Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5613 replies to this topic

#3001 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

re: 

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

Interesting read.  Makes me wonder where downtown Victoria would fall out.  We all feel strongly that parking in downtown is extremely limited, but so did people in the study areas.

http://www.citylab.c...utm_source=SFFB

Important to note citylab (the source) has a specific agenda to get people out of cars and into anything but.  Not credible as a research source unless you're trying to support this point of view.  

#3002 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Q for Ismo.  Why is the block of Meares between Vancouver and Quadra free parking?  It seems it mostly serves businesses, at least most of it does, the west end.  What would trigger a look at expanding meters to that area?  Why, or why wouldn't we expand meters to that area?  When was the last time a new block was metered?

For example, Fort St. is metered for another two blocks and a half, all the way past Cook St.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 July 2017 - 09:45 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3003 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

Not only free, it was recently made two hour instead of one hour. At the same time they cracked down on business parking on the boulevard.

#3004 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

Not only free, it was recently made two hour instead of one hour. At the same time they cracked down on business parking on the boulevard.

Interesting.  I wonder if the YMCA benefits lots from that parking zone.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3005 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

re: 

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

Interesting read.  Makes me wonder where downtown Victoria would fall out.  We all feel strongly that parking in downtown is extremely limited, but so did people in the study areas.

http://www.citylab.c...utm_source=SFFB

Important to note citylab (the source) has a specific agenda to get people out of cars and into anything but.  Not credible as a research source unless you're trying to support this point of view.  

The link to the research that the article references doesn't seem to work. Is that by design?

#3006 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Metered parking was introduced recently to Quadra between Johnson and Pandora.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3007 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

Metered parking was introduced recently to Quadra between Johnson and Pandora.

It doesn't appear that there was any parking in the stretch before, so they are probably introducing some now so that they can then take it away and install a bike lane.

#3008 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

Today in the 800-block of View I wasn't able to pay with my card and had no change. The transaction just took a while then the screen said something about coins, then the machine went back to its standard waiting mode. There was someone behind me so I let her go, called the parking office but got the machine with an after hour message. Weird.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3009 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

Today in the 800-block of View I wasn't able to pay with my card and had no change. The transaction just took a while then the screen said something about coins, then the machine went back to its standard waiting mode. There was someone behind me so I let her go, called the parking office but got the machine with an after hour message. Weird.

I never use the kiosks anymore. On the rare visit to downtown, I either find a parkade or use the Park Victoria app.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3010 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

I never use the kiosks anymore. On the rare visit to downtown, I either find a parkade or use the Park Victoria app.

The app is great. Pre-pay for a couple hours no matter how long I need to park for and if I'm quick, hit stop and end up paying 56 cents rather than the full cost at the meter. Much better than PayByPhone in Vancouver, Kelowna, and various other cities where you pay the full amount regardless of how long you actually use the spot.
  • Hotel Mike, Ismo07 and thundergun like this

#3011 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:08 PM

The app kept crashing my phone the last time I had it installed. I haven't used it since.

But normally the credit card payments go through without a hitch. Today something was up.

Know it all.

#3012 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

Q for Ismo.  Why is the block of Meares between Vancouver and Quadra free parking?  It seems it mostly serves businesses, at least most of it does, the west end.  What would trigger a look at expanding meters to that area?  Why, or why wouldn't we expand meters to that area?  When was the last time a new block was metered?

For example, Fort St. is metered for another two blocks and a half, all the way past Cook St.

21615978_1654377801248552_13815265187193

Pay parking coming next week.

#3013 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

what this city needs desperately is new parkades.  It seems every time I go downtown I am constantly searching for a parking spot and 2 of the City parkades were full and this was last Thursday.  You have to wonder how much business downtown is losing because everything that is available downtown is available elsewhere

#3014 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

what this city needs desperately is new parkades.  It seems every time I go downtown I am constantly searching for a parking spot and 2 of the City parkades were full and this was last Thursday.  You have to wonder how much business downtown is losing because everything that is available downtown is available elsewhere

Helps says building a new parkade shouldn't be in the plans though.

“With autonomous vehicles, the city needs to invest in the kind of infrastructure that we are going to need for the 21st century and I don’t think another parkade is that.”

Helps says there are creative ways of making more parking like encouraging new business developments to create more parking.

http://www.iheartrad...toria-1.2239247

In my meeting with Mayor Helps I brought up the idea of a parkade behind the arena.  She was not opposed. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 September 2017 - 01:30 PM.

• thundergun likes this

#3015 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

...In my meeting with Mayor Helps I brought up the idea of a parkade behind the arena.  She was not opposed. 

This really should have been part of the redevelopment of the site from the beginning.

• Midnightly likes this

#3016 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

It's not mandatory. Air Canada Centre has zero parking. And parkades can be a bit dicey when everyone leaves at home once.

#3017 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

...And parkades can be a bit dicey when everyone leaves at home once.

Perhaps, but this location would serve commuters during weekdays and SOFMC users on evenings & weekends. I am sure a modest-sized facility here could be quite successful.

#3018 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

Oh I agree. It can also serve Crystal Pool.

#3019 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:07 PM

Save On has next to no dayside events.

#3020 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

Save On has next to no dayside events.

Which is why it would serve commuters & Crystal Pool users well.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users