Photo

Chek-tv | Local cable 6

• Please log in to reply
656 replies to this topic

#41 Chris J

Chris J
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

I think that it would be shame to be left with only one TV station. Which does not mean that I am a CHEK fan. Mostly I am thinking of the news (I don't have a TV, so I am not sure if there is other local programming). CHEK news is as crappy and formulaic as any coverage. Having said that, I would much rather see a TV station owned by workers than a big goliath like Canwest or CTV. I would rather the employees buy the place instead of having the equipment parcelled out to existing Canwest affiliates.
If I truly had a choice, I would like to see CHEK evolve into a mix of TVO, PBS, CBC, SHAW TV, YouTube and local independent media. (To name a few) It would involve a series of public input forums, where the future of local media is discussed and a collective consensus based model is created to be an example for the rest of the world.
Together we could create something breathtakingly innovative.
I am a realist in a lot of ways, and fear I will continue to be bored and sometimes disgusted with whatever does hapen over there.
B the Media @ B Channel News
Local Comprehensive Coverage

http://bchannelnews.tv

#42 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:16 PM

I think that it would be shame to be left with only one TV station. Which does not mean that I am a CHEK fan. Mostly I am thinking of the news (I don't have a TV, so I am not sure if there is other local programming). CHEK news is as crappy and formulaic as any coverage. Having said that, I would much rather see a TV station owned by workers than a big goliath like Canwest or CTV. I would rather the employees buy the place instead of having the equipment parcelled out to existing Canwest affiliates.
If I truly had a choice, I would like to see CHEK evolve into a mix of TVO, PBS, CBC, SHAW TV, YouTube and local independent media. (To name a few) It would involve a series of public input forums, where the future of local media is discussed and a collective consensus based model is created to be an example for the rest of the world.
Together we could create something breathtakingly innovative.
I am a realist in a lot of ways, and fear I will continue to be bored and sometimes disgusted with whatever does hapen over there.

We do have a local TV station that actually does local programming, a lot more in one week than CHEK does in month. This is Shaw cable. The public can have their own programs on Shaw if they want to. Jack Etkin uses his talk show on Shaw as a platform for his political view points.

Loss of both A channel and CHEK would really mean almost no changes for the people of this city. Neither station has shown any strong interest in local programming, Shaw beats both them each and every day of the week.

#43 Chris J

Chris J
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

shaw needs to get online. i havent seen a TV in years.
I get my american news from Jon Stewart, and I get my local news here.
I would love to watch Jack Etkin. I dont understand why Shaw would not have a live stream. It would not lead people to abandon their cable subscription, so I don't think they have the same excuse as the other media who are trying to get people to pay for content.
All Shaw needs is one 11 year old computer kid to get them online and they would kick ass in this town. (From what I've heard)

#44 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

shaw needs to get online. i havent seen a TV in years.
I get my american news from Jon Stewart, and I get my local news here.
I would love to watch Jack Etkin. I dont understand why Shaw would not have a live stream. It would not lead people to abandon their cable subscription, so I don't think they have the same excuse as the other media who are trying to get people to pay for content.
All Shaw needs is one 11 year old computer kid to get them online and they would kick ass in this town. (From what I've heard)

A Channel and CHEK are also not online.

Many of Jack Etkin's stuff is available on Youtube, but yes, I would love to have Shaw have a stream online. I am often on Voice of BC but never get to see the show as I have not had cable in years.

Back to my main point, local TV in Victoria is Shaw and not CHEK or A Channel.

#45 Chris J

Chris J
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

CHEKs full newscasts are available online.
But I get your point. SHAW gets ignored during the whole 'save local tv' thing.

#46 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

Back to my main point, local TV in Victoria is Shaw and not CHEK or A Channel.

Good point except Shaw isn't closing down so there's no need to save it Chris.
In chains by Keynes

#47 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

LOL I am guessing Chris's point was that we will not be without "local TV" - only without CHEK or A-Channel.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#48 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

CHEKs full newscasts are available online.
But I get your point. SHAW gets ignored during the whole 'save local tv' thing.

Interesting that CHEK is now online, a few months back they were not

I also have not seen CHEK and A Channel working with Shaw on better local TV, they have chosen to ignore the local community

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

They have been fighting with Shaw.

#50 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

They have been fighting with Shaw.

They are fighting with main local TV source and want support for themselves?

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:04 AM

They are fighting with main local TV source and want support for themselves?

Shaw took out full-page newspaper ads saying how they did not want to pay fee-for-carriage for Canwest channels.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:05 PM

Shaw says they will replace CHEK with KCPQ Seattle on the dial in September. Meanwhile, Canwest says they have not received any purchase offer from the staff group.

#53 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:42 PM

Say goodbye to CHEK, hello Fox?
Victoria bureau of Canwest closes at months end
John Ackermann VICTORIA (NEWS1130) | Tuesday, August 25th, 2009 1:47 pm

VICTORIA (NEWS1130) - Goodbye CHEK, hello KCPQ. Shaw Cable says Canwest has confirmed plans to shut down its Victoria station at the end of the month, so Lower Mainland customers will find Fox TV's Seattle affiliate KCPQ in the channel six position instead.

Jay Mehr with Shaw says the line-up decision was based mainly on ratings. "You look at the relative channel position's of folks that are movable. Fox is right at the top of the ratings and it was the most logical move for the Vancouver market."

Shaw says viewers in Greater Victoria will find KCTS, Seattle's PBS station, in the channel six position.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#54 Roger

Roger
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

There is some breaking news about CHEK on the Save CHEK News Facebook page

***********THIS JUST IN!!!!*************

News Release

A joint community-employee group at CHEK TV have submitted a bid to CanWest Global to purchase British Columbia's oldest television station. As part of the bid process, Vancouver Island investors and CHEK employees raised $ 2.5 million dollars.

"At this point we are hoping CanWest gives this bid serious consideration", said Richard Konwick, CEP President, Local 815-M. "All employees at CHEK TV have been gratified with the outpouring of support from the community. And we are hopeful."

CanWest Global is scheduled to close the station August 31st. CHEK TV is B.C.'s oldest, private, television station.

#55 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

VICTORIA (NEWS1130) - Goodbye CHEK, hello KCPQ. Shaw Cable says Canwest has confirmed plans to shut down its Victoria station at the end of the month, so Lower Mainland customers will find Fox TV's Seattle affiliate KCPQ in the channel six position instead.

Jay Mehr with Shaw says the line-up decision was based mainly on ratings. "You look at the relative channel position's of folks that are movable. Fox is right at the top of the ratings and it was the most logical move for the Vancouver market."

Shaw says viewers in Greater Victoria will find KCTS, Seattle's PBS station, in the channel six position.

#56 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

Those will be the lowest number American stations in the TV listings.

#57 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

VICTORIA (NEWS1130) - Goodbye CHEK, hello KCPQ.

Fine with me - PBS has some great programs. Interesting how they put the FOX station in the Lower Mainland line up, and PBS in greater Victoria.

#58 Roger

Roger
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

I think the news release I posted earlier tonight might mean CHEK is here to stay. $2.5M will get some attention from Canwest

#59 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

I think the news release I posted earlier tonight might mean CHEK is here to stay. $2.5M will get some attention from Canwest

What does that mean for local programming? CRTC seems to have a real problem in defining (if that is really necessary anyway) the ideal of regional and local news, events, arts and culture in an undefined and inter linked media world.

High quality investigative television news, with equally professional editorial, is a boon for any locality.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

CanWest said NO to the offer today.

I can't really blame them. Why would you want to help a potential competitor? CanWest has Vancouver assets to protect.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users