• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#321 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

There are certain items at Safeway I miss. Save On doesn't carry them. The Safeways donut selection was better and Save On mostly has horrible Tims donuts. :whyme: I miss Safeways.

Kicking Horse coffee and Safeway had a nice house-brand pasta sauce that I liked. Pesto cheese something or other.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#322 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

Safeway had excellent jams. Apricot, Blackcurrant, Boysenberry etc. I used to get them when discounted at Oxford, buy 10 at a time. I like jam!

#323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:47 AM

Canadian-Wholesale-Club.jpg

Esquimalt's Canadian Wholesale Club supermarket slated for makeover

http://victoria.citi...d-for-makeover/

After two decades in business Esquimalt's Canadian Wholesale Club supermarket on Viewfield Road will be getting a makeover, Citified has learned. [Full article]

• todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#324 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:04 AM

Esquimalt's Canadian Wholesale Club supermarket slated for makeover

http://victoria.citi...d-for-makeover/

After two decades in business Esquimalt's Canadian Wholesale Club supermarket on Viewfield Road will be getting a makeover, Citified has learned. [Full article]

That building is falling over Mike. Try standing further back so you don't need to use as much of a wide angle lens.  :banana:

#325 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

We like that store for good prices on many packaged items and an expanding choice of asian foods.

#326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

Yup, best deals in town on a lot of staples, for sure. It's certainly no-frills in its design, but hopefully the upgrade that's coming up will address that a little.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#327 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

Love this place too. It is great for a lot of things. Meat and veggies are not on the list though. 

• johnk and todd like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#328 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

We went more often when we were homestay hosts. Three high school girls can really tear through (sorry, couldn't resist) the toilet paper. They also had the best deals on things like granola bars for school lunches.
I dont mind bare-bones decor when there are bargains.

#329 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:27 AM

Love this place too. It is great for a lot of things. Meat and veggies are not on the list though.

Agree, the meat never looks that attractive to me.

#330 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

We went more often when we were homestay hosts. Three high school girls can really tear through (sorry, couldn't resist) the toilet paper. They also had the best deals on things like granola bars for school lunches.
I dont mind bare-bones decor when there are bargains.

We're thinking of doing the homestay host thing. Do they sell gruel?

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#331 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:36 AM

We're thinking of doing the homestay host thing. Do they sell gruel?

Gruel is pretty easy to make. Potato skins, tree bark, moss soup.
Also, google the Queen Mary troopship accomodation plan. You can stack bunks three high if your ceilings are 8'. Higher ceilings= bonus bunks!
Seriously, if you wish I can fill you in via PM on the details from 18 yrs of it.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#332 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:11 AM

Save-on-Foods, the largest grocer in Western Canada, is expanding its footprint with a seventh Greater Victoria location planned for Langford.

The company, which operates more than 140 stores in Western Canada, said Wednesday it will open its newest location in the spring of 2018 in the Home Outfitters store. Hudson’s Bay Company, parent of Home Outfitters, is closing the store at 759 McCallum Rd., in the Gateway Station Shopping Centre, near Costco.

The Home Outfitters store in the Tillicum Shopping Centre is continuing to operate.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.yGNVEnMv.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#333 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:55 AM

Edit

Edited by Nparker, 15 September 2016 - 06:56 AM.

#334 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

The market on millstream will feel the pinch

#335 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

The market on millstream will feel the pinch

They had mixed messages in today's TC.

On top of all that, just off the Millstream Road corridor, there is Costco and the Market on Millstream.

“They are opening a grocery store in the Western Communities at an alarming pace, one a year, and the population growth just doesn’t support it to be honest,” said Darryl Hein, co-owner of the Market on Millstream. “It seems to be extreme overkill to me.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...v.P7D3QiYj.dpuf

Jones said he believes the area is continuing to grow, and isn’t concerned about the competition.

As for operating under the shadow of Costco, Jones said it’s a battle he’s faced before.

“Costco is very good at what it does and it actually brings people to a community or an area,” he said, adding in some regions Overwaitea Group stores share parking lots with Costco. “If you’re very good at the things Costco isn’t as good at, you can do well competing in markets against them.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...v.P7D3QiYj.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#336 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

Agree, the meat never looks that attractive to me.

Yeah I'll third that comment; that said we frequent Wholesale Club occasionally because you can get some nice deals on certain bulk items without trekking out to Costco for the same reason. Also their Asian section is quite interesting and since we have a *very* finicky tabby cat we can also get very good deals on 24 packs of Whiskas "perfect portions" wet food. Took forever to find something the furry little b******d would eat - "none of that pate crap for me dad!!" - so we'll continue to go W-C for no other reason if need be :)

#337 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:47 PM

^ I'm almost sure you'll find the cat will eat any food, if that's the only choice.  It won't just starve itself to death.  Damn, those critters have almost mastered us.

#338 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:58 PM

^ I'm almost sure you'll find the cat will eat any food, if that's the only choice.  It won't just starve itself to death.  Damn, those critters have almost mastered us.

MAX.jpg
  • Nparker, AllseeingEye, sebberry and 4 others like this

#339 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:18 PM

Not a chance; still have at least two packages of cat food kicking around from 3 years ago. This tabby is very adamant about what he likes and what he doesn't, period. And as we discovered anything labeled as "pate" - which is to say much if not the majority of wet cat food today - is a complete non starter. Won't even take a sniff and its important they eat the wet with the dry. Not a healthy option to restrict them to 100% dry food.

• kirk likes this

#340 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:09 PM

I don't want to play the Pol Pot card here (any more than Tinto Rocks wants to play the soundtrack for the documentary), but starve that thing and then see how picky it is.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users