Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#2801 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:47 AM

I thought there was a mention of considering Sunday not being free.

#2802 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

That's political suicide, but it's a good idea.  Even downtown restaurateur (with no parking lot) Shelly Gudgeon thinks it should happen.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2803 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

Think of the downtown church goers.

#2804 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

They can park in parkades for free. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2805 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

Or just pray to their gods that free parking will miraculously appear.

#2806 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

Correct the report says parkades would remain free.

#2807 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

Personally I'd bring this in in early 2019 after the election.

#2808 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

That's political suicide, but it's a good idea.  Even downtown restaurateur (with no parking lot) Shelly Gudgeon thinks it should happen.

The city should introduce Get out of parking lot FREE cards.

• Mike K. likes this

#2809 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

There's a reason why the only good part of Monopoly is landing on free parking.  Everyone loves free parking.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2810 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

Just make Sunday street parking pay, already.  And for the first 4 weeks, place signs on the little poles each week, reminding people to go to parkades.  Do not enforce any tickets for the first 4 weeks, but place a courtesy reminder on all cars that are parked at expired or unpaid meters, explaining how parkades are still free all day Sunday.

I think it's pretty easy really.

Heck, I already said on here, I know a guy that works nights in town, and parks his electric car.  He does not pay for parking, nor does he pay for his gas (electricity), and he lives in Metchosin, so the savings are decent.

• thundergun and nerka like this

#2811 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:42 AM

There's a reason why the only good part of Monopoly is landing on free parking.  Everyone loves free parking.

If one is playing Monopoly by the original 1934 rules a player landing on Free Parking does not receive

any money, property or reward of any kind. This is just a “free” resting place.

#2812 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

^ True, that.  And also if you do not buy an un-owned property after landing on it, it goes to immediate auction.

• Nparker likes this

#2813 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

And if you play it by those rules the game sucks even worse.  It's one of the worst board games ever created, despite its status as the king of board games.  Where's the social justice in the bank getting all the tax and fine revenue?  

There are a lot better games to spend an evening with friends.

#2814 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

There is a business element associated with the CoV that I am not sure they fully comprehend.

You are trying to attract more than pot shops within the city limits, then perhaps there is more to it than "subsidized" commuter parking.

You already have Stew Young in discussions with the province over moving government staff into new commercial space in Langford.

Changing commuter behaviour through punishment may have unintended consequences.

#2815 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

... It's one of the worst board games ever created, despite its status as the king of board games...

That's a matter of opinion of course. There has to be some reason why there are literally hundreds of versions of the game in existence (if not more) and that it is still in production after more than 80 years.

#2816 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

And the railways, even the inventors of the game knew that there needed to be railways to service a community.

• Nparker likes this

#2817 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

^ True, that.  And also if you do not buy an un-owned property after landing on it, it goes to immediate auction.

Another rule from 1999 " made by me the last time I played is if you start losing and the game starts pissing you off It OK to flip the board in the air sending everything flying across the room and say Fck -It Games over.

I hate that game.

• nagel likes this

#2818 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

Another rule from 1999 " made by me the last time I played is if you start losing and the game starts pissing you off It OK to flip the board in the air sending everything flying across the room ...

1999? I "invented" that rule at about age 6 when someone else bested me on the purchase of Boardwalk & Park Place. I showed them though; I live at Park Place today!

#2819 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

1999? I "invented" that rule at about age 6 when someone else bested me on the purchase of Boardwalk & Park Place. I showed them though; I live at Park Place today!

Ha, I used to live at the Boardwalk though!  (Same guy build both our places, Nparker).  In fact, I've been in your suite.  The third Monopoly piece name he built is down on Wark.  St. James Plc.

#2820 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

And if you play it by those rules the game sucks even worse.  It's one of the worst board games ever created, despite its status as the king of board games.  Where's the social justice in the bank getting all the tax and fine revenue?  

There are a lot better games to spend an evening with friends.

Yeah, but you can get hurt playing Twister.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)