• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:59 PM

Also did anyone go to the Nov. 16 CotW?

It was jam packed! I have bolded the biggies.

DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
3. 812 Wharf Street – Development Permit 000061 (with Variance)

4. 732 Broughton Street – Development Permit 000062

5. 385 Waterfront Crescent – Development Permit 000063

6. Rezoning # 00100 for 923 Burdett Avenue

7. Rezoning Application # 00107 for 356 Gorge Road East

8. Rezoning Application # 000104 for 649 – 675 Superior Street

9. Removal of McPherson Playhouse Restaurant Annex (Antoine’s)

10. Harbour Plan Implementation, SC # 5 – 94(1) -++-
Canadian Coast Guard Site

11. Green Buildings Update

12. Planning Priorities from the Advisory Planning Commission

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#42 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:53 PM

The 812 Wharf St. variance (Milestone's) is discussed [url=http://www.vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613:0e755]here[/url:0e755].

732 Broughton is the parking lot across from the library between the Japanese Village/Lindholm building and the Sussex building. It passed and will go on to public hearing, and they may be allowed to reconsider the width of the entrance to the parking garage (make it narrower allowing for more retail even though this would make the building over the density limit).

The former Antoine's restaurant will be demolished. There was talk of retaining one of the "pods" and recreating the architect's original idea but that was rejected. It will be an attempt at improving safety and opening up the vista up Broad St. but Geoff Young pointed out a public square "needs a frame" to keep it from being too open.

The other ones I don't know about.

#43 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:01 PM

The news about Antoines is great. Now if they would only use Aastra's plan for the blank wall of the McPherson.

So you have no idea what is going on with the Telus lot post located above the council meeting one?

It has a whole new look!

#44 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:19 PM

[url=http://www.vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=532:a1c49]Bet you thought I'd forget[/url:a1c49]:

Committee of the Whole
November 02, 2006 4
5.3 649 – 675 Superior Street (Shamrock Motel and Robert Porter House) – Request
for Waiver of “Clean Hands” Policy
Committee received a report dated October 24, 2006 from the Development Services
Division regarding the request of the applicant, Shamrock Suites Ltd. and Porter House Ltd,
for the City of Victoria to waive its “Clean Hands” Policy (the Policy) for the property located
at 649 – 675 Superior Street in order to proceed with a rezoning application. The Policy
requires the applicant to vacate the illegal use of the buildings and make a binding
commitment to discontinue the uses and remove any illegal construction if the rezoning
application fails.
The legal use of the Shamrock Motel is for 16 residential suites under the
existing R3-2 Zone, Multiple Family Dwelling District. Its current use is for 16 transient
(motel) units. The legal use of the Robert Porter House is a single family dwelling within
which up to two bedrooms may be used for bed and breakfast accommodation. Its existing
zoning is R-2 Zone, Two Family Dwelling District. The Robert Porter House is on the City’s
Heritage Registry.

...and just for the record, I disagree with the policy of having every city council meeting and commitee of the whole meeting stuffed into one thread. there were fifteen replies to the one thread I posted that was date specific... I think that shows that being more specific generates more debate. Can we try splitting it up a bit, or is this a losing battle?

#45 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:02 AM

Hmm... Well I do see these topics getting more use than was originally thought. What about one thread for Council Meetings, one for Committee of the Whole and one for Other Committees of the city?

Having a thread for each individual meeting seems like an incredibly messy and wasteful approach

It has a whole new look!

#46 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:11 AM

I see it as a well organized way for searching, in the future, for the debates around certain issues. It's not like new threads cost money....

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:40 AM

No they don't cost money but having a thread with one or two responses each will be a waste. I will bring up this topic with the mods though and see what they all think.

It has a whole new look!

#48 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:46 AM

There are a couple of interesting agenda items at tonight's Council meeting at 7:30 at City Hall.

The controversial Shell station remake at Yates and Fort is before Council yet again. This one's really been through the wringer.

And the Jawl Telus lot subdivision is asking for a setback. No word yet apparently on what they're intending to build there.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#49 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:49 AM

What does it mean, "asking for a setback"? Less setback than mandated, or more, or just different?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

^Sorry, I meant a setback variance, meaning whatever this new structure is, it doesn't have to be 4.5 metres away from the big Telus building on Yates, it can be right up next to it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:37 AM

If you read the convoluted peice from city hall that I posted a couple of days ago it is a setback variance. Going 4.5 to Nil. That is the kind of thing I like to see! I believe this is a public hearing as well so people can speak on it. Also we might see some concept drawings of what is in store for that. I might go but I might be tied up.

It has a whole new look!

#52 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:05 PM

^ and ^^ -- thanks!

So, is this a building-to-building or a building-to-sidewalk setback? It looks like bldg-to-bldg, i.e., snuggle right up to the existing Telus Building? Any idea what the sidewalk setback is proposed for? Same as Telus Bldg? (Sorry I'm being so stupid about this -- I should probably just walk over there and make sure I have the right structures/ lots in mind...)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#53 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

It's just building-to-building AFAIK.

Btw, the Executive House Hotel liquor store application is on the agenda, too.

#54 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

Where in the building will this liquor store be housed?

#55 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:12 PM

If anyone is at tonight's meetings, I'll be the one commencing my campaign to get the bottle depot out of my backyard. :)

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:29 PM

Somebody please get the details of the Telus lot project.

#57 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:39 PM

If anyone is at tonight's meetings, I'll be the one commencing my campaign to get the bottle depot out of my backyard. :)

That would a great spot for a 12 storey residential.

Or perhaps we could make it a double depot for bottles and buses.

It has a whole new look!

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

Oh, so you're against it! When we had our convo a while back you had mentioned it and I thought you were looking at buying a license for a bottle depot.

Man, was I off the deep end or what... 8)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:22 PM

Somebody please get the details of the Telus lot project.

Looks like the Jawls are putting something together but who knows what it is. Mohan was there, but alone, and he was there to do business, not chat. No details, and no debate from councillors.

#60 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:23 PM

Or perhaps we could make it a double depot for bottles and buses.

Don't even say stuff like that aloud....

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users