• Please log in to reply
656 replies to this topic

#461 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

IMO, it's just common decency that you don't show dead or dying bodies in local newspapers or local TV news shows.

I know common decency is a thing of the past, but that still doesn't mitigate the fact that if indeed folks were exercising it (common decency) as they should be, we wouldn't be looking a dead and dying people on or in the local news.

People tune into, or read local news specifically to AVOID the "if it bleeds - it leads" mindset.

All somewhat irrelevant considering common decency departed the planet years ago, and this is but another bit of proof that not only is it gone, but that it will likely never return.

I'm all for press freedom, but this is a particularly sad exercise of that freedom.

• Nparker and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#462 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

CHEK and Black Press are hardly credible news sources to begin with.

I haven't watched, or read either of them for YEARS, and I suspect I'm not alone.

Where do you get your local news? 

Anyone reading this forum knows I've given local media a lot of grief (I got into a bit of a back and forth with a CHEK producer regarding a poorly done segment on Atwell once), but I also will commend them for doing a good job and will defend them when they're being unfairly slagged.

As for asking Bratzer to curtail his outspokenness on social media, dude, that boat sailed like ten years ago.

• David Bratzer likes this

#463 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

As for asking Bratzer to curtail his outspokenness on social media, dude, that boat sailed like ten years ago.

I don't think anyone is asking David to hold back his opinions. Quite the contrary.

• David Bratzer likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#464 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

I don't think anyone is asking David to hold back his opinions. Quite the contrary.

He has a credible perspective for sure during his 6 year tenure.

• Mike K. and David Bratzer like this

#465 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Where do you get your local news? 

Right here in the forum!, - much faster, more thorough, and way more accurate than any local newspaper or local TV station!

• Nostalgic Victoria, johnk and todd like this

#466 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:15 PM

https://www.cheknews...ex-fire-367656/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this in Vic West (not Esquimalt)?

#467 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

Correct, Vic West.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#468 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

This CBSC decision was released today.  Something for CHEK News to consider:

Ottawa, September 26, 2017 – The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) today released its decisions concerning cellphone video footage of a school stabbing in Abbotsford, British Columbia, which was included in Global BC and CTV Vancouver newscasts on November 1, 2016.  The CBSC concluded that inclusion of the video was an unnecessary depiction of violence under the Canadian Association of Broadcasters’ (CAB) Violence Code and offended the dignity of the victims contrary to the Radio Television Digital News Association of Canada’s (RTDNA) Code of Journalistic Ethics.

On November 1, 2016, two female high school students were stabbed by an attacker in a school hallway.  The school was in lockdown for many hours and a suspect was taken into custody.  The incident was the top story on the 6:00 pm newscasts of both Global BC and CTV Vancouver.  Someone from inside the school had captured part of one attack on cellphone video, which had then been posted to social media internet sites.  The two television stations showed the cellphone video during their newscasts.  CTV warned viewers before showing the video.  It blurred out the victim’s image, and eliminated the audio portion.  Global also blurred out the victim’s image, but included the audio portion and failed to advise viewers in advance.  Global also rebroadcast the clip twice during its 11:00 pm newscast.

The CBSC received numerous complaints from viewers of both stations, complaining that the clip had been too violent and disturbing and that it had been disrespectful to the victims and their families.  A CBSC Adjudicating Panel examined the complaints under the News article of the CAB Violence Code and the Respect article of the RTDNA Code of Journalistic Ethics.  The CBSC concluded that inclusion of the cellphone video was unnecessary to tell the story, so both broadcasters violated both codes.  It also concluded that Global violated the code provision that requires broadcasters to warn viewers in advance of showing scenes of graphic violence.

The CBSC was created in 1990 by Canada’s private broadcasters to administer the codes of standards that they established for their industry.  The CBSC currently administers 7 codes which deal with ethics, equitable portrayal, violence, news and journalistic independence.  Around 800 radio stations, satellite radio services, television stations and specialty and pay television services across Canada participate in the Council.

#469 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:48 AM

Why does it have to take a year to arrive at these opinions? Also, more importantly, what sort of chastise would these two media giants expect to receive?

#470 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:33 AM

Why does it have to take a year to arrive at these opinions? Also, more importantly, what sort of chastise would these two media giants expect to receive?

