Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#2341 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:19 AM

Who's our parkade history expert? The first two elevated parkades were both non-city parkades, no? I'm talking about the HBC and the Broughton Street (popularly known as "Eaton's") parkade.

#2342 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:21 AM

Apparently Rob Randall is our parkade history expert.

Not to be confused with our parking garage history expert.

#2343 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,833 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:26 AM

Parkade always gets flagged by spell-checkers. It's a total "Canadianism".

Capture.JPG

Edited by Nparker, 30 November 2016 - 10:27 AM.

#2344 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:34 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the current CoV is delighted that the city has run out of parking spots. In their minds this will simply mean containing the number of vehicles downtown, which makes it easier to convert roadways into pedestrian and bike lanes.
  • Daveyboy likes this

#2345 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:26 PM

Online shopping and free parking at malls is already helping people beat the downtown parking problem.

I think online parking is next. Pick a numbered spot in any downtown through the " PARK AID" website for the time you require it.

PARK AID tow trucks will clear your space and make it available at the designated time.

Towed vehicles will be processed by the onsite crusher and sent to the PARK AID recycling depot on David Street.     

• Nparker likes this

#2346 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:10 AM

Me: "Won't people just stop going to Victoria and instead go elsewhere if you make it difficult for them to go shopping....like the Westshore?"

CoV: "Westshore....who is this?  Tell me more about this Westshore"

Westshore?! Replace parking issues with traffic ones - it took me what seemed like 3 lifetimes to get from Bellamy Road along Millstream onto the highway last Saturday..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2347 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:31 AM

Thats because you didnt cut through the Millstream market Parking lot.....or perhaps you did?

#2348 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:35 AM

There's a parking garage for shoppers at that bizarre James Bay shopping Centre with the Thrifty's.

Hudson also has a partially public parkade under Mews for shoppers, and Hudson Walk One has quite a number of commercial spaces on the first level of the parkade.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2349 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

Here's a new public parking project in Kelowna.  By my calculations that's $20,000 a space.  I'm going to bet the library spaces are free too.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page4036.aspx

#2350 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:25 AM

Another one, with some basic funding details.  They're going to use event revenue to make up part of the shortfall.

http://www.kamloops....AQsBrochure.pdf

Cost appears to be nearly 23K per spot.

#2351 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:39 AM

One of the issues with digging deeper for parkades is cost drastically rises. What we need to do is allow the developer to build several levels of underground parking and several levels of (much less expensive) above ground parking. This means residential levels will start at the fourth floor, let's say, and that's also something a developer could take to the bank.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2352 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

One of the issues with digging deeper for parkades is cost drastically rises. What we need to do is allow the developer to build several levels of underground parking and several levels of (much less expensive) above ground parking. This means residential levels will start at the fourth floor, let's say, and that's also something a developer could take to the bank.

Is this something developers are asking for, or only in regards to meeting any minimum parking requirements?

#2353 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

What we need to do is allow the developer to build several levels of underground parking and several levels of (much less expensive) above ground parking. This means residential levels will start at the fourth floor, let's say, and that's also something a developer could take to the bank.

I've seen this in other places around the world, like Australia. First 4 floors of a building are a parkade with a nice facade then office or residential above. Depending on location, first floor could be commercial or more parking.

#2354 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

Podium parking levels tend to look lousy. I'm not saying it couldn't work as a one-off in the right location or maybe as a strategy to enable the replacement of an especially unattractive parkade like the one on Johnson, but it's not the sort of thing that you'd ever want to become a trend.

#2355 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

Actually, I don't mind this way of doing it quite so much, whereby the parking levels are bookended by occupied levels. Methinks something like that might actually work on the right site.

Remind me, didn't we discover a while back that the Johnson Street parkade was one of the properties where the city said an exceptional height could be allowed? Wasn't there a map that colour-coded properties all over town? Maybe part of the downtown plan stuff? I can't remember.

Edited by aastra, 01 December 2016 - 10:31 AM.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#2356 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:12 AM

Is this something developers are asking for, or only in regards to meeting any minimum parking requirements?

No, developers are too busy trying to justify every single level above ground to want to risk losing valuable residential or commercial space to parkades. This would need to be something the City championed, and something they created design guidelines for. Some parkade structures can actually look quite amazing, providing the facade is designed to a high standard.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.

#2357 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

Downtown Victoria on track to lose 1,500 public parking stalls by 2020

http://victoria.citi...stalls-by-2020/

Approximately 900 publicly accessible, full-time parking stalls have been lost to redevelopment efforts in downtown Victoria since 2010, according to data compiled by Citified.

As surface lots continue to be transformed into residential and commercial buildings, the downtown core’s net loss of public parking stalls could jump as high as 1,500 by 2020, and officials at City Hall appear to have no plan in place to reverse that trend.

Downtown merchant Sasha Applegate, manager and soon-to-be owner of View Street’s The Cobbler shoe store, says her discussions with the City of Victoria’s parking department confirm the City’s solution to the problem is not what merchants, shoppers or workers want to hear.

“I had a chance to speak with the manger of parking at the City of Victoria, and I was told the way to address congestion at parkades and declining stall capacity is higher rates,” Appleton said.

“We’re not only losing parking capacity in downtown Victoria, we’re now going to have to tell our customers that once they find a spot, they’ll have to pay more to use it.” [Full article]

Know it all.

#2358 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:48 PM

Downtown Victoria on track to lose 1,500 public parking stalls by 2020

http://victoria.citi...stalls-by-2020/

Approximately 900 publicly accessible, full-time parking stalls have been lost to redevelopment efforts in downtown Victoria since 2010, according to data compiled by Citified.

As surface lots continue to be transformed into residential and commercial buildings, the downtown core’s net loss of public parking stalls could jump as high as 1,500 by 2020,

and officials at City Hall appear to have no plan in place to reverse that trend.

To bad the next election isn't until 2018, as the lack of parking will become more serious than rebuilding a swimming pool.

I think some of these issues can also be redirected to the 2018 Election thread as well as remaining here.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#2359 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

Huge new aquatic centres require parking. Might be time to add a level on the arena lot.

• VicHockeyFan, Bingo and Midnightly like this

#2360 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,833 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

Huge new aquatic centres require parking. Might be time to add a level on the arena lot.

It was VERY poor planning to not include additional onsite parking when SOFMC was built. Cheap, cheap cheap.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users