• 130 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

Yeah that license thing was to shutdown jet ski rentals

#2382 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:54 PM

If you rent a boat you still need a license AFAIK. Exception being for less than 10HP.

Q. What if I rent a powerboat or PWC?

A. Currently, a Pleasure Craft Operator Card is not required in order to operate a rented watercraft. Instead, it is sufficient for a renter to complete a rental safety checklist. Take note however that some companies have made it their corporate policy to require renters to have their Pleasure Craft Operator Card.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2383 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

Rules of Butchart Garden.

Dont do this ..dont wear that...dont spread the incinerated remains of your loved one on our lawn

Blah Blah Blah

#2384 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

/\ ....there is a "wedding season?" Who knew? I got married in December: guess that solidifies me squarely as an "out of season" kind of guy.

Wedding "season" - translation: we're not very busy nor making much $ at that time of year so for those 10 weeks (only) we'll look the other way, suck it up and take your money. Purely out of curiosity I wonder how much Butchart's charges for the privilege of getting hitched on their property?

#2385 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:49 PM

/\ ....there is a "wedding season?" Who knew? I got married in December: guess that solidifies me squarely as an "out of season" kind of guy.

Wedding "season" - translation: we're not very busy nor making much $ at that time of year so for those 10 weeks (only) we'll look the other way, suck it up and take your money. Purely out of curiosity I wonder how much Butchart's charges for the privilege of getting hitched on their property?

—Groups of 10 or fewer (including the Wedding Couple) $675 plus tax (food and beverage additional)
—Groups up to 16 or fewer (including the Wedding Couple) $950 plus tax (food and beverage additional)

http://www.butchartg...tions/weddings/

Spring Prelude Ceremony & Reception 
  • Exclusive use of Spring Prelude indoor garden from 3:30 pm onwards.
  • Stand-up ceremony and reception in the Spring Prelude indoor garden.
  • Indoor and outdoor non-commercial photo rights.
  • Staging area for wedding party.
  • 1 hour rehearsal time for wedding party (booked in advance of wedding day).
  • Parking for all guests.
  • A 12 Month Pass for each of the bride and groom (non-transferable).

—$1,525 plus tax (food and beverage additional)

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2386 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

Any facility that bans the use of selfie sticks is OK in my books. 

• AllseeingEye and sebberry like this

#2387 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:25 PM

http://www.butchartg...tions/weddings/

Spring Prelude Ceremony & Reception 
  • Exclusive use of Spring Prelude indoor garden from 3:30 pm onwards.
  • Stand-up ceremony and reception in the Spring Prelude indoor garden.
  • Indoor and outdoor non-commercial photo rights.
  • Staging area for wedding party.
  • 1 hour rehearsal time for wedding party (booked in advance of wedding day).
  • Parking for all guests.
  • A 12 Month Pass for each of the bride and groom (non-transferable).

—$1,525 plus tax (food and beverage additional)

Thanks - not bad actually, and cheap compared to what I had to pay for mine, lol.

#2388 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:35 PM

Thanks - not bad actually, and cheap compared to what I had to pay for mine, lol.

You had to pay for yours? You are definitely not a traditionalist are you? 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2389 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

You had to pay for yours? You are definitely not a traditionalist are you? 

Not at all, lol. Considering I was making 6-figures and my parents were well retired by then, it seemed logical I should be the one to pay. Could've asked my wife/fiancee but suspect that wouldn't have gone over too well. Actually we both paid for it. We went higher end (our choice) so I was happy to foot most of the bill. December was a great time to get married, highly recommend it!

That said I don't think I've ever known anyone to get married at Butchart's; guessing in part because most people don't get married January-March.....

#2390 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:43 PM

I don't know who paid for my wedding, but I know I didn't. I was just told where to show up. :)

• AllseeingEye likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2391 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:49 PM

Yeah kinda like that for me too; I was so, um, "under the weather" from too much boys' frivolity the night before the big day I completely forgot about taking my mother in law to a hair appointment. She wasn't impressed, nor was the soon-to-be-Mrs.

