Photo
- - - - -

Shopping Malls in Victoria and beyond

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

Poll: Best mall in Greater Victoria (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Best mall in Greater Victoria

1. Westshore Town Centre (Can West Mall) (6 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Hillside Centre (23 votes [25.56%])

Percentage of vote: 25.56%

3. Mayfair Shopping Centre (32 votes [35.56%])

Percentage of vote: 35.56%

4. Bay Centre (Downtown) (26 votes [28.89%])

Percentage of vote: 28.89%

5. Tillicum Centre (2 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

6. University Heights Shopping Centre (1 votes [1.11%])

Percentage of vote: 1.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 SpongeG

SpongeG
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:51 PM

My wife and I stopped by with some friends on the weekend and other than enjoying the Bass Pro Shop and a Lindt store with bulk bins full of Lindor chocolate balls the whole thing was pretty meh.

I have to disagree on the food fair. The seating area was bigger but the selection of outlets did not look that different than Hillside. Comparing to the limited space at Mayfair is rather selective. Two of the three sit-down restaurants were not open yet so we were stuck with Boston Pizza which was actually a very small location. Their capacity looks to more than double when they can use their patio space.

The decor was modern airport. I kept expecting boarding calls to come over the PA system and see security gates. It also seemed like half the storefronts were covered in advertising hoardings only a few of which indicated imminent occupation. The most amusing which was Starbucks. Yep, they didn't even have a Starbucks open.

Navigation wasn't bad as it was a pretty simple loop arrangement. What was annoying was at least two or three interactive kiosks were out of order. So soon after opening? Really?!

Final verdict: I'll stop at the Bass Pro Shop again but likely nothing else. My wife and her girlfriend may make a trip over via walk-on and shuttle for some Xmas shopping.

Starbucks opens in 2017, i wondered too why it is going to take so long, but perhaps starbucks limits itself to opening so many stores per business quarter?

I am moving back to the Lower mainland in december, i will miss the cowichan valley, it truly is paradise. Anyway TM is okay, the saks outlet and harry rosen are a good draw but still really expensive - $499.99 for versace sweat pants really lol. Most of the other offerings already exist elsewhere. Michael Kors outlet just opened at the airport outlet mall so its not the draw for TM anymore. When I was at TM there was a long lineup to get into Michael Kors.

I would never buy anything at Bass Pro but it is an amazing store to walk around and gawk at things.

#182 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

Monday Magazine, January 1977:

image.jpeg

Edited by Rob Randall, 15 January 2017 - 01:16 PM.

• sebberry and Jill like this

#183 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

It's almost hard to believe there were ever that many retail options at "Nootka" Court.

#184 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

I remember Marie's Lighthouse Arts. We used to buy black-and-white prints and colour them in (we were children at the time). This would have been 1979/80. Garden of Eden was in Nootka Court at that time, too, I think, across from a little ice cream place.

#185 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

What was the mall down on Government street where ICBC is now?  I remember it being a regular mall just like Mayfair etc (just smaller).  We used to stop in at the cafeteria along the windows that overlook the harbour.  

#186 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

What was the mall down on Government street where ICBC is now?  I remember it being a regular mall just like Mayfair etc (just smaller).  We used to stop in at the cafeteria along the windows that overlook the harbour.  

Harbour Square.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#187 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

Harbour Square.

This is the only thing I could find....no pics....   "Harbour Centre Mall" built in 1974 but it looks like it was "Harbour Square" as you have mentioned....

http://williamharbec...ernment-street/

Edited by On the Level, 15 January 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#188 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

Finally had an opportunity to peruse Tsawassen Mills mall as we were early for our ferry this morning on the return leg to Swartz Bay. I have to say the place is huge, far bigger than it even looks from the highway. On the other side of T-M is a new Walmart and a whole other "wing" - not sure if that is part of TM or a separate retail-mall unto itself. This being a long weekend the parking lot was jammed.

We only had 25 minutes to spare but by God the Bass Pro shop was well worth the stop. It too is huge - gotta be 80-100,000 s/f. If you're a hard core fisherman like me a couple of interesting points; first unlike the initial reports I heard their prices in fact are reasonable - very reasonable in fact; lures, rods and reels are all less expensive than my usual go-to place locally. Lures and reels especially caught my eye in terms of generally very good value for $$$....

Second they have a program where they will take back in trade older reels and depending on the make, model and age will apply their trade in value against the cost of a new reel. Quite innovative. Finally, again for the hard core fisherman, heads-up that the first two weeks of March is a huge inventory blow out sale on virtually all lures, gear and waders (hip and full body), boots etc. Based on the regular prices I saw today I would say there will be some excellent deals to be had.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 12 February 2017 - 09:23 PM.

• Street level likes this

#189 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

Although we were not worthy yesterday at Tsawwassen Mills we nonetheless ventured across the threshold into the House of the Holy - 

Attached Images

• BP.jpg

• GaryRanson likes this

#190 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

....and passed beyond to the very Gates of Heaven - 

Attached Images

• Gate to Heaven.jpg

#191 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:53 AM

Is there a gun range there?

#192 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

No gun range. The staff at the firearms counter are pretty knowledgeable and helpful for a big box store. I like that the ammo is out on the shelves where you can look at it. It's behind the counter at most places.

#193 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

Is there a gun range there?

Per Goke's response there is no gun range; what they've done here essentially is roll into one all the outdoor activities - fishing, boating & marine, camping, hunting etc - into a single shopping experience. That said in the half hour available I didn't get anywhere near through even the fishing section never mind look at anything else.

#194 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:16 AM

I'm amazed they spelled Centre right.

#195 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:24 AM

It'd be pretty sweet if they had a gun range. I believe some of them in the States do/did.

#196 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

Monday Magazine, 1977.

Trying to think back to the stores I remember.  A nice little deli on the south side, just around from where the emergency clinic is now, open well into the 80's.  I think a toy store.  Ray's Sports where Quizno's is/was.  Oh ya, the hobby shop.  We bought candle-making stuff there.  I was a big candle-maker as a kid.   

17523077_1487057621313905_53959804113248

• RoadRunner likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#197 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

...Trying to think back to the stores I remember...

You must admit it has never much resembled a shopping mall and of course today it IS mostly professional offices

mall.JPG

• tedward likes this

#198 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,032 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

Used to go to the McKenzie Mall styling group for haircuts, and a Mr Mikes, right?

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#199 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

Bring back Mr. Mikes.

#200 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:46 PM

That McKenzie Mall ad is the most desperate ad I've seen. I can just picture the poor shopkeepers hoping for customers, any customers. Even that weird candle-making kid.

It was about three or four years ago they freshened it up with that copper cladding. It's a weird complex. Go check it out some time.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users