Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#2981 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

So I guess this falls under parking. Who is responsible for mowing the boulevards?  Here's the free parking across from the fire hall on Yates street - anyone getting out of their vehicle has to hike through a jungle of weeds to the sidewalk. Central Middle School or the City?  Looks totally ghetto. 

White person's ghetto. Life is hard.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#2982 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:31 PM

That was one of the biggest mistakes made by past councils. In a fever of trying to save money on the things the city should be doing, they passed a policy that allows individual property owners to eliminate the boulevard maintenance costs on their property tax, if they undertake to keep the boulevards in front of their property cut. It has brought about inconsistency of maintenance, looks crappy for the City of Gardens. Another area the city skimps on is trimming and shaping the boulevard trees.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2983 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

White person's ghetto. Life is hard.

How old or out of touch are some of you guys, lol!? I never said it was 'a' ghetto, I said it looked ghetto, which generally most people under the age of 80 understand to mean looks "shi*tty". Language unlike some people actually evolves over time, lol. ;)

Hotel Mike is bang on, Victoria is a brand that gets marketed to bring in big tourists dollars, and having a crappy boulevard one block from downtown where tourists buses come down every day from Craigdarroch Castle is just dumb for business. Never mind the most important reason is so people don't have to walk through a jungle to get to the sidewalk, saves money if you don't have to weed the school field, not to mention I've found drug needles in that area before.. could never see them now.

Pride in appearance of neighborhood is a well known deterrent to crime while increasing commitment to community.
  • Nparker, rjag, Hotel Mike and 4 others like this

#2984 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

It did look ghetto. Not like a ghetto though. There is a big difference.
  • zoomer, Nparker, sdwright.vic and 1 other like this

#2985 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:12 PM

It did look ghetto. Not like a ghetto though. There is a big difference.

No kidding. No canals, no gondolas...

#2986 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

How old or out of touch are some of you guys, lol!?

I don't like the insinuation. Many of VV's forumers are both old and out of touch.

• RoadRunner likes this

#2987 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

There was a time we were once the young upstarts. Now we're old grumpy farts complaining about tall grass.. :)

So, to bring this back on track before I get a one year ban for being off topic - why still no word on the below Wharf Street parking lots? For the next mayor to figure out? Maybe this is a 22nd century issue.. when it might be underwater anyways, problem solved.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#2988 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

Now we're old grumpy farts complaining about tall grass.

Where's that height restriction lawnmower when you really need it?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2989 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

Looks totally ghetto

Zoomer pic:

34455231271_54d0ab050a_h.jpg

I agree... that old fire hall is an embarrassment.

• Nparker likes this

#2990 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:58 PM

So, to bring this back on track before I get a one year ban for being off topic - why still no word on the below Wharf Street parking lots? For the next mayor to figure out? Maybe this is a 22nd century issue.. when it might be underwater anyways, problem solved.

An imaginary discussion, overhead at City Hall:

"Look, for the amount you're charging for that lot I need some assurance my proposal will get a reasonable hearing; I don't wanna spend a quarter million on plans and consulting only to have Planning sit on it for three years or have Madoff send it back saying, "not good enough". Or bull crap like, "it's too tall, make it wider; now it's too wide, make it skinnier". Jesus Christ, I've built some good buildings in my time and I know how to play the game but I don't need a kid half my age who's never touched a shovel in his life armchair quarterbacking my blueprints. Look, if you want to preserve those parking lots, fine. I'll build somewhere else, I don't need the hassle. But those lots are a jewel and I think I can do an honourable job building on them and if I don't make a dime off it, fine. But you're going to give me a clear idea of what you want and a clear pathway to approval. I'll take care of the rest."

Edited by Rob Randall, 11 May 2017 - 10:59 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#2991 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:04 AM

Not parking related but..........the city maintenance of boulevards has really plummeted the past few years. Tree trunks, poles and tight spaces are rarely dealt with and look like crap. They used to go around with a normal sized lawnmower to get those spots. We mow our own boulevard. Some areas are lucky to be mowed once a year it seems.

• Nparker likes this

#2992 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:09 AM

We have to pay for boulevard maintenance in the CoV. And I believe the City won't do it unless 60% of properties along a boulevard agree to the work, or something like that?

Still, I think they still do them once or twice a year.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2993 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:20 AM

Yes, normally done at least twice a year with a big riding mower but I wonder if there was some sort of obstruction there liked parked cars that forced them to skip it. Yes, a regular mower would be better because there's always spots like the tight areas between poles and trees that get skipped.

#2994 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:35 AM

We have to pay for boulevard maintenance in the CoV...

If they are going to be maintained, pave them.

#2995 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

Interesting read.  Makes me wonder where downtown Victoria would fall out.  We all feel strongly that parking in downtown is extremely limited, but so did people in the study areas.

http://www.citylab.c...utm_source=SFFB

#2996 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

I noticed today signs on levels 1 and 2 of the View Street parkade saying that spots were maximum 3 hours during weekdays.  I don't know if these are new, or if I have just never found a spot so low before! 

#2997 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:15 PM

Relatively new. A yearish.

#2998 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

^ The 3-hour limit was there when I started working downtown in July 2015. I imagine that those signs went up at the same time as the parking rates throughout the city changed, which was in late 2014 I think

I'm thinking Yates, not View. Whoops! The signs at View probably went up after they redid the entry and repainted the lines I imagine.

Edited by Jackerbie, 06 June 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#2999 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

Regular parking rules Downtown today because Saturday was free parking day.

BTW, why was Broughton Street closed off to parking on July 1?

#3000 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

BTW, why was Broughton Street closed off to parking on July 1?

Did Jazzfest still have some spots needed?  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users