2014 Juno Awards - Victoria bid

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Central Saanich councillor Carl Jensen wants to hear from CS taxpayers if the municipality should contribute to the City of Victoria's bid for the 2014 Junos.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

...Should CS provide financial support towards the Victoria bid to host the Juno Awards? Yes or No...

If the majority say No, then if any CS residents :farmer:choose to attend the event (assuming a successful CRD bid) they should have to pay a premium for tickets, since as a CoV taxpayer, I have already underwritten the cost of the event. Of course I feel the same way about the Johnson Street Bridge, but that's another matter entirely.:rtfm:

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

Many businesses that operate in Victoria have employees that live in Central Saanich, or Metchosin. Or even business OWNERS that have commercial interests downtown.

Look, there is not an industry umbrella organization that can quickly bring together all the players for a single event like this. If it was an annual event, then a private-sector industry group could figure out how to run and fund this every year with corporate sponsors, buy-in from hotels and venues etc. But it's a one-off, organized quite quickly. So the province, and yes the municipalities, should get together and fund this, then they get it back and more in hotel room taxes, HST on purchases, income tax on the workers extra hours etc. Once we secure the bid, then I'm sure organizers will go get some sponsors for what they can, within CARAS rules, as they likely already have some corporate deals we can't trump.

It's important to note that this event brings in dollars from other parts of the country, so it has greater value than say, a Canada Day fireworks show, or entertainers on the Leg lawn on Canada Day, or Symphony Splash. Real people from other parts of the country fly here for the big events, and arrive days early for the other stuff going on that week. It's not just fans for the big show, but all the support crews for the telecast, and all the industry types that come here with decent expense allowances for the week.

So, I hesitate to compare this to the Olympics, because A) we don't need to build expensive infrastructure to do this, and B) we don't have the big security budget an Olympics brings, and C) there is not a big disruption to the public during the event. But, like the Olympics, it brings in OUTSIDE dollars that would not come here otherwise, and it brings them in in the shoulder season (hotel rooms packed in March/April!), so it provides extra hours for hotel and hospitality workers that would not normally see the extra cash at this time of year.

I'm the first guy to call BS when an arts group says that their $15,000 grant gets multiplied 7x or whatever because they get it back in ticket sales taxes or whatever. I call BS because I say that discretionary spending by locals will happen anyway, whether Blue Bridge has a show running, or instead of going to a show, the public attends White Spot for a meal with that same entertainment dollar. But this event brings in money from outside the community, there is no doubt about that. For this reason, the municipalities ought to kick in.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

If the majority say No, then if any CS residents :farmer:choose to attend the event (assuming a successful CRD bid) they should have to pay a premium for tickets, since as a CoV taxpayer, I have already underwritten the cost of the event. Of course I feel the same way about the Johnson Street Bridge, but that's another matter entirely.:rtfm:

:judge: Love it! And agree! You don't want to play with you neighbors then don't come to there park. Stay in your own darn yard then.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#65 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

CFAX poll shows over 70% don't want to pony up for the JUNO's.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

CFAX poll shows over 70% don't want to pony up for the JUNO's.

That sort of public sentiment will not sit well with the committee adjudicating Victoria's bid. :whyme:

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

I am grateful that I had the opportunity to look over the bid package today with Chris Coleman.

It's very impressive. 125 pages.

About 1/3 to one half of it is copies of letters from various community leaders, politicians, business owners etc. expressing specific support. For example it has a letter from Dave Dakers of RG saying what weeks they are happy to offer up the arena for.

The other part of it is detailed floor plans and specifications for SOFMC, Bear Mtn. arena, the conference centre etc., and then specifics on transportation infrastructure, ferry schedules, hotels and their room numbers and rates etc.

So that's all stuff that we might already know, and take for granted, but it's really vital to get across to CARAS to show them we are well-suited.

It's nice to see it all laid out like that. When I first heard it was 125 pages, I thought "what the heck can they ramble on about for 125 pages?" but I can see now it all makes sense.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#68 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

This is really a commercial venture with the bulk if not all of the benefits going to business and a few select individuals. I don't buy that it benefits the greater community as a whole in a meaningful enough way that it warrants public funding. No doubt that hotels, restaurants and the various venues around town were happy to submit a letter of reference; along with their rate guides!

If the various levels of Government suddenly felt that they had an extra million bucks burning a hole in their entertainment pockets, I would far rather see the money spent on a sustainable initiative in the local community.

#69 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

If the various levels of Government suddenly felt that they had an extra million bucks burning a hole in their entertainment pockets, I would far rather see the money spent on a sustainable initiative in the local community.

As Bob Marley says, spanky, "lighten up yourself, and don't be no drag".

There are many intangible benefits. How about many Victorians being exposed to new music, Canadian at that? Might you not get turned on to some music you haven't heard before? What's it worth to have the stories and publicity coming from Victoria? How many of the music journalists in town won't want to stay and file other stories...such as local bands.

Sometimes "fun" costs a bit. I don't think it's burning a hole in any pockets.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Sometimes "fun" costs a bit...

Case in point: it took 500 million tax dollars to make BC Place stadium fun again. :mad:

#71 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

The bit that gets me is that Victoria even has to submit a "bid" I mean its the freakin Junos. It puts Victoria on the Canada map for a day or two but I bet we get more out of the Antiques Roadshow coming to town.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

We've lost Blues Fest, Jazz Fest ain't what it used to be, no more Latin Caribbean fest, no more Cinco de Mayo, Folk Fest is long gone, and even Canada Day festivities are a far cry from what they used to be (and that's on the years we even have them).

Despite being larger in population and the recent talk of being "cosmopolitan" (the Olde England bit thankfully [finally] went the way of the horse drawn carriage) by local tourism pushers, we're probably at par with a place like Nanaimo in terms of our festival culture (and who knows, Nanaimo might even have us beat). And you wouldn't know Victoria was celebrating it's 150th year as a city this year if you didn't look at the odd banner around town. Most cities would be planning a blitz worthy of a sesquicentennial but no, not us, because we have ...wait for it ...Busker Fest!*

The Junos are what this region needs even if it'll be a one-time gig.

*Yes, I'm aware we're the home of Rifflandia and most recently Vic Fest. Thank God for that.:)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

You wouldn't know it was the 150th because it really is the 169th year of the founding of the city. Arbitrary dates detract from the importance.

It has a whole new look!

#74 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

According to the list of Victoria 150 Arts, Cultural and Community Events, "Busker Fest" is one of many events planned.

http://www.victoria....ity-events.html

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

With events like Saga of the Salty Seas and Artistic Renderings of Heritage Trees we'll really be on our way to the big times :whyme:

Know it all.

#76 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

Victoria should have been competing for Expo 17. That would have been an event. Perhaps sometime in the next 20 years...

It has a whole new look!

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Winnipeg to host Juno Awards in 2014 - Manitoba - CBC News

Winnipeg to host Junos in 2014

#78 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

Tegan and Sara's pop makeover Heartthrob set the 43rd Juno Awards swooning, Arcade Fire made its presence felt from almost 10,000 kilometres away while decorated co-host Serena Ryder worked overtime to keep things smooth in the Prairies on Sunday night.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nours-1.2592259

Good for them but bittersweet for us as 2014 could have been our year.

http://vibrantvictor...ittee-launched/

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users