BUILT
Hudson Place One
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 777 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 25
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Hudson Place One is a 25-storey, 176-suite mixed-use condominium tower with ground floor commercial space at d... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson Place One on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hudson Place One | Condos; commercial | 25-storeys | Built - Completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
1676 replies to this topic

#561 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

SAD!

#562 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

Come on Council!  I am sure you can get this down to < 20 stories if you try really hard.

#563 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

Come on Council!  I am sure you can get this down to < 20 stories if you try really hard.

Hopefully not since the current approval is for 24 floors.

#564 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:57 PM

I can confirm Townline has opted to reduce the height to 25-floors. There will be a variance requirement to permit rooftop decks on what would essentially be considered a 26th floor. There will be a press release issued early next week with additional details.

My sense is the civic process required for the additional 29-storey version was becoming a little too complicated, so Townline decided to fall back to its original plan.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#565 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

Alas, I thought this project might be the "one" catalyst project that would reach a legitimately respectable height and usher in a new era for development downtown. But 25 storeys ain't it
  • Nparker likes this

#566 TheInterior

TheInterior
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

Swinging and missing is better than striking out without swinging at all. Townline made a valiant attempt, which brought a lot of attention to their build. At 25 stories, Hudson 1 will dwarf many buildings in the downtown core. In 2020, Hudson 1 will cast its shadow over Victoria, and plant a slightly larger seed in developer's heads. The surrounding buildings will be sold off, council will agree to a height of LAST BUILD + 1 floor, and the city of Langford will look up into the sky and say, "ain't that cloud city beautiful."

In 2035, Hudson 1 will be the smallest building in downtown Victoria, which Townline will take full advantage of by asking City Council for permission to rebuild at a height of 89 floors. Council will reaffirm their position on maintaining downtown's integrity by replying with "85 floors only mister!"

• RFS, grantpalin and DavidSchell like this

#567 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

Meh, 5 years ago we would have killed for a 25 storey building downtown. I'm disappointed that we won't get 30 *yet*, but I'm very excited for Townline to finish 'the Hudson District' sooner rather than later. 

#568 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

This “dream” has been alive since 2006. It’s exciting that 11 years later it’ll actually materialize :)
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#569 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

It's a dream that for a while there looked like it was going to be stuck as a crappy parkade for the rest of my life. 

#570 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

My sense is the civic process required for the additional 29-storey version was becoming a little too complicated, so Townline decided to fall back to its original plan.

I'll be honest I don't really know the first thing about building skyscrapers (shocker).  But aside from impact on a skyline and the variance required to already established maximum heights/densities through zoning or other type of planning, are there other considerations that make this "too complicated"?

#571 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

Politics!
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#572 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

Politics!

Sigh.... :(

#573 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

Yup.

But it’s all good. Townline just wants to move forward and they’ll still deliver a landmark building with a 25-storey design.

And when the sky doesn’t fall after the tower’s completion and the completion of the next Bayview tower, the height phobia issue will be further eroded.
  • grantpalin likes this

Know it all.

#574 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

I just hope they remove levels from somewhere in the middle rather than off the top.

post-96-0-75377400-1505194459.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#575 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

I've travelled to a lot of places in Europe and a lot of cities do a great job of integrating old with new.  Vienna is one of my favorite cities with so many awesome examples.

St. Stephens square you have a 900-year-old cathedral and modern buildings so close you could throw a rock from one to the other. Yet, it somehow all works.

Here we get caught up on a few stories of height or those two falling apart boxes next to the bridge.  

stephansplatz-2.jpg

• Nparker and lanforod like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#576 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

Having just spent time walking through areas of the financial district in London, now full of skyscrapers dwarfing the churches where my ancestors were baptized and married, I felt it was a very unpleasant experience. Very little sky to be seen, not much sun and a complete feeling of being enclosed. One church was right at the base of the Gherkin and could barely be seen. I was happy to be walking along the river with a bit more space around me.

#577 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:13 PM

Having just spent time walking through areas of the financial district in London, now full of skyscrapers ...I felt it was a very unpleasant experience...

At the current rate of skyscraper (LOL) builds in Victoria, it should be several millennia before you experience anything so terrible here.

• DavidSchell likes this

#578 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:47 AM

... Any news yet

#579 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

... Any news yet

No news on Council dates, but the proposal has been scaled back to 25 storeys with a rooftop deck. No revised drawings available that I know of.

#580 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

If this building ends up being 25 stories but with a perfectly flat top as some sort of twisted compromise then I might just check myself in to VV's rubber room.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users