Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5613 replies to this topic

#2841 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

It makes sense if the parkade is part of a larger commercial building.   Dig down a few levels and have 2 levels above ground then put 4-6 floors of office on top of that.

Why does it have to be commercial?  Would anyone object to a 10-floor condo behind the arena?  You do that and the developer picks up the whole cost of the parking facility.  Why are we unable or unwillingly to think along these lines?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2842 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:53 AM

...Dig down a few levels and have 2 levels above ground then put 4-6 floors of office on top of that.

And then 10 floors of housing over the office levels.

#2843 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

I don't think there is enough profit to attract the private sector for a parkade.

If you limit the analysis to only the parkade, you miss the larger picture. A good example is the subsidy cost of the northern ferry route that was cut. The bc gov saved the subsidy cost at a greater cost in lost tax revenue that would have been received from tourism etc. Penny wise and pound foolish.

#2844 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

I don't think there is enough profit to attract the private sector for a parkade.

You give a developer free land, and the ability to go 10 floors.  The only proviso is that he builds 5 floors of parking for the public.  He gets the parking rents, and can sell the condos or rent the apartments.  I think that works.  In fact I think living in a 10- or 15-floor building behind the arena, across from the park and a rec centre is very desirable.

Another place we could have a lot is beside RAP.  It will not fetch as high a parking rent though.  We could have a parkade that spans the White Spot and former Sopranos parking lot.   There would be lots of demand for that.

2 lots on Quadra between North Park and Caledonia get $130/mo. for Robbins, and they are both full.

• Nparker and Bernard like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2845 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

I predict that by 2027 downtown parking will be $798 per month, plus $26.95 per day to charge your vehicle.

#2846 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

There absolutely could be if the city said we'll approve rezoning to 30 stories and a 10:1 density if you provide 200 public parking stalls in your building.

There would obviously be costs incurred by a developer in providing that public parking, but their condos would be more valuable with that perpetual parking revenue attached to the strata and they would be able to sell more condos than current zoning allows for.

#2847 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

You give a developer free land, and the ability to go 10 floors.  The only proviso is that he builds 5 floors of parking for the public.  He gets the parking rents, and can sell the condos or rent the apartments.  I think that works.  In fact I think living in a 10- or 15-floor building behind the arena, across from the park and a rec centre is very desirable.

Another place we could have a lot is beside RAP.  It will not fetch as high a parking rent though.  We could have a parkade that spans the White Spot and former Sopranos parking lot.   There would be lots of demand for that.

2 lots on Quadra between North Park and Caledonia get $130/mo. for Robbins, and they are both full.

Personally I would love to see the city sell all the parkades with the proviso that the people buying the parkades have to increase the total parking available when they redevelop the site.

The private sector would be much better at setting market rates for parking.    If the rates are too high the businesses downtown could offer their shoppers vouchers for free parking.   I really do not think it is the job of government provide parking for private businesses

• jonny likes this

#2848 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

...2 lots on Quadra between North Park and Caledonia get $130/mo. for Robbins, and they are both full.

Does Glad Tidings see none of this revenue?

#2849 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:36 AM

Personally I would love to see the city sell all the parkades with the proviso that the people buying the parkades have to increase the total parking available when they redevelop the site.

The private sector would be much better at setting market rates for parking. If the rates are too high the businesses downtown could offer their shoppers vouchers for free parking. I really do not think it is the job of government provide parking for private businesses

As long as government exists because of private business, it is their job to do private business' bidding.

And the whole voucher idea is small-town thinking. Forget the voucher, just manage the parking supply effectively enough where you don't need to hand people Saltspring Dollars as a gimmick.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2850 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

Does Glad Tidings see none of this revenue?

If it is their lot of course they do.

#2851 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

I am not sure that Robbins owns any properties used as parking lots. i think they are just a contractor that enforces parking and collects revenue for the owners of the lands

#2852 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

Government is in the business to provide infrastructure and services to their clients, the residents and taxpayers of the area they serve. It would be in their best interests to make efforts to assure a successful local economy. 

We all know there is a 'hate-on' for vehicles being 'stored' on 'public' roads by certain vocal members of society. Well we have a choice, ban all personal vehicles and while we are at it single family homes with unused bedrooms. We all know thats not going to happen no matter how shrill and angry certain groups become.

