• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#2421 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

Victoria's Butchart Gardens bans the selfie stick

The decision to ban the selfie stick, Cowen said, was partly based on expectations of a busy year due to Canada's 150th birthday in 2017.

"Our garden paths are narrow and twisty, and in crowded conditions, the use of a selfie stick can pose quite a hazard," he said. "We certainly have heard from our visitors that they find them to be distracting and interruptive when they are trying to enjoy a beautiful garden or a tranquil moment looking over one of the vistas."

Hmmmmmmmm.....

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2422 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

I'm perfectly ok with it; when we did our annual family Christmas trek out there in December people were literally running into the damn things (it was dark and you often couldn't see them) or worse getting poked and jabbed by inattentive selfie stick owners, in addition to the fact the paths are narrow and all too often some noodge with a selfie stick - or worse, a group of them - would stop, sometimes quite unexpectedly, to do the selfie nonsense and completely block the path in the process utterly oblivious to the fact. 

#2423 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

^ You should have photo-bombed with your best gargoyle face!

• AllseeingEye likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2424 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

It seems anti-Asian to me.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2425 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

^ You should have photo-bombed with your best gargoyle face!

I actually am not opposed to them in principle, people IMO just need to show some awareness, consideration and courtesy for others. At Butchart's there are plenty of places one can take a selfie without blocking a pathway or smacking someone on the side of the head.....

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2426 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

I actually am not opposed to them in principle, people IMO just need to show some awareness, consideration and courtesy for others. At Butchart's there are plenty of places one can take a selfie without blocking a pathway or smacking someone on the side of the head.....

Right, so selfie-sticks do not bother people, people bother people.  Easy to just rule out the equipment.  It's really only been done before at places with rides etc.

Hey Butchart, expecting big crowds for 2017?  Make the paths a little larger here and there, or create some bulbs/landings.

#2427 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:17 PM

...Hey Butchart, expecting big crowds for 2017?  Make the paths a little larger here and there, or create some bulbs/landings.

Or ban selfie sticks. It seems to me the human race existed quite well without them - and even took decent photos - until about 5 years ago.

#2428 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

Or ban selfie sticks. It seems to me the human race existed quite well without them - and even took decent photos - until about 5 years ago.

Hey we did well without cellphones or digital cameras or before we wore watches too.  Why not evolve with the times rather than ban a wildly popular tourist device?   Why are you moving to reduce the number of photos of your attraction/venue, spread around the world?

#2429 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

Something tells me the Gardens will survive quite fine without selfie sticks.

• lanforod and Midnightly like this

#2430 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:28 PM

Last year they banned all types of smoking including those e-cigs. Banned anywhere on their property including parking lots. They enforce it too.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#2431 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

Something tells me the Gardens will survive quite fine without selfie sticks.

And if they banned every Asian guest they would also probably be fine too.  That's not a reason to do it though.

#2432 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:33 PM

And if they banned every Asian guest they would also probably be fine too.  That's not a reason to do it though.

If that argument were twice as strong it would still be a very poor and weak example of a straw man...

• Jill likes this

#2433 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

Last year they banned all types of smoking including those e-cigs. Banned anywhere on their property including parking lots. They enforce it too.

That's a negative to most (the vast majority of people are non-smokers).  Picture-taking should be seen as a positive for tourist attraction.

#2434 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:41 PM

And good on them for that (enforcement) too; its their property for starters so they can do as they see fit. And its certainly not incumbent on them to accommodate someone else's addictive habit. Judging by the impressive crowds we experienced twice in the summer of 2016 and again at Christmas, I would say an "anti" stance re: any form of smoking certainly hasn't harmed their business one iota.

#2435 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Like it or lump it they are not going to lose customers over it

#2436 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

If that argument were twice as strong it would still be a very poor and weak example of a straw man...

Ugh, now I have to read up on "straw man/men" to understand what I've even done here.

EDIT:  Allegedly, straw man tactics were once known in some parts of the United Kingdom as an Aunt Sally, after a pub game of the same name where patrons threw sticks or battens at a post to knock off a skittle balanced on top

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Straw_man

Maybe this is worth it... the learnin' and all.

#2437 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

There is a very long section of West Coast rd where logging is and will take place on the ocean side of the highway right down to the Juan de Fuca marine trail.

This will open up fantastic Ocean Views for persons traveling from Jordan river to Port Renfrew.

These are all private lands and all is 2nd and or 3rd growth timber.

the person who owns the land wanted to build resorts but there was a lot of opposition to his plan so he decided to make money from the timer.

This will be a benefit to travelers on that road.

Here is a time lapse of a section 1 day ago.

http://youtu.be/6Ob-C0hG74g

#2438 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

^ that looks a lot like the one rat/mouse that has been trying to break into the Janion.

#2439 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

are you drunk right now

#2440 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:27 AM

Selfie sticks had already been prohibited during Butchart Gardens’ fireworks displays. Tripods and similar equipment are still allowed.

“We have been watching the evolution of the use of selfie sticks by our visitors for a couple of years, and watching the comments that we got from our visitors,” Cowen said.

Many people registered concerns in guest books and in phone calls, he said.

“Really it was our visitors, our customers who asked us to consider this.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.zRhG2hTB.dpuf

That's a bit of, hey, it's not us... type of excuse.   Asians use selfie sticks, customers complain about large groups of Asians, Butchart bans them.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users