Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#2581 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

If it’s not a 20-storey above ground parkade in Toronto, it’s nothing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2582 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

Here is a question.

If a person wanted to do some low budget fishing, say off Ogden Point breakwater in the summer is there any business to cater to that? Rent them gear, sell bait and set them up with licences?

A one day licence is only 5 to 7 dollars and free for those 16 and under.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 October 2017 - 09:50 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2583 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

Here is a question.

If a person wanted to do some low budget fishing, say off Ogden Point breakwater in the summer is there any business to cater to that? Rent them gear, sell bait and set them up with licences?

A one day licence is only 5 to 7 dollars and free for those 16 and under.

Offhand I am unaware of anywhere where you can rent fishing gear; as for the licenses typically you purchase them online from DFO or buy them from a retailer such as Island Outfitters.

Renting gear is rare here - if the option even exists at all - and certainly there's nowhere that would advertise such a service - there's just no market among locals like me who will buy inasmuch as "what" gear is a personal choice depending on the type of fishing you engage in (i.e. salt vs fresh water, trolling vs spin cast vs fly fishing), where, and at what time of year. Back in the day Pacific Angler in Vancouver used to rent out a limited selection but again that is a rarity these days. 

Off Ogden Point fishermen typically spin cast using a spoon or lure or bait. 

#2584 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

I guess if a tourist catches a fish, now they have a dilemma dealing with it.  Maybe charter boats are just better.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2585 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

I guess if a tourist catches a fish, now they have a dilemma dealing with it.  Maybe charter boats are just better.

Certainly a much more prevalent option - you can get charters out of the harbour, Oak Bay, Sooke etc, but its also not cheap. OTOH if you are coming to BC to fish you would/should expect it will 'cost'. Typically - and it varies widely depending on location and the type of fishing you are doing - you can expect as a group to drop anywhere from $4-800/day "depending". That obviously pays for the boat owners time, fuel, bait (if you're using it), and usually there are the basics such as coffee/water/maybe sandwiches etc, again depending on the charter....

Fishing like any sport-hobby is what you make of it in terms of $ invested; I have 6 different rods and rod tubes, 8-10 reels, full waders, boots and virtually my own store in terms of accessories and lures :) . All told, all in when purchased new, well over $6500 worth of "stuff"...

#2586 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

I was just thinking of a family thing, less money.

Could we use a "fishing pier" around town?

IMG_1009.jpg

dbb0632f8641b4d8ffbdc2d0a6a9007c--the-ro

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 October 2017 - 06:06 PM.

• Cityguy likes this

#2587 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

..Could we use a "fishing pier" around town?

I'm not sure if we need a fishing pier, but I bet the VicPD could use Jim Rockford!

#2588 Cityguy

Cityguy
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

A fishing pier would be great.....in fact, a much larger "walking pier" somewhere along the waterfront would be even better....I think of the piers dotted around the coast of the UK...:-)

• VicHockeyFan and sebberry like this

#2589 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

I guess I am not the only one who noticed the tepid holiday festivities in the CoV this year

...No fireworks, no outdoor market, no outdoor stage (as the stage in Centennial Square has been expropriated by homeless folks) no Ferris wheel in the square....The charm of Victoria over Christmas keeps us coming back — well, maybe the above-zero temperatures help — but when the charm is replaced by the impressions of homeless beggars and the discontent of the locals over bike lanes and downtown parking issues that was voiced repeatedly by shopkeepers, we are second-guessing our destination.

Linda Lovett and Edward Fox

Winnipeg

http://www.timescolo...oria-1.23137466

• jonny, Midnightly and pennymurphy2000 like this

#2590 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

I noticed yesterday about 20 people were loitering on the centennial stage and five cops were standing at the whale statues observing them.

The atmosphere was negative and unwelcoming.

But see, here’s the thing. Most of us locals and politicians eventually become blind to the state of the city. We hold up terrible architecture as Victoriana that must be preserved, we forget just how many people are loitering on sidewalks bothering passersby for money, the drone of sirens, etc. But tourists are wide-eyed when they see this stuff and that’s their take away. It’s a crying shame this Christmas Season was so lacking in what were annual festivities and regardless of who we blame the fact is the ball was dropped and it had an effect.
  • Nparker, sebberry, jonny and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2591 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

Ya, I had remarked to a few that NYE events were extremely scarce.

• jonny likes this

#2592 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

I was just thinking of a family thing, less money.

Could we use a "fishing pier" around town?

IMG_1009.jpg

dbb0632f8641b4d8ffbdc2d0a6a9007c--the-ro

Sidney has one

#2593 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

I noticed yesterday about 20 people were loitering on the centennial stage and five cops were standing at the whale statues observing them.

The atmosphere was negative and unwelcoming.

But see, here’s the thing. Most of us locals and politicians eventually become blind to the state of the city. We hold up terrible architecture as Victoriana that must be preserved, we forget just how many people are loitering on sidewalks bothering passersby for money, the drone of sirens, etc. But tourists are wide-eyed when they see this stuff and that’s their take away. It’s a crying shame this Christmas Season was so lacking in what were annual festivities and regardless of who we blame the fact is the ball was dropped and it had an effect.

you pretty much described every major city in north america for 12 months of the year

#2594 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

^yeah... have to agree. Our homeless issue is not uniquely Victorian. Maybe some of the pussy footing we do around it is, but the drug and homelessness' is a North American problem no matter where you go.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 06 January 2018 - 01:49 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2595 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

The new Key Chain Museum might be a welcome new draw.

#2596 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

^yeah... have to agree. Our homeless issue is not uniquely Victorian. Maybe some of the pussy footing we do around it is, but the drug and homelessness' is a North American problem no matter where you go.

Ok, so you’re saying groups of people loitering around city halls, openly using drugs and drinking alcohol, yelling, spreading their goods about is not unusual and in fact a North American norm?
  • Love the rock likes this

Know it all.

#2597 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

^for me and I am not at City Hall everyday,  I might see someone smoking weed, but its not like I see people shooting heroin or doing lines of coke, etc in the middle of the square or near City Hall.  Drinking alcohol and yelling is pretty normal for North America I think.  Spreading their goods about, again pretty normal for North America today

Maybe I am outdated, but what happened to the good old vagrancy laws where if some homeless bum looked at someone the wrong way they were picked up and arrested.  Yes its a rhetorical question, I know that vagrancy laws were struck down

#2598 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

Dealing drugs, smoking weed and drinking is not what most jurisdictions on this continent would consider acceptable behaviour adjacent to their City Hall and steps from their mayor's office.

But then maybe it is I who is old-fashioned if that's par for the course in every city and Victoria is just trying to keep up.

Know it all.

#2599 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

Speaking of dealing drugs, I've witnessed that several times in the square in recent months. You get to know certain characters when you live down here and they frequent Centennial like you or I would frequent a convenience store.

Have we already forgotten about the serious assault that sent a man to hospital after he pulled a knife on a group of people and they clobbered him with skateboards? It happened last summer, just steps from the mayor's office. But that's all good, right? Because that sort of things happens steps from every mayor's office.

Know it all.

#2600 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

Dealing drugs, smoking weed and drinking is not what most jurisdictions on this continent would consider acceptable behaviour adjacent to their City Hall and steps from their mayor's office.

But then maybe it is I who is old-fashioned if that's par for the course in every city and Victoria is just trying to keep up.

Or maybe it's more a reflection on who the mayor of Victoria is.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users