Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#2241 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:39 PM

Have two or three "reserved for carshare" spots in the parkades.

Driver still has to pay for the time in the parkade.

Same as the electric vehicle only spaces.

#2242 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:33 PM

^But make them on the top floor.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2243 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

They are doing some soil testing/drilling of some kind in the Robbins parking lot that runs between the 800-block of Yates and Johnson. Sings are up stating the closure of the lot today and Monday. Another surface lot soon to be lost...?

Round 2. This lot is closed again today and tomorrow for some more drilling. Not checking of the existing observation boreholes, but actual drilling of new ones.

As a side note, a few cars that normally park in this lot obviously relocated to the Robbins lot on the 900-block of Fort/View. That lot has a weird layout, with two rows of normal parking and then parallel parking along the east edge of the lot. Well, some rookies to this lot were parking normally against that eastern edge, so the lot is a mess today. Robbins staff were in full force ticketing. Kind of a shame really. They close one lot forcing folks to use this one, a lot that has painted lines that are at the last 1% of visibility and they're still ticketing. If you didn't use this lot normally, you wouldn't have a clue how to park in it either. Bit of a douche move.

Edited by shoeflack, 18 August 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#2244 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:22 AM

Bit of a douche move.

You expected better from Robbins?
  • Marilyn and shoeflack like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2245 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:18 AM

Round 2. This lot is closed again today and tomorrow for some more drilling. Not checking of the existing observation boreholes, but actual drilling of new ones.

As a side note, a few cars that normally park in this lot obviously relocated to the Robbins lot on the 900-block of Fort/View. That lot has a weird layout, with two rows of normal parking and then parallel parking along the east edge of the lot. Well, some rookies to this lot were parking normally against that eastern edge, so the lot is a mess today. Robbins staff were in full force ticketing. Kind of a shame really. They close one lot forcing folks to use this one, a lot that has painted lines that are at the last 1% of visibility and they're still ticketing. If you didn't use this lot normally, you wouldn't have a clue how to park in it either. Bit of a douche move.

Could it be they are prepping this for sale?  The fire exit being removed next door must mean something.  Does anyone know who owns this lot?

• Mr Cook Street likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:41 AM

I wonder if this Chard's next move. In an email exchange yesterday he did mention something was afoot.

Meanwhile the crew working on Escher is aware that their firm will be handling a project north AND south of Escher, but they don't have any details.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2247 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:09 PM

https://www.facebook...251808781505458

I pay $185/month on parking Robbins Parking Lot 70 beside Lunds Auction House . 4 Morons have blocked the side of the entrance of the parking lot. Who taught these people to park? Any comments? ‪#‎yyj‬‪#‎victoria‬

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2248 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

So whatever they did last week at the Yates parking lot, sure was messy.

File_000 (32).jpeg File_001 (19).jpeg File_004 (9).jpeg File_002 (18).jpeg File_003 (14).jpeg File_005 (6).jpeg

#2249 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

Who wants to bet Chard might have something going on here?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2250 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

Who wants to bet Chard might have something going on here?

I sure hope so. 

#2251 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:58 PM

All I ask is:

a) not a widescraper, and

b) a decent amount of glass coverage

I'm not feeling it with the one they're building on the other side of Yates.

#2252 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

Whatever they build here will be across the street from the new as yet unnamed homeless shelter so there's that

#2253 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

So why doesn't the city have a developer build a floor or two of underground parking, the city will own it but allow the owner full lease and income rights for x number of years to replace some of this parking thats disappearing?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2254 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

Sometime during last night a vehicle backed into the lead car and made a SUV sandwich.

The cars have dew on them confirming they had been parked there during the night.

This is on Mason Street next to the smoke spewing Wildfire Bakery

The welfare office was supplying video recordings of the area to help identify the offending vehicle however the recording only covers from the SUV towards Quadra.

#2255 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:33 AM

Welcome to the Why You Need a Dashcam show...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2256 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:45 AM

So why doesn't the city have a developer build a floor or two of underground parking, the city will own it but allow the owner full lease and income rights for x number of years to replace some of this parking thats disappearing?

If it makes sense at the private level then go for it.

However if it's publicly mandated this is a parking subsidy funded either by increased costs to the condo purchaser (exacerbating the affordable housing problem) or additional costs to the city (increasing taxes, again exacerbating the affordable housing problem).

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#2257 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:51 AM

While I was checking out this SUV sandwich a jerkwad in a delivery truck pulls up and since there were no parking spots at the curb for his truck he decided to park his truck in the middle of the road and block a parked car and a lane of he road then proceeded to off-load the bakery supplies with his pallet jack and giving exactly zero F*cks about anyone else on the road

This R&B Trucking firm is notorious for employing idiot drivers.

Before I decided to film the scene a COV ticket scooter guy drove past and he too gave exactly zero F*cks about the truck blocking the road.

Lisa Helps would be all over it if it were a bike lane that was blocked but when it comes to commercial delivery vehicles its a free for all while regular everyday drivers are handed tickets like they are Halloween candy

The driver asked me later why I filmed his truck and him....that question proving beyond a reasonable doubt that he is clueless

http://youtu.be/K3S9dyT57Gk

Edited by HB, 18 October 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#2258 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:55 AM

Seems fine to me there's still room to get around.

• weirdie and Bingo like this

#2259 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

^^A minor inconvenience. Like nagel says, enough room to maneuver around. This is the price we pay for the benefit of having a place to grab a coffee and snack every 100 metres.

I've been to Paris, Bangkok, Rome and Manhattan and if you showed this video to them they'd say, why is your downtown street so quiet and deserted in the morning? 

• Baro likes this

#2260 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:25 AM

There's someone in that video blocking traffic and being a nuisance, and it isn't the delivery driver.
  • Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users