2014 Juno Awards - Victoria bid

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

^ Only 95%? Why couldn't they just manipulate the survey a little more? Then they could say it was unanimous.

Saddam's people are dead.

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

UPBEAT REPORT SAYS VICTORIA CAN MOUNT SUCCESSFUL JUNO PARTY

Aug 5, 2010

THE B-C MUSIC INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION SAYS VICTORIA IS QUITE CAPABLE OF HOSTING A SUCCESSFUL JUNO AWARDS CEREMONY, AND SHOULD BID TO DO SO.

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=14654
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

:eek:
OMG Justin Bieber (my great nieces are 10 and 12. ;)

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

:eek:
OMG Justin Bieber (my great nieces are 10 and 12. ;)

Bieber will be in rehab or jail by 2013. :D
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=14956

VICTORIA PRESSING AHEAD WITH JUNO AWARDS BID

Aug 27, 2010

A LOCAL GROUP HAS DECIDED TO MOVE FORWARD WITH A PROPOSAL TO BID TO MAKE VICTORIA A HOST CITY FOR A JUNO AWARDS CEREMONY.

[...]

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

Nice little presentation this morning backstage at the Royal. Exciting stuff.

#47 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Juno Award bid committee launched

By Robert Randall • Published on Thursday, December 16, 2010

The bid to bring the Juno awards to Victoria had its official launch today at a news conference held this morning on the stage of downtown Victoria’s Royal Theatre.

Hosted by Victoria City Councillor Chris Coleman, the press event marked the start of what Coleman calls “a lot of heavy lifting” between now and mid-April when the bid book is delivered to the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, the non-profit group that administers Canada’s music awards celebration. Coleman was instrumental in getting the bid process off the ground, starting with a series of informal coffee dates in an effort to garner support from a multitude of interest groups, politicians and members of the music community.

more...

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

The Juno 2013 committee has established a new website for the City's Juno Awards bid at http://www.capitalre...musicawards.com

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Saanich has agreed to kick in $100k.

I guess the bid committee has been looking for $1 per resident from around the region.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

Esq. has kicked in $1 a head too.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

March 7th, 2012

The deadline for Victoria to submit a bid for the 2014 Junos is today and the provincial government says it is willing to help -- provided certain financial conditions are met.

BC Liberal Cabinet Minister and Victoria area MLA Ida Chong says the province is first looking for a commitment from local governments.

http://cfax1070.com/...news&Itemid=155

#52 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

I feel a little guilty that my initial (purely emotional) reaction is that this proposal fail miserably. But then, would I be one of "those guys" who cheers for the City to fail? I think my fear is that if we win, the powers that be might see it as validation for keeping the status quo of disjointed, bloated, over-governed little polities that make up Greater Victoria.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

Here's one strange (is it strange?) thing.

If I make sure Google is set not to give any regional priority, and I search "Juno bid 2014", all I find is Victoria articles, dozens of them.

So I'm not sure we are "bidding" against anyone else, unless someone somewhere is doing their organizing in secret.

#54 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

^That's an interesting observation. You'd be foolish to spend hard cash on a bid without community support and media interest and your unscientific experiment suggests we are in a one horse race.

the powers that be might see it as validation for keeping the status quo of disjointed, bloated, over-governed little polities that make up Greater Victoria.

I think the co-operation needed to pull this off would be a step forward.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#55 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

So I'm not sure we are "bidding" against anyone else, unless someone somewhere is doing their organizing in secret.

I think the thing is, that Victoria is bidding to convince CARAS, that this city is big enough to host the event successfully. The Junos can always be held in one of the major markets.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#56 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

I think the thing is, that Victoria is bidding to convince CARAS, that this city is big enough to host the event successfully. The Junos can always be held in one of the major markets.

Both St. John's and Regina have hosted it, both of whom have smaller metropolitan areas than Victoria.

#57 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Venue size also makes a difference. SOFMC is slightly larger than Regina's arena so that's good but it's still smaller than CARAS would like.

What CRD venue has the second largest seating capacity?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Venue size also makes a difference. SOFMC is slightly larger than Regina's arena so that's good but it's still smaller than CARAS would like.

What CRD venue has the second largest seating capacity?

It's been in St. John's twice (2002/10), in a rink with 1000 seats less than ours, and I'm sure without another rink of 2300 (Bear Mountain) nearby, and a facility like the 1400-seat Royal nearby.

It's easy to do here.

#59 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

The Junos can always be held in one of the major markets.

A major market like Winnipeg, Halifax, Regina, Saskatoon, St. John's, or Hamilton... is Victoria really ready to join that elite list?

Give me a break. If Kelowna was planning to host these silly awards, Victorians wouldn't even think twice about it.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

OK, I received some info from Chris Coleman today.

Then I also found this, from April 12:

http://www.bclocalne.../146199815.html

Because of the competitive nature of the bid, exact numbers aren’t being released. Winnipeg and Calgary may also be submitting bids, Coleman said.

Coleman says they submitted a 125-page technical document today. He thinks it's pretty solid.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users