Times Colonist Online

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

Yes. Also, if Canadian retailers can't come up with a locally relevant tradition to inaugurate the holiday shopping season without ripping off the irrelevant US one (ie, irrelevant because it's not Thanksgiving here), well, that's just pathetic. They deserve all the cross-border shopping they get.

Canada does have its own .
It's called Boxing Day!

Or is it Boxing week or month

I don't really care about how retailers get their customers and know they need them to survive the thing that bothers me is the front page thing and I guess it is country wide because I just saw the Province has the same front page.

Ok then maybe I over reacted a little due to waking up in a less than stellar mood

#42 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

The front page is a full page Black Friday ad for Rogers Cell phone

This is crap for a few reasons

1 I want to see some big news ( or in the least Local News) on the front page
2 Black Friday is a US thing not a Canadian thing
3 Advertising like this belongs on an insert

Guess the TC needs the money

What the hell is wrong with them
Are there others who feel similar about this

I don't have a problem with it, especially if they only do it once in a while. I publish a (small) community magazine. It's hard to get print advertisers. This is something different and it would be attractive to some businesses.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Indeed, the entire front page is an ad for Rogers.

Down the left one inch or so is a listing of all Rogers locations... in the Lower Mainland.

None on the Island. Oh, and one in Prince George. That's sure a screw up, considering it might be a $30,000 ad.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

^

actually lol. That's rich.

Matt.

#45 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

Amazing fact #1: Controversy erupts after the TC wrongly predicted content on the cover of the TV Times.
Amazing fact #2: The cover of the TV Times is capable of creating controversy.

None on the Island. Oh, and one in Prince George. That's sure a screw up, considering it might be a $30,000 ad.

Are Rogers stores franchised? Sometimes a corporation will roll out a national campaign and a few local stores don't chip so their name isn't in it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

I don't think we have any Rogers stores on the south Island any more, do we?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

I don't think we have any Rogers stores on the south Island any more, do we?

Then why would they spend $30k on an ad?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

^I was going to say wouldn't the national chain give an advertiser a big break on a Canada-wide campaign as opposed to select cities--but then isn't the TC locally owned now? I guess they still share advertising and news content among former CanWest papers.

Truthfully, I find print advertising the least obnoxious of all types of advertising. It's easy to skip and isn't in your face or standing in the way of the content you want to see (You can skip this ad in 30 seconds" ...29...28....)
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

Then why would they spend $30k on an ad?

Beats me, but I'm sure the answer lays somewhere between this rogue ad and the TC printing the Lions on the cover of the TV Times' Grey Cup edition.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

^I know. I haven't seen this much controversy in local media since Ida Clarkson changed her theme music.

#51 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Well it's election day in Victoria so I thought I would brush up on the candidates and low and behold TC online has some details on the candidates. The first one I go to ......has a spelling error with the candidates name. Spelled one way above the picture and another way below. http://www.timescolo...7151/story.html

The bio on this candidate seemed a little goofy to me....talking about his mother being murdered and his father committing suicide. Is this the time and place for this information?

#52 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

They appear to have fixed that but left this
"Gann became president of the te nology park in 2005." :badpc:

#53 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

The bio on this candidate seemed a little goofy to me....talking about his mother being murdered and his father committing suicide. Is this the time and place for this information?

It's pretty hard to do a comprehensive bio on someone while omitting the most profound thing that happened to him--the senseless loss of his parents. If they had left that out you'd be howling about how he's glossing over his past in order to present a squeaky clean political image.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

^what? No! What relevance does the death of someone's parents have to their political abilities/inabilities and stance on issues relevant to this region? Is Gann against sewage treatment because he lost his mother? Was he pushed into the technology world because his father committed suicide?

Focus on the man's achievements and his political agenda and leave the unnecessarily personal stuff out, I says :)

Know it all.

#55 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

They appear to have fixed that but left this
"Gann became president of the te nology park in 2005." :badpc:

The good folks at the TC must keep an eye on Vibrant Victoria.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Today's online headline:

Revenue shortfall blamed for B.C.'s budget deficit ballooning to $1.5 billion

While technically accurate, it's not very imaginative or much more informative than...

Lack of money blamed for B.C.'s budget deficit ballooning to $1.5 billion

ie. it's either a revenue shortfall or extra expenses that would be to blame, there is nothing else really. And I'm sure most British Columbians know that there has not been sudden increases in unexpected expenses.

#57 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Today's online headline:

While technically accurate, it's not very imaginative or much more informative than...

ie. it's either a revenue shortfall or extra expenses that would be to blame, there is nothing else really. And I'm sure most British Columbians know that there has not been sudden increases in unexpected expenses.

Good to see that cutting travel and discretionary spending will offset the $1.4B deficit. Perhaps the seizing of corporate credit cards makes all of the difference!

#58 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Here's the letters to the editor, according to today's on-line T-C:

"[Chris] Brown off the hook in phone grab,"
"Young Eastwood is Miss Golden Globe,"
"Ex-Idol Champ to Star in The Sound of Music,"
"Katy Perry Named Woman of the Year,"

and last but not least . . .

"Use natural products for those nasty jobs."

#59 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

Online edition has not updated this story all day... I was at westside village at 1pm and saw nothing..

http://www.timescolo...6064/story.html

#60 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

Online edition has not updated this story all day... I was at westside village at 1pm and saw nothing..

http://www.timescolo...6064/story.html

CFAX did not update either. The event did happen. Generally with suicides/attempts they do not follow-up.

I think the general public would be surprised at the number of suicides, homeless deaths and overdoses in the CRD. They simply aren't reported, or don't grow legs.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users