Yup...

#42 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:31 PM

Tourism improved

Nov 03 2006

If you believe the complaints from local business leaders, the 2006 tourists season was one of the worst in recent memory.

But according to the August 2006 Victoria Tourism Bulletin, all the doom and gloom isn't supported by the numbers.

"It's just the facts. People like to be all doom and gloom but this is the truth," said business consultant Frank Bouree, who prepares the monthly tourism report.

Average hotel room occupancy in August increased slightly, from 83.2 per cent to 83.9 per cent, while year to date - from Jan. 1 to the end of August - increased to 70.32 per cent from 69.51 per cent.

BC Ferries vehicle traffic increased by 0.71 per cent in August 2006 over August 2005, while passenger traffic was up half a percentage point. In the first eight months of 2006, vehicle traffic aboard BC ferries dropped by 0.35 per cent while passenger traffic dropped 1.21 per cent.

The biggest decrease came in bus traffic, down 6.24 per cent this August over last and 8.54 per cent for the year- to-date category.

However, traffic at Victoria International Airport jumped by 11.26 per cent in August 2006 compared to August 2005 and 5.81 per cent for the year to date.

The tourism operators who struggled most in the 2006 season were those who depend largely on the U.S. market, which was down "six to eight per cent" from the 2005 numbers

"Anyone who has catered exclusively to the U.S. market is struggling," Bouree said, adding that strong economies in Alberta B.C. and Canada in general boosted the umber of domestic visitors to Victoria.

"it's not real exciting, but it's not real negative either."

mailto:bclarke@vicnews.com

© Copyright 2006 Victoria News
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#43 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:15 AM

I was looking at http://www.CNN.com and noticed they had a link to an article about Victoria on the main page.

http://www.cnn.com/2... ... index.html

#44 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

Any article on CNN's home page is gold and at least the author of this one made a point of exploring the city beyond the inner harbour ... his reference to Wharf St. and Chinatown were refreshing ... and no mention of tacky lower Government St. at all.

Unfortunately he was a day tripper which only reinforces our image as a destination to "pop over" and check out. On the bright side, at least he makes the trip every year and if we can hook the average day tripper on their first visit hopefully they'll return for a longer stay.

#45 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

Did everyone catch the tourism-related articles in the T-C on 12/6 and 12/7, first with [url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/business/story.html?id=c69aa4e3-b2e4-455c-a6c3-c3bb2f8505a3&k=63136&p=1:656b3]Gay, lesbian tourist market hot; Tourism operators are advised to look beyond chasing bucks and get involved in community[/url:656b3] on the 6th, followed by [url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/business/story.html?id=4901f8fc-26e3-4d68-ba74-168f12f2cbe4:656b3]Tourism Victoria message evolves into edgier brand; It's a bid to improve on a year with lower American visitation[/url:656b3] yesterday?

I know it's hype and branding, but it sure beats the boring old "come to Victoria to have afternoon tea and visit the gardens, followed by a hot toddy at 9pm and bedtime" campaign of yore.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:25 PM

Too bad about this slogan:

"We may be quaint, but never quiet"

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#47 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

How about this critique of Abigail's (on Quadra) from a review at TripAdvisor.com?

The location is neither scenic or convenient to the harbor area and nightlife.

#48 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

Isn't Abigails about 3 blocks from the harbour and I can think of quite a bit of nightlife within blocks of there too So were they expecting a view of the harbour? Abigails is an amazing place for those who have never been in go and check it out the owners are friendly!

It has a whole new look!

#49 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

Since the Cherry Bank's gone...

It's a toss up between The Bengal Room or Bart's or Vista 18???

But then there is the vollyball courts on the Strath...

Better check Abigail's website to see what they promote for their clientele..

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

There is Smith's or they could head into Cook Street Village to the pub there. Or really the whole city to the North.

It has a whole new look!

#51 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

Don't forget one of our prize locales..

The Causeway and the Inner Harbour...

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:58 AM

http://cfax1070.com/polls.php?poll=398

25% of CFAXers don't like cruise ships coming here.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

The folks at CFAX are really good at coming up with absolutely inane poll options. I have to give them credit for that.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

I spoke with a local retailer today about their take on the tourism market in 06. American tourists have sharply declined but Europeans are on the rise.

Just thought I'd throw this into the discussion...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#55 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

"...the World Travel Organisation estimat[es] that outbound tourism from China will soar to 50 million by 2010 and 100 million by 2020"

"Victoria hosted 3.65 million visitors in 2006"
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:05 PM

What I want to know is how many of those visitors are overnight visitors and how many are 2+ night visitors. The fanny pack day tourist hopping over for a day from Vancouver or Seattle spends much less than a tourists who intends to spend a few days here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#57 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

^ Exactly the key is tourists that choose to spend a few days here living like locals, rather than one day wonders that hit all the "attractions".

It has a whole new look!

#58 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:13 PM

I think Tourism Victoria has those stats broken down.

#59 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:46 PM

Summary of the Dalton Hotel at TripAdvisor.com:

Nineteenth-century 4-story Hotel located downtown, within walking distance of financial center, Parliament & harbor.

Financial center?

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

Walking distance of branches of all the major banks.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users