Photo

Forest Fires

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

Can anyone see the smoke from the Mt. Maxwell fire on Saltspring Island? Wind is currently ENE so it should currently be blowing away from the South Island - but my view of Haro Straight shows allot of haze.

#2 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

Didn't know there was a fire on saltspring. I've been keeping tabs on the tyax lake fire though. Gonna be quite the summer if we don't get some rain soon.

#3 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

Didn't know there was a fire on saltspring. I've been keeping tabs on the tyax lake fire though. Gonna be quite the summer if we don't get some rain soon.

TC is saying people in Langford could see heavy smoke and flames from Mt Maxwell this morning.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:52 PM

C-FAX:

FOREST FIRE ON SALTSPRING

Jun 13, 2009

FIRE CREWS CONTINUE TO BATTLE A FOREST FIRE ON SALTSPRING ISLAND SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

THE BLAZE WAS SPARKED FRIDAY EVENING AND CREWS, INCLUDING HELICOPTERS AND AIR TANKERS, WERE CALLED IN TO RESPOND.

DONNA MACPHERSON WITH THE COASTAL FIRE CENTRE SAYS THEY ARE MAKING HEADWAY.

"THEY'RE MAKING REALLY GOOD PROGRESS ON THE FIRE, THE FIRE IS FAIRLY INACTIVE. WE HAD A LITTLE BIT MORE WIND AND HEAT ON THE FIRE THIS AFTERNOON, BUT IT'S NOT CHALLENGING OUR LINES AT ALL."

SHE ADDS IT IS DIFFICULT TO ESTIMATE THE SIZE OF THE BLAZE.

"IT'S BEEN GUESSED AT ABOUT 2.5 HECTARES IN SIZE ALTHOUGH I THINK THAT'LL CHANGE. IT'S IN VERY STEEP AND ROCKY TERRAIN AND IT'S KIND OF HARD TO GIVE A VISUAL SIZE OF SOMETHING AND WE HAVEN'T MAPPED IT YET."

THERE ARE SEVERAL HOMES WITHIN 1.5 KILOMETRES OF THE FIRE, MACPHERSON SAYS THEY HAVE NOT BEEN THREATENED BY THE BLAZE.

ACCORDING TO MACPHERSON THE FIRE IS PERSON CAUSED, BUT THEY HAVE NO FURTHER DETAILS ON WHAT SPARKED IT.

- LIZ MCARTHUR

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,996 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

WILDFIRE ON SOUTHWEST VANCOUVER ISLAND GROWS
Aug 15, 2010

THE WILDFIRE BURNING NORTH OF JORDAN RIVER HAS GROWN TO 35 HECTARES.

FIRE INFORMATION OFFICER DONNA MACPHERSON SAYS TODAY IS GOING TO BE REALLY HOT AND DRY, SHE'S REMINDING THE PUBLIC TO FOLLOW THE FIRE BAN IN PLACE

"We've also got reports from our weather forecaster that the growth rate from zero to 30 minutes is going to be quite large on fire, so they are going to grow very actively and quickly. If you see anything we're asking that they call in as soon as they see it."

MACPHERSON SAYS THE FIRE WILL LIKELY SHOW MORE ACTIVITY THIS AFTERNOON.

CURRENTLY THEY HAVE 43 FIREFIGHTERS TACKLING THE BLAZE, FIVE HELICOPTERS AND THREE WATER TANKERS.

MACPHERSON SAYS IT WAS DEFINITELY A HUMAN CAUSED FIRE AND IS BEING INVESTIGATED.

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=14799

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 North Shore

North Shore
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

MACPHERSON SAYS IT WAS DEFINITELY A HUMAN CAUSED FIRE AND IS BEING INVESTIGATED.

Grrr, this is frustrating!:mad: How F@*king stupid can people be? Surely people can go out into the bush, do whatever it is that they need to do, and keep an eye on whether they've started a fire?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,996 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Grrr, this is frustrating!:mad: How F@*king stupid can people be? Surely people can go out into the bush, do whatever it is that they need to do, and keep an eye on whether they've started a fire?

Unfortunately too many people don't give a s-h-i-t.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#8 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

A few are intentionally set. Arsonists, hooligans or to make work.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 38,243 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

All its takes is a little piece of broken glass to start a fire. It could have originated from a bottle of beer or orange juice and it may have been laying in the grass for weeks before it happened to be in the right location at the right time of day.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,996 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

Still, wouldn't you say that it is pretty careless to leave garbage like bottles laying around regardless of the fire risk?

