Photo

Saanich Roadhouse Bar & Grill | Saanich

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

I suspect it's the old story: new owner with visions of sugarplums incurs wayyy too much fixer-upper debt and realizes too late that the revenue isn't coming in as expected and he's in too deep.

Now, with the market in a cooling cycle, potential buyers sit on the sidelines waiting for 'their' price. They may wait a while.

A doggone shame. It WAS fun and good.

Anybody want to turn it into a Tim Horton's franchise? :D

#42 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

It has struggled over the years from being under capitalized. At least it is now in good condition for the next operator.

#43 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:29 AM

I'd be in for a Tim's franchise. However, they tell YOU where it's going to go, not the other way around.

My new goal is to own a Timmy's by the time I'm 40. :)

Matt.

#44 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

I'd be in for a Tim's franchise. However, they tell YOU where it's going to go, not the other way around.

My new goal is to own a Timmy's by the time I'm 40. :)

Matt.

Don't wait too long, you don't want to be working 18 hour days when you're too old, and that's what you will be doing for the first 5 years.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#45 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

18 hour days? Sounds like a nice little break to me. :)

Matt.

#46 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

^Go for it then, you will make a good living out of it.

#47 peanutflower

peanutflower
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

My daughter, who used to bartend at the Roadhouse, said that it was sold and reopening August 5th. She didn't know much more than "a couple of people from Langford who have a restaurant already."

#48 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

Went by there yesterday and it still had a big for sale sign out front.

#49 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:58 PM

Went by there yesterday and it still had a big for sale sign out front.

I think it says "for lease" as well.

Mrs Sparky witnessed a lot of people looking at a lot of stuff this morning.

Our youngest daughter, who works at Uncle Rob's gas station next door has not heard any street news.

I would support any opening....it's quite a nice building now.

#50 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

Drove by the Roadhouse an hour ago and behind the for lease/sale sign I think I saw another sign that says "under new ownership opening August 9th"

I am very exited about this news. Anyone know the new operator(s).....or menu style.....please chime in.

Otherwise stay tuned.

#51 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

Great! A new place in the neighbourhood to go for lunch.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:26 AM

Totally.

So Dylan and I ventured up to the tech park in Saanich to see if there were any lunch offerings. We turned right around when we realized pay parking was in effect.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#53 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

Saanich Roadhouse is advertising in usedvictoria.com for staff. Opening date is August 9.

No time to renovate. Will it remain the same style of restaurant/pub?

#54 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

It was in good condition when it closed. I am looking forward to it re-opening. Our daughter worked there for a while a year or so ago.

It was fun to stop for a hug and a beer on my way home from work.

Anyone know who the new operator(s) is/are?

#55 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

Mike, their ad in used Victoria says they will be open Tuesday to Sunday 11:00 am till late.

You and Dylan will be able to add it to your lunch spot list.

#56 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

I have news. Here is a link to the restaurant that Marc and Fran own now. The menu for the Roadhouse will most likely be somewhat different, but it would appear that they know what they are doing.

http://evedarsbistro.ca/

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Mike, their ad in used Victoria says they will be open Tuesday to Sunday 11:00 am till late.

You and Dylan will be able to add it to your lunch spot list.

Nice :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

The Roadhouse opened tonight and I liked it. They have a very broad menu from burgers to steaks. The joint was packed and very energetic. They were well staffed and was more organized than I would have expected.

#59 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:04 AM

I went for a burger and beer this evening. The decor seems unchanged. The menu is a little more pricey than family dining ($15.00 for a burger and fries, $5.50 for a pint on tap) with greater focus on pub food than before (no more upscale entrees), but the burger was hot and good and the place was crawling with people. Two vehicles were waiting for a parking stall when I walked to my car afterward. I congratulated 'Fran,' the new owner, and she expressed concern at not having advertised the opening. Judging by the crowd, I think she should save her advertising dollars.

As I have said elsewhere on this board, one charges whatever price the market will bear. At $50 for two burgers and beer, I will not be back for several weeks, but I will be back. People at the next table were likewise bothered by price. $50 would buy more groceries. So the crowd speaks well for discretionary spending: lots of people are still willing to pay a premium for eating out. You get the same feeling downtown these days. Hope it lasts.

#60 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

Give it a month and then check back. A lot of people check out new restaurants when they first open and then make a judgement as to whether to come back or not. $15 for a burger and fries is pretty pricey for that area and there are lots of other options.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users