[Colwood] Ocean Grove (formerly Aquattro) | Phase 1 built

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

#1 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:26 PM

Lagoon Estates, Colwood.

There are over 600 units in total. This was approved by Colwood council earlier this year.

These are some of the earlier plans of this proposal.

#2 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:27 PM

They got the zoning changes...they seem to be open to adding a few more floors to the back towers....

a few residents screamed and yelled.....cant wait for the DP....ugg.

they didnt love the tower design....doesnt suit the site....not sure how a 13 storey building suits an open site, but i'll have to do something...maybe add a colour.

a couple of the images that the public saw....

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:13 PM

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this.

#4 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:34 PM

I truly like these step back units on four levels. Every units has a good size "front lawn/patio" yet they are all open to the sky.

Some how I do not see this being in the final plans.

Doc Sage

#5 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:11 PM

What's the story on the new height increases??? It was to go through council this week no??? OR is it next week?

#6 trueviking

trueviking
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:00 PM

recieved the development permit in a unanimous vote yesterday....full steam ahead.

towers 170', 160' and 140'.

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:03 PM

What's the treatment going to be like on the back side of those towers? Will there be windows back there?

#8 trueviking

trueviking
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:06 PM

yeah, i would say the back is about 40-50% glazed.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:29 PM

Nice, thanks for the updates TV!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:33 PM

tv: do the developers still think that there will be significant demand for the units at Lagoon Estates? I'm wondering if there is finally a softening of the condo market, and this project is adding over 600 more to the total.

thanks for the update, and please provide us with any updates on other Victoria projects that you might be aware of.

#11 trueviking

trueviking
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

i dont think they would have paid the absorbanent price that they did for the land, if they thought the market was softening....time will tell, i guess...the sales building goes up in a few weeks.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:26 AM

The project has been renamed "Aquattro" from Lagoon Estates.

Development gives a nod to nature
Esquimalt Lagoon project in Colwood as notable for what will be preserved as what will be built

BY BILL CLEVERLEY Times Colonist staff

The Aquattro, Colwood’s newest waterfront development — a mix of 26 buildings including three 12-storey highrises, townhouses, terraced buildings and low-rise condominiums — is as notable for what is being preserved as what is to be built.

Fully 40 per cent of the 50-acre property bordering Esquimalt Lagoon, including fields and old orchards that are home to all manner of birds and other wildlife, will remain forever as green space, donated to the municipality as park.

“I’ve always tried to leave something better than I found it, but I couldn’t do that with this portion of the site,” developer Peter Daniel, of Woodburn Management, said at an on-site news conference yesterday marking Colwood council’s final approval of the project.

“This is as good as it’s going to get, and that’s why we’re saving it.”

Already staked out is the future sales centre — a building that will eventually be given to the Land Conservancy for use as a nature interpretative centre.

All of the development of the site will be to the back of the property, away from the water. In addition to 13 acres of the lower waterfront being provided as parkland, Daniel plans to enhance Selleck Creek, eventually stocking it with coho salmon and building about two kilometres of hiking trails.

Formerly known as Lagoon Estates, the project to be built out over the next five to seven years, has been renamed the Aquattro because of its unique orientation to the water, Daniel said.

“It symbolizes aqua — water — and quatro — four — because there are four different water foreshores in this project. The first is at the top of the property where we’re creating several large ponds to complement the stream that’s on the property — so that’s one foreshore. The stream will be about a kilometre in length and it will transit from the top of the site down to an estuary to the lagoon ... so that’s the second foreshore.

“The third is the Esquimalt Lagoon itself, which is a bird sanctuary, and finally, there’s a mile and a half or oceanfront beach in front of this property,” Daniel said.

The design calls for the lowest, woodframe buildings to be built nearest the park reserve, transitioning to the taller ones at the back of the property.

When built out, Aquattro will feature 563 residential units.

“By transferring the density from the bottom of this property to the top and keeping all the development away from the most valuable part of this property, we’re able to keep this as a park and enhance the stream, which is going to give us a truly unique and remarkable development,” Daniel said.

Transferring the density also allowed for the massive park dedication. Under the previous zoning only five-per-cent park dedication was required, city administrator Chris Pease said.

While many new condominium developments in downtown Victoria are featuring units in the range of 900 to 1,200 square feet, the Aquattro primarily will feature units that range in size from 1,600 square feet and up.

Prices will be in the range of $400 to $500 per square foot.

Virtually all of the units will feature sweeping views of the ocean, the Olympic Mountains and Victoria.

Plans also call for an activity centre and a clubhouse building for activities such as cooking classes, wine tastings and art exhibits.

Construction of the sales centre is slated for next week and the first residences in June.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:55 AM

ewww, what a terrible "garden city" style development. "activity centers", sprawling grounds and sprawling disconected buildings with no pedestrian fabric. I guess it's better than some housing sprawl, but this is NOT the sort of development I support in any way. Maybe if you took all these buildings, put them together in urban styel blocks, included shopping and good transit.. then maybe it would be ok. I really don't know much about it, but from the pics it looks like a classic car-centered sprawling suburban condo development made in the classic "garden city" style. Jane Jacobs is NOT pleased!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

2.2 car spaces per unit, or something to that effect.

Know it all.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:19 AM

Seems like the TC is in love with suburban development. They can't help but gush.

#16 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:24 PM

All these names suggestive of the Mediterranean (and name changes, too) -- Aquatto, Rialto, Aria, Adria, Astoria, etc.: what's up with that? Marketing fashions or ...climate change? Goodbye English drizzle & rain(forest), hello Capris & sunglasses? :smt017
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:30 PM

It's a Mediterranean climate, right?

I'm still waiting for hybrid names. "Quattro Court" or "Vicino Arms."

They inspire visions of a fleet of Ferraris parked on the grounds of some ancient castle, don't they?

#18 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

Not strictly speaking, not for oenophiles anyway. The five (killer winemaking) Mediterranean regions, globally, are: the Mediterranean (d'oh), California, Chile, S.Africa, Australia. Victoria is not, alas, on that map of divine wine producing "mediterranean" zones. But who knows? Maybe those builders and their lush naming practices have been looking deeply into their cups and know something the rest of us don't...! :lol:

Ah, you edited while I was posting! Ferraris, eh? Ok, they'll drive off in Ferraris and leave us standing in the rain after all? Oh no, it's back to the bar for me!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#19 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:02 PM

I wouldn't quite call our climate "mediterranean", but we do have the fastest growing wine region in Canada, not to mention many Island wines have earned awards this past year. Not sure IIRC but I think we recieved more than okanagan wines this year (the un-desputed champs of wine growing in Canada).

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:17 AM

Some websites do indeed refer to Victoria's "mediterranean" climate, but it looks like the more popular term is actually "sub-mediterranean."

Example:

Victoria is known for its "mediterranean" climate. Terms like "mediterranean", "sub-mediterranean", and "modified mediterranean" are sometimes used to describe the Olympic rainshadow region even though it is quite different from the standard "mediterranean" climate. The terms are mainly used to indicate a climate with wet winters and dry summers with regular drought conditions.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users