Anyway we got married in this lovely Rockland B&B manor and property - which I can assure you cost a little more than $1500, heh:

http://www.booking.c..._photo-39121541

#2392 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:33 PM

I don't know who paid for my wedding, but I know I didn't. I was just told where to show up. :)

Was there a shotgun involved?

#2393 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

http://www.theglobea...rticle32050949/  <  G&M article on Victoria.

• Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2394 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

I haven't checked the reviews at TripAdvisor in a while. Suffice it to say, the Empress Hotel is getting scorched lately re: tea service and the restaurants. Are people just complaining because of the changes or are the complaints legitimate?

Meanwhile, the Oak Bay Beach Hotel is getting some outstandingly high praise.

Edit looking back in 2018: the Empress Hotel's renovations seem to be a hit now. Controversy over.

Edited by aastra, 09 November 2018 - 04:51 PM.

#2395 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:04 PM

People seem to love the ocean view pools at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel.

#2396 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:55 PM

The pass provides a single discounted admission to several wonderful locations around Victoria as well as entrance to participating “open by donation” sites. It is valid for one year from the month of purchase and is transferable so – pass it around!

Participating Admission Venues:
Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, CFB Esquimalt Naval and Military Museum, Craigdarroch Castle, Emily Carr House, Point Ellice House and the Robert Bateman Center

Participating By Donation Venues:
Abkhazi Garden, Maritime Museum of BC, St. Ann’s Academy and Wentworth Villa

http://www.passitaro...about-the-pass/

$30.  That's not bad.

#2397 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:04 PM

http://www.passitaro...about-the-pass/

$30.  That's not bad.

Great idea for an AirBnB host as a differentiator.

• VicHockeyFan and SusanJones like this

#2398 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:52 AM

I don't know about the tea or restaurant service at the Empress now, but when we walked through a couple of months ago, the new furnishings are certainly tacky looking. We always used to have a nice lunch at the Bengal Room at this time of year, which we will sorely miss now.

• GabriolaGirl likes this

#2399 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hotel-room-inventory-shrinking-in-Victoria.jpg

Hundreds of City of Victoria hotel rooms have been lost as owners redevelop properties or convert units into full-time rental apartments. And the trend is expected to continue.

Victoria’s shrinking hotel room inventory gives rise to AirBnB vacation rentals
http://victoria.citi...cation-rentals/

The City of Victoria’s hotel room inventory has been quietly disappearing as hoteliers transform their holdings into rental apartments or redevelop properties into mixed-use condo and commercial projects.

The phenomenon began over a decade ago with the closure of several motels in the city centre, most notably the Holiday Court Motel on Hillside Avenue, now a six-storey office building, and the Crystal Court Motel on Belleville Street, soon to become a 15-storey seniors complex. And following the collapse of the Traveller’s Inn motel chain, several properties along Douglas Street and Gorge Road were subsequently converted into full-time residences totalling a transient lodging loss of several hundred units.

According to data compiled by Citified, since 2010 and in addition to lost inventory throughout the previous decade, approximately 450 hotel and motel rooms in the City of Victoria (roughly 10% of the 4,000-rooms in existence at the start of the decade) were lost. This includes 124-rooms at the Queen Victoria Inn on Douglas Street, 99 at the Dominion Hotel on Yates Street, 65 at the Victoria Plaza Hotel on Pandora Avenue, 51 at the Super 8 Hotel on Douglas Street and most recently, some 50-units at the Tally-Ho Hotel on upper Douglas Street.

And the trend appears far from over. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2400 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

The CoV's municipal hotel room tax rate will go up from 2% to 3% effective Jan 1.  Of course there is also the 8% general hotel room tax rate and the 5% GST, so the total tax hit is now 16%.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users