Photo

Chek-tv | Local cable 6

• Please log in to reply
660 replies to this topic

#421 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

I wonder if they're using software to transcribe the audio from the TV reports into text that they can post unedited on their site.

#422 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

I wonder if they're using software to transcribe the audio from the TV reports into text that they can post unedited on their site.

That's what it looks like.

#423 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

In other news, James Joyce has been hired by CHEK-TV to provide colourful commentary pieces at the conclusion of the 5 p.m. broadcast. He'll fit right in.

• Nparker likes this

#424 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

But there has to be an initial script to work from. She isn't watching the monitor ad-libbing.

#425 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

Interesting - "Mighty" Mike Easton, owner of the highly regarded and popular Puget Sound Radio site is handing over the reins to a younger radio colleague, Brian Cook:

https://www.pugetsou...rt-new-venture/

As for MM, he is apparently moving forward in his chosen direction of presenting truth and factual news, not just in media, but in government and corporate business. The new venture is called Easton Spectator, Connecting the Dots:

www.EastonSpectator.com

#426 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:15 AM

Langford man gets Ferrari impounded, wants speed limit changes on Malahat
Posted By: Calvin Toon:  July 10, 2017In: CHEKNewsTop Stories

Editor’s note: Since CHEK first reported this story, Mr. Fryer has produced a YouTube video saying CHEK lied about his call for increased speed limits on the Malahat. The YouTube video was the first CHEK News had heard that Mr. Fryer was concerned about the way we reported the story. We have since met with Mr. Fryer and reviewed both our published story and the raw interview with him.  Upon reflection, the way the story was edited may have been misleading. In the interview, Mr. Fryer said there should be variable speed limits that could be changed based on weather and road conditions. Mr. Fryer said, “I think 80 km/h is too slow for summer and 80 km/h is too fast for winter if it’s snowing or raining.”  We have edited the headline and video to more accurately portray Mr. Fryer’s views. CHEK News prides itself on being accurate and accountable. We regret if our original reporting led to any misunderstanding. It certainly was not intentional.

A Langford man is calling for variable speed limits on the Malahat after he was caught speeding in his Ferrari. Calvin To has the reaction from safety advocates.

http://www.cheknews....peeding-346236/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#427 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

CHEK's new mission statement:

CHEK News prides itself on being accurate and accountable. And incomplete sentences. We are working on.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and Jill like this

#428 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

Although I was never personally a fan, for those wondering whatever happened to Mia Lawrence, ex-CHEK sportscaster who was jettisoned in 2014 due to budget shortfalls, she has landed a new gig in Vancouver co-hosting on Sportsnet 650 with Steve Darling (ex-Global TV, unsuccessful Liberal candidate in the recent election) and James Cybulski (ex-Sportsnet Connected and News 1130 in Vancouver).

#429 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:17 PM

^Mira

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#430 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

/\...Mira....fumble fingers....:)

• sebberry and todd like this

#431 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

I've submitted a complaint to the Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council about CHEK News. This is an industry group to which CHEK voluntarily belongs.

No one and no organization is perfect. But CHEK News can do better:

Most journalists work in their profession for noble reasons. Most of them intend to do the right thing. But sometimes – just like some police officers – they become jaded and numb to what they see on a regular basis. Media outlets are uniquely positioned in terms of their ability to inform millions of people. A gratuitous and insensitive decision by a journalist can lead to more grief and trauma, and foster a more cynical society.

The following has been submitted to the Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council in relation to a CHEK News segment that was broadcast on September 11, 2017:

Dear Sir or Ma’am,

I am writing to express my concern and disappointment regarding the decision by CHEK News to broadcast security camera footage of a fatal motorcycle collision.

The news clip even included a close up / enhanced replay showing [graphic description of collision removed].

<snip>

#432 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

^I agree. I know it must be tempting to get a breaking news scoop on the air but sometimes reporters and editors need to take a pause and think carefully about what they choose to put on the air.

CHEK screwed up.
  • David Bratzer likes this

#433 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

We are defending CHEK and Black Press on this.  We think it's fair.  It's long shot, no gory deets.  Compare it to the close-up we saw of a luge competitor that died at Vancouver 2010.

21764010_10154728997370894_1985216110_n.jpg

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 September 2017 - 07:25 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#434 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

It's long shot, no gory deets.

It showed him being crushed by a truck for Christ's sake.

#435 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

Goldstream Gazette also had the video on their website. it has since been removed.

VHF - it was video taken from the nearby Bistro's security camera pointing in the direction of the intersection where the collision occurred. 

What they should have done was air the video until the point moments before the collision occurred.  There was no need to show the impact and the truck continuing through the turn. 

I am however glad that the public got to see a terrible example of driving on the part of the pickup truck driver.  As long as the local traffic units keep hammering home the importance of not repositioning your phone while stopped at a light, or not going 45 down Quadra, sloppy driving like this will continue. 

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#436 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:29 PM

It showed him being crushed by a truck for Christ's sake.

Fair enough, but what's your limit on a free press?  A member here has launched a complaint, saying that a member media organization should be compelled to not show it.

No, people should like or dislike CHEK and Black Press, view them or read them, or not.  That's easy.  Let the market decide.

#437 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

Goldstream Gazette also had the video on their website. it has since been removed.

GG has a history of backtracking, they wrote a story on the Langford HA clubhosue, then begged us by phone to stop quoting them after they pulled their story.  We did not do it.  Some stuff gotta stand, if we are gonna be free.

#438 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

Fair enough, but what's your limit on a free press?  A member here has launched a complaint, saying that a member media organization should be compelled to not show it.

<snip>

What on earth does this have to do with freedom of the press?  The Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council is a voluntary, self-regulatory organization of private broadcasters.  My position is that if CHEK wants to voluntarily remain a member of the CBSC, they need to comply with the CBSC codes of conduct. Otherwise, they should leave the organization. No one is forcing them to stay.  The choice is theirs.

#439 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

^I agree. I know it must be tempting to get a breaking news scoop on the air but sometimes reporters and editors need to take a pause and think carefully about what they choose to put on the air.

CHEK screwed up.

I agree, we do not need to see the video at all, just as we will not see the still pictures the accident reconstruction folks take.

We have enough sensational new elsewhere for those who are hungry for it.

#440 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

I agree, we do not need to see the video at all, just as we will not see the still pictures the accident reconstruction folks take.

Would you have supported the absence of media that many government officials wanted during the Vietnam War?  Would that have been better with no coverage?

ap_72060801062.jpg

Careful the democratic clampdowns you all wish and hope for here... We feel it's better that people choose rather than people that write in complain and ask a body to censor.  That's just us though.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 September 2017 - 08:22 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users