Photo
- - - - -

Shopping Malls in Victoria and beyond

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

Poll: Best mall in Greater Victoria (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Best mall in Greater Victoria

1. Westshore Town Centre (Can West Mall) (6 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Hillside Centre (23 votes [25.56%])

Percentage of vote: 25.56%

3. Mayfair Shopping Centre (32 votes [35.56%])

Percentage of vote: 35.56%

4. Bay Centre (Downtown) (26 votes [28.89%])

Percentage of vote: 28.89%

5. Tillicum Centre (2 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

6. University Heights Shopping Centre (1 votes [1.11%])

Percentage of vote: 1.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:55 PM

I got my first pair of Andre Agassi Nikes @ Rays Sports.

Monday Magazine, 1977.

Trying to think back to the stores I remember.  A nice little deli on the south side, just around from where the emergency clinic is now, open well into the 80's.  I think a toy store.  Ray's Sports where Quizno's is/was.  Oh ya, the hobby shop.  We bought candle-making stuff there.  I was a big candle-maker as a kid.   

17523077_1487057621313905_53959804113248

Edited by Dr. Barillas, 05 April 2017 - 01:55 PM.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#202 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

...Even that weird candle-making kid...

If only it could have been foreseen what would become of that kid. Clearly the warning signs were all there.  ;)

#203 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

Bring back Mr. Mikes.

There's one in duncan, it's still great! Mike Burger!

Matt.
  • Nparker, LJ and kafkaesque like this

#204 RoadRunner

RoadRunner
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:41 PM

I remember Ray's being downtown at Douglas and Fisgard. Were there two locations?
  • Dr. Barillas likes this

#205 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

I remember Ray's being downtown at Douglas and Fisgard. Were there two locations?

Yes, I think Ray's was where Sura is now also.

• RoadRunner likes this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#206 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:29 AM

Yes, but downtown was there much longer.

• RoadRunner likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#207 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

The only really good use for that mall in my experience was the underground parkade which made for a particularly good echo chamber when lighting off lady finger fire crackers at Hallowe'en circa 1980-ish, when such things as firecrackers were still legal. Or so I've heard. Anecdotally. As told to me by a third party. Not actually experienced by me first hand. Honest. No.....really....

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#208 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

^ Oh, it was also excellent for all-weather street hockey on Sundays too.  The odd sucker would emerge from the medical clinic to find a street-hockey game all around his car.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#209 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

Pretty sure fire crackers were illegal then too. We always bought them through back channels.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#210 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

It must have been an interesting time.

#211 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

Store closings and even dead malls are nothing new, but things might be about to get a whole lot worse.

Between 20% and 25% of American malls will close within five years, according to a new report out this week from Credit Suisse.
That kind of plunge would be unprecedented in the nation's history.
The reasons are nothing new. People are shopping online more than ever, and that trend is expected to keep growing. Foot traffic at malls has been on the decline for years.

The report estimates that as malls close, online sales will grow from 17% of retail sales today to 35% by 2030.

http://money.cnn.com...alls/index.html

#212 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

Pretty sure fire crackers were illegal then too. We always bought them through back channels.

Matt.

Ya, us too.  And in seemed to have a Chinese-Canadian connection.

• Matt R. likes this

#213 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:47 AM

My daughter has purchased a few things online (couldn't find wanted item in a store) and it's been nothing but a headache getting it delivered. If you're not home when they come (and who is during the daytime on a weekday) then you are having to constantly phone and try to figure out a time. She doesn't drive so going all over the countryside to make a pickup isn't easy. We both much prefer shopping in person.

#214 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

My daughter has purchased a few things online (couldn't find wanted item in a store) and it's been nothing but a headache getting it delivered. If you're not home when they come (and who is during the daytime on a weekday) then you are having to constantly phone and try to figure out a time. She doesn't drive so going all over the countryside to make a pickup isn't easy. We both much prefer shopping in person.

You could try Canada Post's FlexDelivery service. Through them you can create a virtual address which corresponds to a post office of your choice. Use that virtual address when shopping online, and your purchases will end up at the post office corresponding to that address. I use this and it's so convenient.

• sebberry likes this

#215 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

Most deliveries to me get left by the front door if no one is home (SFH). Why don't they do that?
It's harder if you're in a apartment and the packages are larger than the package mailbox.

#216 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

UPS and FedEx, if they reach you through the intercom (which usually connects to a cellphone nowadays) can be instructed to leave parcels in the lobby or near the mail boxes. Otherwise they return the next day, and usually failing that leave a note for a pick-up at one of their pick-up locations.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#217 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

I just get my stuff shipped to work.  :/

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#218 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

UPS and FedEx, if they reach you through the intercom (which usually connects to a cellphone nowadays) can be instructed to leave parcels in the lobby or near the mail boxes. Otherwise they return the next day, and usually failing that leave a note for a pick-up at one of their pick-up locations.

Isn't FedEx's pickup point out near the airport? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#219 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

There's one in Oak Bay as well. UPS is far better, as they have multiple UPS stores and a depot in Saanich.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#220 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

UPS is far better

Until you have to receive something sent from the US.  Brokerage fees galore! 

I always try to ship USPS from the US.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users