The reasonable response is to provide adequate off street rotational storage of vehicles for a reasonable fee. Companies such as Robins Parking and Impark etc manage to make a business model out of it, so why not engage and consider a P3 model like the Arena and invite suggestions from the folks that actually do this stuff for a living instead of relying on dogma which just pi$$es people off as they can see right through that crap.

We have loads of space to accommodate 2 or 3 strategically placed multi level parkades. The arena parking lot if triple decked could mean the removal of the parking at the Crystal Pool with only spaces available for handicap spots, remove the long term parking use from Johnson St and Fisgard and free up a few hundred spots for rotational parking. A lot of us have beaten this to death by saying similar versions of this for the past couple of months, surely to goodness if we can come up with this type of discussion our 'elected officials' could as well.

If they cant I dont believe its because they havent given it similar thought I think its because it would be contrary to their ideology which will only be harmful to the people they are supposed to be serving.

• Nparker likes this

#2853 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

I am not sure that Robbins owns any properties used as parking lots. i think they are just a contractor that enforces parking and collects revenue for the owners of the lands

I know a senior manager at Robins in Toronto I'm going to send this link to him and ask for his input

#2854 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

Robbins goes well out of their way to tell us they own no lots.  That's very clear. 

#2855 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

The arena parking lot if triple decked could mean the removal of the parking at the Crystal Pool with only spaces available for handicap spots, remove the long term parking use from Johnson St and Fisgard and free up a few hundred spots for rotational parking.

I dont think the City would ever consider removing long term parking from the Centennial Square parkade. Considering who mainly uses it (CRD and City staff), I can't be the only one that isnt surprised that it continues to be the cheapest monthly parkade post-rate hike. Our elected officials may talk the talk about alternative modes of travel, but they'll be the last ones to enforce that on their own staff.

Edited by shoeflack, 25 February 2017 - 09:25 AM.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#2856 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

I dont think the City would ever consider removing long term parking from the Centennial Square parkade. Considering who mainly uses it (CRD and City staff), I can't be the only one that isnt surprised that it continues to be the cheapest monthly parkade post-rate hike. Our elected officials may talk the talk about alternative modes of travel, but they'll be the last ones to enforce that on their own staff.

Hypocrisy defined right there....!!! Dont you find it ironic that the CRD HQ has so few parking spaces, they gave themselves a variance when it was being built and one of the reasons was they wanted to set the example that if parking wasnt provided then most employees would use transit or ride...I wonder how accurate that is today. I would think definitely a higher % probably do but I also know folks that work in there and most of them drive   

#2857 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

Robbins goes well out of their way to tell us they own no lots.  That's very clear. 

That's what I suspected so they are like commissionaires A company used as a contractor to look after properties.

I for one will never ever park in a Robbins controlled lot.

If you get a ticket there is no recourse at all.

I think they are dishonest, I think they are liars and finally I feel they are thieves.

I dont think they should be allowed to have access to personal info on the public like they have.

#2858 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:43 AM

^ I actually think they rarely ticket in error.  Lots of people though say they "were just there for a minute..." and then complain about the ticket.  Don't park there if you are not going to pay.  It's OK that they have access for billing purposes, as long as they treat the information properly.  For most, a ticket is preferable to a boot or tow, and that's the only alternative if they get no access to records for billing/collections.

• Rob Randall likes this

#2859 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:48 AM

Don't park there if you are not going to pay.  It's OK that they have access for billing purposes, as long as they treat the information properly.

I just said that I never park in a Robbins controlled site./ yellow sign....carry on.

#2860 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

Reached out to my contact in Toronto in the parking business. I misspoke, he is with Impark not Robbins. He was surprised at what was going on here as he hasn't been following Victoria stuff. He says they have a whole team that specializes in feasibility studies on projects up to whole cities. 

So they say it costs between 20k and 50k per parking stall to build with under ground more on this higher end of that spectrum

An above ground parking structure i'd budget on the 25k per stall for a decent estimate. Cost of labour and materials are always factors and I'm not sure of where they're at in Victoria.
A Parkades success will be dependent on location. Who is going to use it and how frequently?

Edited by rjag, 25 February 2017 - 12:19 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users