Photo

Saanich Roadhouse Bar & Grill | Saanich

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 peanutflower

peanutflower
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

The Roadhouse is pretty good. I go there a lot. Some things are a bit hit and miss, but generally it's just fine. Especially when you compare it to what was there before. Jeff and Chris really have a love for the business, and I'm not sure exactly why they would be termed "scuzzy". I have friends who have worked there since it opened, and they treat their employees really well. Jeff is pretty picky about who he hires, but if he likes you and you work hard it's a great place to work. It's been for sale because that's just what Jeff and Chris do, they find a place, build it, get it going, and then move on to something else. Jeff already has another business going. Maybe they are ADD or something. Anyway, for what it is and where it is the Roadhouse definitely fills a niche. There isn't anything around that area, it's a nice place to go and sit, the food is passably good, the beer is cold, the patio is great, and waht more do you want? There are plenty of worse places.

#22 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

and waht more do you want? There are plenty of worse places.

Cell phone coverage and wifi!

You asked ...

#23 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

Jeff and Chris really have a love for the business, and I'm not sure exactly why they would be termed "scuzzy."

As it is poor form to impugn competitors, all I will add is that the Wilson's have a reputation in this city and most industry folks in the know will tell you that it is very well-deserved.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

It will not re-open on April 1st, at least not under present ownership.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:37 PM

The for sale / lease sign was removed today, but the sign structure is still in place.

#26 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

I hope it opens again. The menu was great, the service was good and it's a neat place to go on a hot evening.

If I had one gripe, it would be those tall stools.

#27 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

I bought some theatre tickets on groupon, half off, good deal!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#28 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

I hope it opens again. The menu was great, the service was good and it's a neat place to go on a hot evening.

Your wish is my command mighty Schnook.

Tonight on my way home the sign says open in April, and something about a St. Paddy's night.

#29 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

I bought some theatre tickets on groupon, half off, good deal!

I guess they do dinner theater there now?:P

#30 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

^ Baro must be blogging without glasses on. Risky business. :)

#31 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the good news, mighty Sparky!

Baro is probably referring to the Groupon banner that appears across the top of this board. I don't like to encourage online advertisers, but the occasional click probably supports this forum.

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

He probably meant to respond to the Groupon thread.

#33 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

Tonight on my way home the sign says open in April, and something about a St. Paddy's night.

Uhh, St. Paddy's night in April?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#34 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

Uhh, St. Paddy's night in April?

http://www.saanichroadhouse.com/

I don't know........open close?/?

I am just a drive by info guy

#35 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

Not a big fan of the pricing on the menu on-line. 13 1/4 , 13 1/2, 13 3/4 , 6 3/4 . Why not just put 14 , 13 1/4 looks more expensive to me (too many digits). Seems awkwardly worded on many of the descriptions.

http://www.saanichro...se.com/menu.htm

#36 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

The for sale sign has been resurrected today.

quoted from this website http://www.naibusine...ss_listings.asp

MOTIVATED VENDOR. PRICE SLASHED The original building was constructed in 1950 for the Cock & Pheasant Restaurant and later operated as the Prospector and more recently as the El Rancho. Since being purchased by the Wilson brothers in August 2007 the entire building has been re-built from the ground up and re-equipped with new kitchen(s) and furnishings to the highest industry standards.
Price: $2,300,000

In all fairness, a couple of clarifications are required here. The building was originally the residence of Mr. Hunter, who as luck would have it, blew himself up with dynamite clearing stumps. After that it was purchased by Mrs Sowden who operated it as a "Tea House" known as the "Cock Pheasant". It was not operated as a restaurant until it was purchased by Paul and Ulla Nielsen after Paul retired from the chef's position at the Legislature.

I will scan and post some old pics when I find them.

Oh boy, I made it to the 1500 post mark.........I will never catch VHF. :)

#37 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

For those interested in the business only, the asking price is $275,000 http://www.naibusine...aseBrochure.PDF

I hope someone buys this who wants to make killer breakfasts and lunches.

#38 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

^ I see business only price at $525,000.....am I missing something?

no mention of monthly rent

#39 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:14 AM

Rare opportunity to purchase a turnkey pub-style restaurant (Business Only) Central Saanich location 37,025 sq. ft. site with approximately 30 on-site parking stalls Pub/Restaurant with Food Primary liquor license Completely rebuilt to highest industry standards. Price: $275,000Sale Type: Assets
http://www.naibusine...ss_listings.asp

Just scroll down a bit on the above URL and you'll see the slashed price of $275,000.

#40 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

The Wilson brothers lied to us Schnook.....it would appear that this project is dying of a financial death.

No April opening.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users