• 2,172 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

Opening on CRD's Water Advisory Committee, deadline to apply 4 Nov. Details:

:)

#782 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

I was going to apply but the meetings are too early in the morning for me.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#783 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

I was going to apply but all I really have in the way of expertise is my 47,345 posts here.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 October 2017 - 08:42 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#784 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

I was going to apply but all I really have in the way of expertise is my 47,346 posts here.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#785 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

I was going to apply but all I really have in the way of expertise is my 47,346 posts here.

Until you become a senior you really don't know squat about water works advice.

#786 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

At least the cross-contamination wasn't sewage going into drinking water pipes!

"Esquimalt crews pinpoint source of Gorge Creek contamination":

#787 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

Just a reminder that while the short public tours of Sooke Reservoir watershed is happening this week, there are more public tours - long and short - coming up through month of June. Details: https://www.crd.bc.c...watershed-tours Also, CRD just posted Request for Quotation to demolish Goldstream Lake caretaker cabin as well as a small storage shed at Japan Gulch: https://www.crd.bc.c...ter-supply-area The caretaker cabin looks interesting - historical sort of thing. Imagine spending a snowy winter there around 1910 or so? 

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2018-05-02 at 14.22.32.png
  • Screenshot 2018-05-02 at 14.22.01.png

#788 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

CRD calling for air detection services for the three major reservoir watershed areas. Interesting that Scope of Work includes "Observations of other suspicious activities in the Patrol Area shall be reported also...." and the contract goes to March 2019. Seems that after the summer drought season ends mid-September, the aircraft patrols will be mostly looking at the "other suspicious activities" until the end of the contract next March. The flight route skirts the fenced/gated Sooke and Goldstream water supply areas but does a loop through the Leech perhaps because access can't be denied easily and those "other suspicious activities" are expected to be more probable.

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2018-05-15 at 13.33.31.png
  • Screenshot 2018-05-15 at 13.29.39.png

#789 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

^ Why does the aircraft have to enter and exit the area from the NE?  

#790 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

^ Why does the aircraft have to enter and exit the area from the NE?  

Probably an assumption that the aircraft will be departing from YYJ

#791 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:28 PM

Sounds like a job a decent drone(s) could do.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 May 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#792 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

Sounds like a job a decent drone(s) could do.

Get that modern thinking out of here!  :thumbsup:

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#793 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

Related info from the CRD's Invitation To Quote, including the image below of flight frequencies depending on fire conditions:

6 FLIGHT ROUTE AND PATROL AREA 

Attachment 1 shows the designated patrol route over the Patrol Area, assuming flights originate from Victoria International Airport. Following award of the contract, orientation flight(s) will be held with CRD staff  to  familiarize  pilots  and  spotters  to  the  route,  watershed  boundaries,  range  in  latitude  and  longitude  and  easily  identified  and  commonly  known  landmarks  to  ensure  accurate  and  meaningful  location reports. Patrol aircraft should fly at altitudes of 760 – 920 metres (2500 – 3000 ft) while over the Patrol Area. 

From Victoria International Airport, flights of the patrol route with a Cessna 172 required approximately 50 - 60 minutes to complete. This included time required for taxiing to the designated runway, takeoff, landing and taxiing to the terminal. This estimate does not include consideration of time required for pre-flight preparation or post-flight activities for the aircraft and/or crews.

The majority of flights will take place along the designated patrol route during times of High (DMC 41 – 90 or greater) and Extreme Fire Danger Class as set in the schedule outlined in Section 2.4, however alternate  routes  and  times  may  be  specified  following  events  such  as  lightning  storms.  In  these  instances, the CRD Representative will provide the Contractor with latitude and longitude coordinates and/or maps showing locations of possible lightning strikes and other details prior to the flight.

The Contractor will be expected to report all fires, smoke or other suspicious activity in the Patrol Area. Fires/smoke visible outside of the Patrol Area shall also be reported.

Following a report of a fire or other significant event or incident, the CRD Representative may request that the Contactor circle the area in order to provide updates on fire behavior and assist ground crews in locating the fire or incident. (page 16)

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2018-05-15 at 17.52.53.png

Edited by JohnN, 15 May 2018 - 04:56 PM.

#794 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

Looks like our reservoirs are in good shape and are still slightly higher than the 5 year average.

https://www.crd.bc.c...vrsn=c00de3ca_4

• sebberry and grantpalin like this

#795 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:18 AM

this has been an interesting series.

https://www.vicnews....wers-for-water/

at the end of the day if you live rural you might have to use well and rainwater or bulk delivery for some of your supply.  that seems fine really.

it's time some places separated their supply systems.  there is a very large difference between water quality needed between:

• drinking and cooking
  • irrigation for lawns and gardens
  • washing clothes
  • baths and showers
  • washing other domestic items other than dishes
  • car washing

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2020 - 05:18 AM.

#796 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:21 AM

You guys all laughed about my cistern idea back in the day, but that’s one of the key recommendations today.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#797 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 12:58 PM

Master Plan Update, Regional Water Supply Service

Excerpt

The CRD invites Proposals for the Master Plan Update, Regional Water Supply Service, and in addition, three specific studies related to Deep Northern Intake, Transmission and Treatment Study, Supply System Risk and Resilience Study and Seismic Assessment of Critical Facilities Study (Phase 1), totaling four deliverables.

https://www.crd.bc.c...lan-update-rwss

#798 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:07 PM

I think this contract proposal for a report on the CRD water supply might be more interesting than it appears at first glance.

Basically, the CRD is looking for experts to tell them how to improve the resilience and reliability of  Sooke Lake drinking water reservoir system, in the face of vulnerabilities that are becoming evident but others that are not yet apparent.

Climate change may be a big factor as well as increases in water demand that may be causing some anxiety amongst CRD water planners. I'm just guessing that there may be more to this. 

Not sure if I can upload the CRD contract Appendix A to VV but I've put it on Facebook at: https://www.facebook...992735644525439

The sections of Appendix A that caught my eye are: 
Study 1 - Deep Northern Intake, Transmission and Treatment Study (page 14) and
Study 2 - Supply System Risk and Resilience Study (page 15).

CRD are asking now about feasibility of running a big pipe to the north, deep end of the reservoir (image of reservoir cross-section below) but back in 2001, CRD also proposed the big pipe+big pump in worse case scenario for the extreme drought that year (image below of that discussion on page 11 of the 2001 drought plan

Lucky, we got rains before that but CRD did blow up the old short dam at south end in order to drain the dregs if need be. 

The 2001 CRD drought plan document: https://www.crd.bc.c...f/stage3798.pdf

Anyway, I think something might be going on but haven't read through the Regional Water Commission minutes to see if there might be a hint there of a big issue or not. 

Attached Images

• sooke reservoir cross section.png
  • Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 15.53.43.png

• Mike K. and Linear Thinker like this

#799 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:26 AM

Listen to Green candidate at 59.0 https://youtu.be/Luuxu2sTLkE. Gord Baird - he is also the vice chair of CRD water supply and he states a one billion dollar PLUS upgrade is needed to address the threat higher water temps in our reservoir present among other water issues. 

#800 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:38 AM

Put the million into an expansion.

I was talking to friends who live part of the year in Arizona and they said their water costs a fraction of what it does here.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users