Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

^Really? Even seafood? You're a braver man than me.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Thrifty's used to have these nice pre-made stuffed salmon rolls at the fish counter. Now they're the same commercially made, frozen ones that are taken right out of the same boxes they sell in the freezer and they're not nearly as tasty.

As for Fairways, a friend of mine picked up some milk at one of their stores recently and it was three weeks past the expiry date. He's had some issues with their meat too.

Safeway seems extremely optimistic about expiry dates on their fresh chicken - usually 10 days or so. I used to buy chicken thinking "it's a few days before expiry, it should be good" only to open it the next day and be quite disappointed.

With food production becoming more and more commercialized and chemicalized, it's no wonder why it's hard to find fresh healthy food and why obesity is quickly becoming a big problem in Canada.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#43 Dan

Dan
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Only reason I still use thrifties is because it's literally 5 seconds away from my house, and cheaper than Safeway. I'm on the fence though.. Safeways a little more money, a little extra walking, but also a little higher quality stock.

#44 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

I know that I used to grumble about the prices but now the selection is just awful, too. I was really looking for an item, so I left the Thrifty's at Fairfiel Plaza after I couldn't find it and drove over to the Fairways in Quadra Vilalge. WOW! Not only did they have what I wanted, but a few different brands of it, to boot!

I'm done with Thrifty's. From now on, it's Oxford, Fairways, Wal-Mart and Costco.

Me too. Overpriced by a lot!!! Now I know why Alex Campbell died so rich. Occasionally I use Thrifty's for home delivery but after yesterday...8 bags of groceries $292.00 and one bag only had 3 items. I know, I know it's my own fault. But I was sick.

We have company staying so I thought it would be prudent to order groceries.

#45 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

Being in England for the past two months has really made me appreciate the stores we have in Victoria, Thriftys and Fairways. Just look at these two photos. The quality and selection of items is as utilitarian as as their presentation. :whyme:

#46 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

When Sobeys bought Thrifty I think they paid huge money for the right to continue using Thrifty's name and benefit from all the good will and loyalty that the Campbells had earned over the years. I think people are beginning to realize that they are not Thrifty Foods anymore. Customer service, selection and value have really tailed off in the past few years. The smile used to be in the aisle, then it was in the bag, now it's not even in the neighbourhood.

#47 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

^Really? Even seafood? You're a braver man than me.

HAHA, no I'm not that crazy! No meats or prepared meats, either.

I seem to have met a lot of people that are moving into the area and I general counsel them as follows:

Oxford: staples and vegetables
Fairways: Asian staples and vegetables
Wal-Mart: staples, household goods
Costco: meat (big boxes of IQF chicken boobs and angus burgers), seafood, frozen veggies, household goods
Island Meat & Seafood or Slater's: jerky; and steak and seafood that I plan to use that night
Thrifty's or Safeway: When it's late and you're stuck
Market on Yates: only if you're a lottery winner

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

^^^ at least the produce section has pics above the bins so you know what's in them.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

Costco: meat (big boxes of IQF chicken boobs and angus burgers), seafood, frozen veggies, household goods

It's been a while since I shopped at Costco. How's the value on frozen foods like chicken compared to local fresh products?

And I always thought the frozen stuff didn't taste quite as good, or is that less of a problem with IQF preperation?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm opening up a Consumers Distributing grocery franchise where you pick your produce and meat from a catalog and a clerk runs to the back and brings it all up to you wrapped up. My business model is dependent on people not opening up the packages until they get home.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#51 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

Will it be anything like UCC Totalhome, AKA DirectBuy where members have to pay exorbitant membership fees before they can even see what sort of produce and meat they can buy?

#52 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

It's been a while since I shopped at Costco. How's the value on frozen foods like chicken compared to local fresh products?

And I always thought the frozen stuff didn't taste quite as good, or is that less of a problem with IQF preperation?

It's usually between $25-32 (depending if it is on sale) for a 4kg box - so $7.50-8.00/kg? I usually use it in stirfries (along with a big bag of stirfry veg, courtesy Costco), so the flavour of the meat is generally hidden. It cooks up nice and moist, though.

I find IQF to be both more consistent and more convenient. In fact, there are studies out there that show that IQF goods - especially those frozen right after picking, netting, killing, etc. - taste superior to so-called fresh meats, fish and produce - mainly because they've not been sitting in a truck waiting to get here. Of course, with local products, it's not much of an issue - provided you can tell when it was picked, fished or killed.

I'm not the type of person who stops at the store on the way home to pick up ingredients for dinner, so this works really well for me.

#53 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

I might have to renew my Costco membership then and give it a try. There are other things I should look at buying in larger quantities too. I had a membership when I had a roommate but I just ended up buying their pre-made pasta dishes all the time and got fat.

#54 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

I might have to renew my Costco membership then and give it a try. There are other things I should look at buying in larger quantities too. I had a membership when I had a roommate but I just ended up buying their pre-made pasta dishes all the time and got fat.

I would also consider an apartment sized standing deep freezer and a vacuum packer. Tonnes on UsedVictoria.

I also find that they have great prices for cheese (try to buy the same large $30 chunk of Parmiggiano Reggiano - the best parmesan cheese in the world - at Thrifty's and I guarantee it will cost you more like $75), steaks (I like buying the side and then cutting the steaks to a thickness that I like and then freezing the rest), salad (clamshells that are $9 @ Thriftys' are $4) and large bags of nuts (almonds, cashews, etc.).

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

I'm opening up a Consumers Distributing grocery franchise where you pick your produce and meat from a catalog and a clerk runs to the back and brings it all up to you wrapped up. My business model is dependent on people not opening up the packages until they get home.

Why not go with infomercials? The can't-see-it-until-you-own-it concept was born there.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

They already sell tomato plants that way.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

I don't think I've ever purchased frozen meat from Costco. Most of the meat is unfrozen, isn't it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

I despise cooking with frozen meat.

Always use fresh. Home cooked food is not something I nickel and dime on.

#59 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

I don't think I've ever purchased frozen meat from Costco. Most of the meat is unfrozen, isn't it?

Most of it is, yes. I like cooking with fresh when I am cooking the meat as the entree: a steak, a breast of chicken or a pork chop. Stirfries, stews, ragouts - it doesn't make a difference.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

^yeah, I didn't think they really carried much frozen meat.

Generally speaking Costco meats are very high quality but my most recent purchase required a trip back to the store for a refund.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users