Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#2941 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

After repeating yourself for the umpteenth time, yes!

People are responding to negate your repeating commentary. It's like we're in a tumbleweed of HB vs. The Rest and the thing just won't ...stop ...tumbling!

I don't understand the concern or the uproar on if it suceeds or fails. It's costing no one except those who decide to park there. It suceeds, it suceed. If it fails, it fails. No harm, no fowl; unlike many endeavors in this region.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 14 March 2017 - 04:35 PM.

• jonny likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2942 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:47 PM

so is there specific parking for employees then? or do they have to register their plates? How does that work?

i have heard more then once of uptown employees getting tickets for parking in the parkade while waiting  for their parking passes (stall) i know in the past someone has also posted a photo of a car with a boot on it at uptown

• rjag likes this

#2943 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

Taxi Hydrant Zones Pilot

March 13, 2017

Parking is in high demand in downtown Victoria. When waiting for fares, taxis frequently use on-street parking spaces which reduces the availability of on-street parking. Based on best practices of other cities, the City has introduced a one-year pilot to enable taxi drivers to wait for fares at six identified taxi hydrant zones as long as they remain in their vehicle and relocate immediately upon the approach or arrival of an emergency vehicle.

The new Taxi Hydrant Zones are marked with signage and are located at: 1200 Government Street; 1632 Store Street; 761 Fort Street; 827 Fort Street; 634 Humboldt Street and 728 Humboldt Street.

http://www.victoria....ones-pilot.html

#2944 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

More than 30 of the 53 stalls at the Douglas and Frances park and ride have been taken.  Opens this weekend.

Two more lots in the works, including one that will not be on the West Shore or Peninsula route.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2945 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

More than 30 of the 53 stalls at the Douglas and Frances park and ride have been taken.  Opens this weekend.

Two more lots in the works, including one that will not be on the West Shore or Peninsula route.

Super 8 would make sense for another park/ride.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-03-28-15-36-52.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2946 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

Super 8 would make sense for another park/ride.

It could be valet parking, employing the newly housed residents at this low-barrier facility. It's a win-win!  :banana:

#2947 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

ya that would make sense drive your car even farther into downtown then take a bus  a few blocks....not

#2948 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

ya that would make sense drive your car even farther into downtown then take a bus  a few blocks....not

It's a block away from the wildly popular one opening this weekend.

And my guess for #3 is...

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-03-28-15-40-33.png

^ and this one will be a test of how many people opt to walk in, or take the bus pass...

#2949 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

its actually 1/2 a km from that one. 500metres or 50000cm

#2950 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

its actually 1/2 a km from that one. 500metres or 50000cm

Right, and 500m at 50kmh, it takes 36 seconds to get there.

#2951 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

Another dead horse
  • Nparker likes this

#2952 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:05 AM

Does a map exist of the different parking zones in Victoria where you DON'T have to pay? I found a map on the City of Victoria web site that shows all the areas where you have to pay. I'm interested in all those places that are 2 hr or 1 hr and what days those apply - some are Monday to Friday, some are Monday to Saturday.  Google street view is useful for this but sometimes one can't zoom in close enough to read the sign. 

#2953 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

Hi Redd you can find all that info online on the City Of Vic Website here is a link.

Once there you can open different layers on the maps. they have one for parking with colour coded dots.

#2954 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

City staff said the improvements will mean a loss of 25 parking stalls on the south side of the block, but unlike other areas of the city, the change is supported by the businesses in the area.

“For me that was one of the oddest parts of the conversations that we did have with the stakeholders,” Dellebuur told councillors. “We went out to talk to hotel owners proposing to take out 25 of the 30 spaces in the front of their street and they were overwhelmingly in support of it.

“They felt that that would actually improve the aesthetics for their hotel and would make their operations for the various valet parking and valet service and entry and exit out of the hotel that much cleaner and safer for their staff, and they felt they’ve got lots of parking in the underground and in surface parking,” Dellebuur said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.CT1jjQI0.dpuf

#2955 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

Park and ride services more than half full

Association believes services is helping to ease city’s parking crunch

http://www.saanichne...than-half-full/

#2956 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:03 PM

^eh... helping not from my experience. And I have a parking space. But getting to it... the lots are full!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2957 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

I can't help but think how great this idea is.  Especially in a spot along the Douglas corridor...many buses.  

Knowing that a monthly transit pass is roughly $85 per month, that makes the parking only $15 per month.  Is BC Transit providing a subsidized bus pass for this program, or is the parking truly only $15 per month?

#2958 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

Also, what about a potential option for a day rate while spots are available...maybe $6 per day, with a Transit day pass included....ie, exchange the receipt on the bus for a day pass.

#2959 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

I can't help but think how great this idea is.  Especially in a spot along the Douglas corridor...many buses.  

Knowing that a monthly transit pass is roughly $85 per month, that makes the parking only $15 per month.  Is BC Transit providing a subsidized bus pass for this program, or is the parking truly only $15 per month?

Yes, BCT is kicking in somehow.  The parking IIRC is $60 with no pass.

Kind of funny, the first person to use it is the DVBA person.  She lives in Langford.

#2960 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

Also, what about a potential option for a day rate while spots are available...maybe $6 per day, with a Transit day pass included....ie, exchange the receipt on the bus for a day pass.

I think there is a day rate.  Probably too complex to bother with bus pass for the last 18 stalls.  Cash fare works.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users