Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

I'm still hoping this will reappear:

7458028874_fa838fdafd_b.jpghttps://www.flickr.c...N02/7458028874/

• Nparker, Matt R. and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#442 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

I believe this was killed off by the Bolsheviks.

• Rob Randall, Nostalgic Victoria and kafkaesque like this

#443 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

I believe this was killed off by the Bolsheviks.

Ah, I should have seen that coming.

• Nparker and kafkaesque like this

#444 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

https://www.realtor....Columbia-V9A3P2

Address: 1237 - 1243 Esquimalt Road: Investment or Redevelopment Opportunity. Commercial Retail Building with residential suite on 2nd level. 4 retail units on street level. Located in the Commercial Core area of Esquimalt near City Hall and the proposed Esquimalt Town Square ( to be built ) to its east. The building consists of 6,385 sf ( retail ) on the main level and 1,515 sf ( residential ) on the 2nd level. There is also 1,515 sf storage space in the basement. Corner lot at Esquimalt Rd. and Park Place, zoned C - 3 ( Core Commercial ). Land area is approx. 10,000 sf ( per BCAA ). This property would appeal to either an Investor or Developer. Detailed Information Package available. Phase 2 Environmental completed.

$1.55M

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#445 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

Overdue for redevelopment

1237-1243.JPG

1237-1243-2.JPG

#446 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

^ This place is a shite hole, with no historic value any mire since it was stripped down and stucco'd.

But I bet people will be up in arms if a new buyer attempts to redevelop.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#447 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

...But I bet people will be up in arms if a new buyer attempts to redevelop.

I'm sure as long as no increased density is part of the plan the peace might be maintained, of course then there is no way it would be financially viable. 

#448 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

I'm not usually a fan of a municipality getting involved in private real estate, but if Esquimalt can just come up with $1.5M, it can take control of this key corner, and then re-sell it to the bidder that shares the best vision.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 September 2017 - 06:54 AM.

• grantpalin likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#449 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

What is the "price hierarchy" for Victoria-area grocers? Trying to figure out the best bang for the buck for different kinds of food. Is it possible to shop exclusively in/around downtown without having your wallet cleaned out?

Edited by Casual Kev, 19 April 2018 - 07:59 PM.

#450 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:11 PM

What is the "price hierarchy" for Victoria-area grocers? Trying to figure out the best bang for the buck for different kinds of food. Is it possible to shop exclusively in/around downtown without having your wallet cleaned out?

That's probably pretty hard. Market on Yates and Red Barn are probably the most expensive, followed by Thrifty Foods. I think Save On Foods is next, then Fairways, then Wal-Mart the least expensive.

#451 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:33 PM

Wellburn's has cheap staples.  Generally not much selection of brands though.  Oxford Foods is an adventure.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 April 2018 - 08:33 PM.

#452 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

....Trying to figure out the best bang for the buck for different kinds of food. Is it possible to shop exclusively in/around downtown without having your wallet cleaned out?

Chinatown for the best prices on produce.

• Matt R. likes this

#453 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:57 PM

Is Res Barn considered expensive now?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#454 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:48 AM

I would expect Res Barn to be less expensive than Red Barn.

If you keep an eye out you can find deals anywhere. Sometimes the Market on Yates' regular prices are lower than Thrifty's "sale" prices.  MoY and Red Barn often seem expensive because they feature a lot of pricey boutique items other stores don't carry.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and weirdie like this

#455 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:19 AM

I buy fruit at Oxford as they generally have smaller sizes of things...eg grapefruit. They're inexpensive. Good for things like oranges, lettuce, bean sprouts (you can buy them loose rather than a sealed bag). Also ice cream is on sale quite often, their chicken breasts are cheaper (and less rubbery than Thriftys). They have a different selection of things like jam, and smaller quantities of items like bleach, safflo, etc. I prefer small sizes as we don't have a lot of cupboard space for the huge containers.

#456 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:23 AM

Not even going to mention Whole Foods or Planet Organic, eh? Those two climb to the top easily. How are QF's prices since they've been bought out by Pattison?

#457 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:59 AM

They have a different selection of things like jam, and smaller quantities of items like bleach, safflo, etc. 

What's with Oxford and their big collection of weird eastern European jam? I imagine that old guy in the tweed coat buying off the back of Olek's truck in a back alley.

• Nparker likes this

#458 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

What's with Oxford and their big collection of weird eastern European jam? I imagine that old guy in the tweed coat buying off the back of Olek's truck in a back alley.

Always check the expiry dates on products when you shop at Oxford Foods.  One time I informed the store clerk that they were selling Raisin Bran past the expiry date.  She responded:  "That's why it's on sale." 

#459 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

Are goods not to be sold after the have expired, as in is that a health code violation?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#460 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

Depends if it a best by or sale by date.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users