Photo

Chek-tv | Local cable 6

• Please log in to reply
660 replies to this topic

#401 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

I'll tell you what puts someone's safety at risk, a guy high on drugs shooting a gun in public. Which he did, twice.

I guess it's not unreasonable to wait until the incident is over then have a media explosion, with a request like that?

#402 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:04 PM

The police and more often the RCMP try to prevent people from filming events such as this.

#403 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:16 PM

CHEK currently has a news story about "Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal in Nanaimo". Isn't CHEK all local now? Bizarre mistake.

#404 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:49 PM

This isn't the CHEK TV of yesteryear unfortunately; pretty thin on resources - including editors apparently - and lots of newby faces in the last ~ year. Pretty green crew methinks. And being 'employee-owned' you just have to think salaries aren't so great in terms of attracting and retaining the best and brightest talent.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 07 November 2016 - 06:49 PM.

#405 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:14 AM

A bit surreal seeing and hearing your father four years after he passed in this clip but congrats nonetheless to CHEK for 60 years on air. Lots of changes indeed since the "old days":

http://www.cheknews....ars-air-237451/

• Nparker likes this

#406 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:21 PM

This afternoon a truck flipped in the highway to Duke Point. It was reported today as near "Departure Bay, Nanaimo". So unlike yesterday when they had the side of the water wrong, at least today they're in the right municipality but still the two terminals aren't particularly close.

You think yesterday would have been a geographical learning experience.

#407 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:30 PM

They said tonight they are the only stand-alone TV station in Canada and the only employee-owned station in North America.

#408 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:07 PM

CHEK launches hour-long weekend newscast, people on FB just ***** they do not know the on-air talent.

https://www.facebook.com/cheknews/

• AllseeingEye likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#409 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

CHEK launches hour-long weekend newscast

Worked their for 12 years and my last day was 8 years ago to the day.

I watched the news cast tonight and I am finally impressed after all that time :)

• VicHockeyFan, AllseeingEye and todd like this

#410 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:24 PM

Here is a thowback to the earlier CHEK I knew as a kid; the arm patch from my dad's old CHEK jacket circa about 1965-ish 

Attached Images

• CHEK Patch.jpg

• Hotel Mike and todd like this

#411 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:07 PM

CHEK POLL   Would you like to see the "McBarge" in Victoria's Inner Harbour?

YES   26%

NO     74%

#412 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:32 PM

Why doesn't CHEK Point web poll give a count of how many people have voted?

:banana: CHEK news appears to now display the number of votes cast in their web polls!

http://www.cheknews.ca/

#413 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

"It’s owner says while there are no firm statistics it’s believed close to 40,000 people of Chinese decent live on Vancouver Island."

Who writes this crap?

The key to reading CHEK stories is to treat them like Shakespeare or James Joyce. Don't get hung up on what you perceive as "errors". Allow the rhythm of the authors' words, grammar and creative punctuation flow over you in the same way you would enjoy classical music or fine abstract art.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Jill and 2 others like this

#414 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

Lee MacKenzie was a CHEK news anchor.

After corresponding by mail, Lee fell for Kenner, and in 1982, they married. But not long after, the relationship was in ruins.

He'd stolen her money, forged her name on bad cheques, and left her not just in legal peril and financial ruin, but emotionally shattered.

http://www.cbc.ca/ra...onman-1.4029431

http://penguinrandom...1/lee-mackenzie

#415 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:16 AM

Was she the one who had the electric bike business on Yates Street at one point?

#416 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:01 AM

Was she the one who had the electric bike business on Yates Street at one point?

Apparently so!

image.jpeg

#417 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

She might have been a bit too early with the electric bikes. Their adoption rate seems to be going up (and Victoria is a flat city...imagine living where there are lots of hills)

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#418 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

Victoria isn't that flat compared to say, Dutch cities.
  • spanky123 likes this

#419 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

^ Or Winnipeg or Regina. But there aren't very many substantial hills to deal with in Victoria in the central parts of the city.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#420 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

Bundled in toques instead of tipping their toes in the surf, is a snapshot of Spring Break 2017 in Parksville.

It is terrible, terrible weather,” says Ingo Gruntmanne walking Parksville’s beach. “And it’s supposed to be spring where’s the nice sunshine.”

Even the daffodils are staying inside. To stay out of the cold wet weather that’s made this typically boom sun filled tourism time, a dark one for businesses this year.

“It impacts everything yeah,” says Susan Lafauci of Paradise Adventure Mini Golf. “I remember when the ski resorts when they had no snow. It’s the same thing.”

Usually packed resorts up and down Oceanside have vacancy signs alight in hopes of luring passing travellers in at Qualicum Beach’s Sandpebbles Inn, Manager Paul Trudeau is shocked by the impact this cold spring break is having on this tourist reliant community.

“Well people will call and ask how the weather is and then they’ll push their booking back and then they’ll call a few days later and push it back a few bits and then eventually they’ll cancel,” says Trudeau.

Instead of a full hotel, prospective Spring Breakers are calling in cancellations and checking out early to head back to the still sub zero prairies.

“People find better weather out east as opposed to here and so they’re just not able to stand the weather. So they went home,” says Trudeau.

At Susan Lafauci’s, Mini Golf and Bumper Boat Park, she thinks this is the worst start to the season in her business’ 29 years.

“I don’t remember too many March’s where it’s just gone on and on like this. This is a whole month you know,” says Lafauci.

Yet without any control of the weather they’re dealt resorts can only look forward. Fingers crossed, hopeful.

“You hope that we’re going to have a really good summer. A busy, busy hot summer,” says Lafauci.

When parkas will be stowed away for paddle boards and Parksville’s beaches and visitors truly get their days in the sun.

http://www.cheknews....resorts-295067/

It's almost like they are deliberately trying to make these hard to read...

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users