Photo

91.3 The Zone

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

Just to be clear Phil, I wasn't suggesting anyone was dismantling local radio. You are reading into my post what isn't intended, probably thinking of another thread.

Thanks for that - wondering if I was losing my intellectual capacity. Had no idea what Phil was talking about.

#22 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:53 PM

Caramia, now that you have explained what you weren't saying, now maybe you can explain what you were saying because it seems to me that my deduction was logical (even if it confused Mat!). What was your point in mentioning an advantage of local radio?
In chains by Keynes

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:10 PM

A surprising amount of radio is voicetracked; the DJ banter is taped days before (sometimes in another city) and later spliced between songs.

I appreciate stations with real, responsive local DJs that live and work in the community.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

^That's weird because i've called local rock radio stations countless times and always talked to the DJ that was on the air. Numerous have played back our conversations or requests that I just made as well. I wouldn't expect someone like Alan Cross or Bruce Allen to be live or local though. Perhaps you're talking about the Ocean or CFAX.
In chains by Keynes

#25 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

I'm saying I appreciate local media and media personalities who are grounded in the community.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

They mentioned this on-air and plugged the site? That's pretty cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

^yup. Pretty soon the local radio gods will come looking for you to host your own show Mike. :D

Caramia, as I was saying to Holden, the overwhelming majority of radio i've heard in this town (with the exception of talk radio) is local with local DJ's and announcers so I figured you knew that and were referring to some plans to change that. I originally figured you might have confused the effort to save local television with local radio, but that's obviously not the case.
In chains by Keynes

#28 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

Gotcha! Nope, not confused. Although it does make me want to turn my dial to a local Victoria station. Usually I am on CBC or satellite radio.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

Moving up on the dial

Popular radio personality Sarah P will join Edmonton station

By Mike Devlin, Times Colonist May 26, 2010 7:42 AM Comments (1)

In late March, the Canadian Music and Broadcast Industry Awards named Sara Parker its Young Broadcaster of the Year, an award presented annually to an up-and-comer under the age of 30.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0p3lX4Aqb

#30 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'm not sure I've ever heard "moving up" and "Edmonton" in the same sentence. Will be a shame to see her go :(
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:01 PM

I'm not sure I've ever heard "moving up" and "Edmonton" in the same sentence. Will be a shame to see her go :(

Ya, she was alright. She has a face several notches up from a "face made for radio". Very cute.

#32 JustJoy

JustJoy
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:17 AM

Yes she is moving up, Baro. Although Edmonton is a frosty city in winter, it's major market. And if you're a career driven media personality, it's a step up.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

I don't see why a city nearly three times the size of Victoria wouldn't be a step up, although in terms of climate, it's definitely a sub-zero decline ;)

Tee hee, I'm so funny :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

Since I was raised in a media family I can attest to the fact that, if you are young, single and have no family or financial ties to Victoria, Edmonton is most assuredly a step up, particularly if "Career" is your primary concern.

Victoria is a small market by comparison. Particularly if your goal is to get to TO or Vancouver then you move whenever and wherever the opportunity presents itself. I have no idea who Sarah P is - I don't listen to the Zone - however assuming she has no spouse/kids/mortgage tying her to Victoria, and if I am her, I go without a second thought.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

Any idea how the Zone's hockey play-by-play gig is working out?

I gotta say tuning in to a rock station to hear hockey coverage when you're expecting to hear music is ...weird.

Know it all.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

They are in a ratings period right now, so they should have an idea in a few months, but don't know how detailed information they will release to the general public.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#37 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

91.3 FM --- January 3, 2017

"fun fact: Octopus have three hearts!"

• todd likes this

#38 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,335 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 03:34 PM

Dylan has come back but he says he has not made any big (cancer) recovery in the month off.

https://omny.fm/show...-david-01-08-23

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2024 - 03:34 PM.

#39 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 04:34 AM

Laughter a form of medicine in DJ Dylan Willows’ cancer fight

Victoria radio host Dylan Willows, who is facing a terminal cancer diagnosis, returned to work this week co-hosting the morning show at The Zone.

It is easy to avoid the elephant in the room when talking about things like work, and what one loves about their hometown. Funny went out the door when his mother, who has already lost a son, and wife, whom he married less than one year ago, entered the conversation.

“I wanted to get back to work. It was a benchmark for me,” he said. “But how long I am going to last at work, I don’t know. My diagnosis is grim. I’ll find out [in a few weeks] what the future really looks like for me. If the treatment is working, then I’ll stay at work for as long as I can, as long as it is not affecting my quality of life. If the treatment isn’t going as planned, my wife and I have to sit down and really decide what the remaining time we have together looks like. And I’m not sure that is going to work every day.”

Willows is at an uncertain point in life, only a percentage of which is under his control. His fortitude is being tested, to be sure. But few who have met Willows — known as Big D to some, on account of his barrel chest and booming voice — would ever question his mental or physical strength.

“Obviously, there’s good days and bad days. But I have incredible moments within those bad days, and I have bad moments within those good days. I just try and ground myself, and be as present as possible.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 January 2024 - 04:38 AM.

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 10:57 AM

Today (Thursday, February 15) was Dylan Willows’ last day on The Zone.

After his December 1 announcement that he’d been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 melanoma, Dylan was here as much as he could be through his treatments, because he loves being on the radio, and we love having him.

From here, he’ll be spending time with his family, and our hearts go with him.

Any messages you may have for Dylan can be sent to our Program Director, Mark Addams: mark.addams@pattisonmedia.com

https://www.thezone....24/02/15/dylan/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 February 2024 - 10:57 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users