Howes the saying go? If you pack it in, pack it out?

#11 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

All its takes is a little piece of broken glass to start a fire. It could have originated from a bottle of beer or orange juice and it may have been laying in the grass for weeks before it happened to be in the right location at the right time of day.

Hmm. I'm a fire researcher and I'm never heard of a piece of discarded glass starting a fire. Even discarded cigarette fires are really rare, needing really extreme conditions to get going (ok, like right now in most of BC). I'm not saying it (glass fire) hasn't happened somewhere, just saying that it's not exactly a well-established cause. Sure, the 'magnifying glass' principle makes sense in theory, but please let me know if you have info or data suggesting that this actually happens.

In my work we've had a few dumb stories. A good one was the guy who burned the packaging from his 6-pack, starting a grass fire in the process. He did try to put it out, managing only to get serious burns on his arms. The hospital heard his story and promptly called the cops, who pressed charges. In the meantime the fire crews were out dealing with the blaze that grew to 7 hectares (not exactly huge, but still...) and threatened the town.

(names withheld for discretion)

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,996 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:59 PM

I saw on a car forum not long ago that something shiny was sitting in the cup holder of a car. The sun came through at just the right angle and it put a pretty severe scorch mark in the headliner.

Needless to say I think something sitting just right can cause a fire.

#13 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

Sure, but 'theoretically can happen' is pretty different from 'does happen, and regularly'. FWIW, ATVs are a pretty common accidental ignition source in Canada, not well known by many folks.

http://fire.feric.ca/other/AD-3-44.pdf
http://fire.feric.ca...02/ATVFinal.pdf

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 38,243 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

Nobody says broken glass is starting fires daily across the province, but glass has started fires before. I've seen objects scorched by glass if positioned just right (like sebberry mentioned), so the possibility of glass starting a fire in the wilderness is real.

Whistler's summer fire restrictions webpage makes a point about glass:
"Glass bottles or broken glass can act like a magnifying glass and start a fire. Recycle your glass bottles and carefully pick up broken glass that you see."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 Bernard

Bernard
  • 3,936 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

The odds of a fire being started by glass is very, very low. It is possible, but I highly doubt it has been the cause of any forest fires.

As to cigarettes, the Barriere fire of 2003, the one that did more costly damage to structures of any fire in Canadian history and still holds the record, was started by a guy dropping a cigarette out behind a diner.

#16 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

I think the shiny concave bottoms of beer or pop cans would be more likely to be a problem, since the curve is quite deep, the focal lenght short, and the aperture fairly wide.

Class in order to focus light has to have a different curvature on each side. Broken bottles are unlikely to have that, and if you want to focus infrared light to start a fire you should clean the labels off and fill the bottle with nice clear water.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 12,864 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

Fire chief says:

"With that radient heat you can actually have a fire started by broken glass from a discarded bottle out of a vehicle," Newcomb said. "We've actually responded to calls because of that happening."

http://www.wpsdlocal...-100315319.html

Capt. Jerry Tomljenovic of the Saanich Fire Department:

A glass bottle can also spark a fire after magnifying the hot sun, he said.

http://www2.canada.c...0a-af1aef9830bb

There are countless such warnings from fire departments everywhere.

Simple demonstration using a familiar glass bottle:

Glass bottle on window ledge:

Glass objects burn houses down:
http://www.dailymail...auses-fire.html
http://www.digitaljo.../article/285277

#18 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

There are countless such warnings from fire departments everywhere.

Warnings aren't evidence.

Neither of the chiefs cited any actual examples, and none of the links point to forest fires started by glass fragments. A vase full of water sitting on a shelf might be able to focus enough sunlight to bring a piece of paper to flash point, but broken glass is normally not of lenticular shape.

Now people do lose lenses in the woods from time to time, for instance in binoculars. Drop your binos down a cliff and the shattered bits of objective or occular lenses might conceivably be capable of such.

But I hasten to add that, even so, one should never leave broken glass in the woods at any time.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 38,243 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

Warnings aren't evidence.

Aastra's first link is evidence enough.

Know it all.

#20 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

Aastra's first link is evidence enough.

There is no evidence there, only a claim about broken glass causing fires, supported by no facts.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users