Here is what Global BC is required to do (very similar outcome for CTV Vancouver):

Global BC is required to:  1) announce the decision, in the following terms, once during prime time within three days following the release of this decision; once more within seven days following the release of this decision during the time period in which Global News Hour at 6 was broadcast (but not on the same day as the first mandated announcement), and once during the time period in which Global News at 11 was broadcast (but not on the same day as the first mandated announcement); 2) within the fourteen days following the broadcasts of the announcements, to provide written confirmation of the airing of the statement to the complainants who filed the Ruling Requests; and 3) at that time, to provide the CBSC with a copy of that written confirmation and with air check copies of the broadcasts of the three announcements which must be made by Global BC.

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has found that Global BC breached the Canadian Association of Broadcasters’ Violence Code and the Radio Television Digital News Association’s Code of Journalistic Ethics in its coverage of the Abbotsford school stabbing on November 1, 2016.  Global showed parts of a cellphone video of the attack.  This was an unnecessary depiction of violence contrary to Article 6 of the Violence Code and was disrespectful to the young victims contrary to Article 5 of the Code of Journalistic Ethics.

#471 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:15 AM

So in other words it should increase their viewership when they draw attention to the fact that they are trying to displace CNN in Canada for the go to spot for blood and guts reporting. 

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#472 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:18 AM

"Unnecessary depiction of violence" seems like a flimsy ruling in the first place.  All TV news images are unnecessary, but I'm sure broadcasts would be less interesting without them.

What was the harm done here, and to who?  That's what I'd rather see a ruling on.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#473 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

VicPD has issued a statement today in regards to CHEK's coverage of the force's deployment of surveillance cameras during the Goodlife Marathon.

The force said the story failed to mention that the public was warned about the deployment of the cameras, as is required of the force under such circumstances. VicPD also took issue with the photo used to lead CHEK's story which showed a camera setup that misrepresented the type of cameras used at the marathon and implied that the installations were hard-mounted and not temporary.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#474 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

Seems to be a trend:

Our follow-up included contacting the man by telephone first, in order to explain the situation and ask him to come out of his suite. Officers also cordoned off adjacent hallways and staircases.  Once the situation was clarified, officers ensured the man’s well-being and apologized that he had been placed in this situation.  We accept and understand that the man remembers things differently – this was clearly an unusual and stressful situation.

After seeing the erroneous details reported in the first Times Colonist story, Deputy Chief Colin Watson visited the man Tuesday afternoon to clarify what had occurred and re-explain our actions. Deputy Chief Watson also apologized for the situation the man found himself in, but also explained that our duty to ensure public safety sometimes requires that innocent people are momentarily inconvenienced.  We felt that it was important to follow up with the man to make sure he was okay.

https://www.vicpd.ca/node/1720

#475 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

https://twitter.com/vicpdcanada

screenshot-twitter.com-2017-10-10-10-31-29-639.png

#476 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

Seems to be a trend:

Our follow-up included contacting the man by telephone first, in order to explain the situation and ask him to come out of his suite. Officers also cordoned off adjacent hallways and staircases.  Once the situation was clarified, officers ensured the man’s well-being and apologized that he had been placed in this situation.  We accept and understand that the man remembers things differently – this was clearly an unusual and stressful situation.

After seeing the erroneous details reported in the first Times Colonist story, Deputy Chief Colin Watson visited the man Tuesday afternoon to clarify what had occurred and re-explain our actions. Deputy Chief Watson also apologized for the situation the man found himself in, but also explained that our duty to ensure public safety sometimes requires that innocent people are momentarily inconvenienced.  We felt that it was important to follow up with the man to make sure he was okay.

https://www.vicpd.ca/node/1720

Curse CHEK News  :mad:

#477 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

Will VicPD come clean about how long the CCTV recordings are retained?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#478 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

Will VicPD come clean about how long the CCTV recordings are retained?

Those VHS tapes degrade after awhile so it is pointless to keep them after that. 

#479 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

Those VHS tapes degrade after awhile so it is pointless to keep them after that. 

....... no definitive life expectancy ....... VHS tapes tend to degrade 10 percent to 20 percent over the course of 10 to 25 years ........

http://www.ebay.com/...78626983/g.html

Meanwhile marge down the street has a Seagate 60TB SSD.

#480 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

Meanwhile marge down the street has a Seagate 60TB SSD.

She must be from the future. Seagate announced one last year, but I don't think you can buy it yet. Marge must be pretty dang wealthy too, as it'll probably cost 50k CAD as well...

• todd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users