had always served (right at the time my age group, older Gen Xers, was starting to fully occupy that demographic) so that they could follow the baby-boomers into yuppiedom. Of course, this format change was pretty universal throughout the industry. The old Top 40 formats no longer exist, replaced by narrowcasting. I switched fro KJR to KZAM-AM 1540 (rock of the 80s in modern mono) and later to KJET (more rock of the 80s), KYYX (the Wave) and KCMU (”ridin’ the new wave”). (In 1982-83, though, I worked at KJR as an intern. By then it was already well into its slide from the ratings heights of the ’70s.)

Eventually KJR 950 became a sports-talk station. The folks who owned it (by then, the Ackerley group) picked up 95.7 FM, gave it the call sign KJR, re-recorded the old “KJR, Seattle, Channel 95!” jingle (adding a “.7″ on the
end — you can hear this modern version on the web site), and played “Hits of the 70s” through much of the 1990s. The sad thing was that they didn’t play half of the stuff that they really DID play in the 70s. It was a narrowcast format, once again, and heavily focused on the earlier 70s music while ignoring the disco/hard rock/teeny-bop music my junior-high friends and I really listened to on KJR in the late 70s.

Then they changed to Mix 97 (could we be any more generic?), followed by the Beat (at least that was a format — old school R&B) otherwise nonexistent in the area). Now, they are back to the old traditional name. If only they were good. Sure, there are some good songs, as with any classic station, but it’s really nothing to get excited about. Still, despite the blandness of the format, there is a part of me that gets a little happy when I hear that old jingle. I wish they’d play the old vintage jingles instead of the modernized version.

#30 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

I can hear the jingle in my head.

"KJR Seattle channel 95"

#31 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

1979 clip of CKDA (realaudio):

http://rockradioscra...charliewest.ram

#32 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

^Air Canada and Pacific Western Airlines running on time out of Victoria airport. Heh.

1986: CKDA frequency switchover:

http://www.radiowest...ckdaswitch.html

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:32 PM

Canada's newest sports radio station is building its lineup starting at the crack of dawn as Sportsnet's Starting Lineup with Cybulski, Darling and Laurence has been named the morning show for Vancouver'sSportsnet 650 all-sports radio station. The show, which launches September 4 and will air Monday to Friday from 6 to 10 a.m. PT, features James CybulskiSteve Darling and Mira Laurence

"James, Steve and Mira are a dynamic trio with a tremendous amount of experience and sports knowledge that will be invaluable to Sportsnet 650, the morning show and, most importantly, sports fans in Vancouver," said Craig MacEwen, Program Director, Sportsnet 650. "These three talents are not only excellent at what they do, but they are also exemplary members of the community, giving back through various charitable efforts. We are thrilled to have them on the Sportsnet 650 team."

Cybulski is an award-winning broadcaster who brings 25 years of experience to the role. He's a familiar face in Vancouverhaving first worked here from 2000-2004 as the Bureau Chief for The Score. He returned to the west coast in 2013 to join Sportsnet Pacific and most recently worked with the NEWS 1130 team in Vancouver. Cybulski has covered three Olympic Games, the Stanley Cup, Grey Cup, NBA Finals, World Series, The Masters, World Juniors and more over the course of his career.

http://www.newswire....-632668953.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:04 AM

Fall 2017

vicbbmfa17.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#35 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

I take the task of listening to CFAX and I tell you it is utter trash.  12-18 minutes of content an hour, with only 1, maybe 2, decent quality local hosts remaining.  Content squarely shaped for the 45+ vehicle commuter.

• Coreyburger likes this

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

Ya, Evan Solomon is not likeable, either.  I'm not ever gonna listen to that slot.

#37 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

North of Lee's Hill it's always CBC, south of Lee's Hill it's always the Zone, unless CBC is playing an interesting show then it'll stay on CBC. lol!

Matt.

#38 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:00 PM

Having lived in Vancouver twice during the period 1987-2002 and being a huge fan like most lower mainland radio listeners, I often wondered what happened to the Willy (Percy) half of the "Larry and Willy Show" fame which ruled popular music airwaves in Vancouver for 25+ years.

This week we find out Willy has landed at Q107 - in Calgary of all places. It'll be interesting to see how well he does without longtime sidekick "Larry" (Hennessey) and in Calgary to boot. Last I heard "Larry" was at JACK-FM in Vancouver although that was over 18 months ago so who knows now. Man under Corus the radio landscape in this country really has gone to shyte....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 13 August 2019 - 07:01 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#39 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:10 AM

Having lived in Vancouver twice during the period 1987-2002 and being a huge fan like most lower mainland radio listeners, I often wondered what happened to the Willy (Percy) half of the "Larry and Willy Show" fame which ruled popular music airwaves in Vancouver for 25+ years.

This week we find out Willy has landed at Q107 - in Calgary of all places. It'll be interesting to see how well he does without longtime sidekick "Larry" (Hennessey) and in Calgary to boot. Last I heard "Larry" was at JACK-FM in Vancouver although that was over 18 months ago so who knows now. Man under Corus the radio landscape in this country really has gone to shyte....

Willy has been the morning show host for Rock 101 in Vancouver since 2013. He'll be on both Vancouver and Calgary stations and doing it from Vancouver.

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,333 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:17 AM

Last I heard "Larry" was at JACK-FM in Vancouver although that was over 18 months ago so who knows now. Man under Corus the radio landscape in this country really has gone to shyte....

JACK UP THE 80s with Larry Hennessey!

JACK 96.9 and Larry Hennessey bring the party to the airwaves weekdays from Noon to 1pm with JACK UP THE 80’s presented by Sukhi Bath Motors.   Larry dives into his own music catalogue to play hidden gems, along with lost favourites and stellar hairband ballads off his personal collection of vinyl.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 August 2019 - 03:17 AM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users