Photo
- - - - -

Shopping Malls in Victoria and beyond

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

Poll: Best mall in Greater Victoria (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Best mall in Greater Victoria

1. Westshore Town Centre (Can West Mall) (6 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Hillside Centre (23 votes [25.56%])

Percentage of vote: 25.56%

3. Mayfair Shopping Centre (32 votes [35.56%])

Percentage of vote: 35.56%

4. Bay Centre (Downtown) (26 votes [28.89%])

Percentage of vote: 28.89%

5. Tillicum Centre (2 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

6. University Heights Shopping Centre (1 votes [1.11%])

Percentage of vote: 1.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:11 AM

A coworker was giving me heck the other day for buying things on Amazon.  Not supporting local business, shrinking tax base, etc...

My Kenmore vacuum finally packed it in after nearly 15 years.  Funny noise, bad smell.  Now a vacuum isn't something I want to go without for too long, seems like a perfectly good thing to buy locally. Thought about another Kenmore as I quite liked the design and ergonomics of it, but Panasonic no longer makes them as they sold off all their production equipment to a Chinese company. 

I had made up my mind that a Dyson was not to be on the list.  So I had a look at the website for All Victoria Vacuums for a Miele after hearing their ads on CFAX.   Now buying a Miele requires a bit of planning, again, something a small business should be able to help with perfectly.  If you get the wrong options, you end up with a vacuum without electrical wires through the hose as not all of them come with a powered brush. 

So back to All Victoria's website - I found the Miele section, but the product titles were linking to the wrong descriptions, so I couldn't determine the configuration or the price.  Who knows if they even had it in stock or if I'd be ordering and waiting.  No idea. 

Oddly, I figured Amazon might have something to look at.  Sure enough, the Miele C2 Compact Cat & Dog model with electric power brush was right there, sale priced and in stock.  What about that "I need it soon" issue?  Free trial of Amazon Prime and they air-shipped the vacuum from Ontario for the grand price of $0.00.  Got it at work two days later.  I just ordered some more bags for it, again, from Amazon with free shipping.  They'll show up at work in a couple of days. 

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#222 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

Why not Dyson?

And this is a good example of why shopping online sometimes makes more sense than going local: options.

#223 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

Malls suck. Such disasters to get in and out of and 95% of the stores are irrelevant for me. Also if you bike there your bike will be gone when you get back outside.

I'd rather shop around downtown or even at a strip mall.
  • tedward likes this

#224 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Why not Dyson?

And this is a good example of why shopping online sometimes makes more sense than going local: options.

Dysons, while good performers often aren't reliable or durable.

Malls suck. Such disasters to get in and out of and 95% of the stores are irrelevant for me. Also if you bike there your bike will be gone when you get back outside.

I'd rather shop around downtown or even at a strip mall.

I have no issues with getting in or out of malls.  And I haven't had my car stolen from a mall parking lot, yet.  And yes, most of the stores are irrelevant to me as well.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#225 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

Word in globeandmail is that Sears is entering bankrupcy protection in the next few weeks and is headed to liquidation.

Is the space at hillside mall big enough for an Ikea and Tesla?
  • VicHockeyFan likes this
"I know nothing"

#226 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Movie theatres and bowling alley?

• Rob Randall likes this

#227 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

Le Maison Simmons?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#228 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

Re: Sears, even though the Hillside location isn't on the closure list, I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual closure results in residential redevelopment along North Dairy Road. It's difficult to find tenants for such large spaces, especially in the more suburban malls. The old Sears here is Richmond is being torn down and will be replaced by three residential towers on a commercial podium. The mall developer is even punching through a couple new streets!

• Rob Randall likes this

#229 Greysangel

Greysangel
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

I was in Sears the other day. It looked like a hurricane hit. Very sad to see.

#230 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

I was in Sears the other day. It looked like a hurricane hit. Very sad to see.

What will probably save Sears is to change the name to Simpson-Sears and bring out a catalog. 

Edited by Bingo, 08 October 2017 - 06:33 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#231 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

Or maybe you're just passing the Roebuck.

• VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this

#232 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:39 PM

You are a real pun craftsman today.

Matt.

#233 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:44 PM

Only Ken has had More puns in one day.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#234 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

My dads name was Ken, he worked at Sears for many years! (True story)

Matt.

#235 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:00 PM

Ken that really be a true story? I bought a few appliances from a Ken over the years. I may tag his business card on FB to see who else remembers him.

#236 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:35 AM

Only Ken has had More puns in one day.

Yes he is quite a crafts man.

#237 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

Ken sold hardware for many years, went into real estate later on (Ocean City) and went back to Sears part time in retirement. I remember the hardware department in particular had many many of the same faces for decades. They used to treat their staff very well, hosted the best summertime parties and family Christmas parties. People must have loved it based on how long they stayed!

Matt.

#238 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

Check out Sears Canada on Facebook and all appears well as young, cheerful models promote down vests for fall and skinny jeans.

But behind the hip outfits hides a troubled retailer whose days may be numbered.

"Sears is doomed," says Mark Cohen, who served as Sears Canada's CEO from 2001 to 2004.

"The company is toast. It's gone. It's not coming back."

For starters, Sears Canada is hemorrhaging money and could begin a total liquidation of the business this month if the only bid to buy the beleaguered retailer falls through.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ranzl-1.4330834

Laid-off Sears Canada workers say the hardship fund set up to help them is pointless because any payout counts as income, so it's deducted from their employment insurance benefits.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-fund-1.4344334

#239 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

An Ontario Superior Court judge has approved a request by Sears Canada to liquidate all of its remaining stores.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ities-1.4353011

#240 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

I am hoping for another discount clothing store, maybe Nordstrom Rack? 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users