Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#3081 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

The only type of housing that requires minimal parking is buildings like 844 Johnson.  Of course, ironically, it has a substantial underground parking lot, that is unused.  At least unused for parking.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 October 2017 - 11:56 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3082 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

1144 Johnson (at Chambers) is the only lot available north of Beacon Hill park and south of Bay St. with parking available.  $60 and $85.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 October 2017 - 12:02 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3083 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

Wow! where did you get that data?

Her Worshipfulness wont want that made common knowledge!!!

Good thing select Government employees get free parking.

I think that Helps would be very happy to see this. She is winning, no more room for cars means that everyone has to start riding bikes and she will be able to point to the increase in ridership as proof that her bike lanes concept works.

Edited by spanky123, 08 October 2017 - 12:39 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

#3084 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

Good thing select Government employees get free parking.

I think that Helps would be very happy to see this. She is winning, no more room for cars means that everyone has to start riding bikes and she will be able to point to the increase in ridership as proof that her bike lanes concept works.

Yup, engineered congestion combined with loss of parking forces people to be happy to ride a bike in the pouring rain.... :farmer:

#3085 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

Here's something else to consider. If we're asking folks to pay $300,000 for a studio apartment in downtown Victoria, the end-user buyer in that price range or the tenant able to afford the rent in that price range is overwhelmingly likely to own a vehicle.

I guess what I'm saying is council is trying to make the case that despite the very high cost of real-estate in Victoria, if you're buying a studio for $300,000 you're only an entry level buyer and as an entry level buyer you're unlikely to

a) be able to afford a vehicle and

b) have no need for a vehicle, hence your decision to live in a studio apartment in downtown Victoria

But they're forgetting that our entry-level buyers would be considered upper middle-tier buyers across 90% of the jurisdictions in this country.

• VicHockeyFan, Daveyboy and Midnightly like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3086 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:08 PM

Yup, engineered congestion combined with loss of parking forces people to be happy to ride a bike in the pouring rain.... :farmer:

Or shop out of town where the parking is free out of the rain inside the new Mayfair Mall.

• rjag and sebberry like this

#3087 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

And yet there is never a short supply of spots downtown in the $9 a day range. So if you assume 21 working days a month, that is $190. I am not sure there is a real problem until the daily rate is above $20.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3088 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:29 AM

And yet there is never a short supply of spots downtown in the $9 a day range. So if you assume 21 working days a month, that is $190. I am not sure there is a real problem until the daily rate is above $20.

There are many Victorian's who don't work downtown that can potentially spend more money in the city than those who work there, but are inconvenienced by an increasing lack of parking due to the removal of spaces

for bike lanes and the associated narrowing of car lanes. The cost of parking is not the main factor for seniors with dollars to spend.

#3089 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:58 AM

Many parkades hit capacity daily. That’s a problem for retailers.  Believe it or not, there is a healthy percentage of the population that will not or can not parallel park properly, and they will never park downtown except in a parkade.  How many times does it take for that person to come downtown only to find two parkades full, before they stop trying?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 October 2017 - 07:22 AM.

• Bingo likes this

#3090 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:28 AM

Robbins:

1112 Wharf - $200 to $260 - waitlist

City:

Wharf St. - $150 - waitlist

I thought there was just a rate review.  Or did we decide to only raise rates a certain percentage each year?  This seems like a disparity that could be closed up a bit. 

#3091 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:04 AM

Maybe the city should just stop having monthly parking. You can still park there every day but no monthly pass. Those that get nervous will go elsewhere and there will be a more natural turnover of parking because there won't be endless reserve spots. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3092 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

^all those people who have monthly parking work downtown. There is no "those who get nervous will go elsewhere" is not realistic. They can't just move there office. Pretty much those that have monthly parking are parking 20 out of 30 days at least. Moving those to daily wouldn't do anything.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3093 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

The $9 a day spaces are rarely used for the full day. They usually flip over multiple times.

#3094 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

Parkade vehicle day rates are $14.50 to $16.  City surface lots are $15 per day, except Royal Athletic $10 per day.  Robbins day rate at the arena is $9.  At Market Square it's $13.  $13 on Broad St.  $13 at the Bay Centre.  $14 in the 700-block Broughton.  $16/day at the Marriott.

Atrium might have one of the best deals, $1/hour.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 October 2017 - 08:34 AM.

#3095 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

... and at the cheapest day rate is still $200 a month based on 20 day work month.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 09 October 2017 - 09:10 AM.

#3096 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

Two of my favourite 2-hours free parking spots have disappeared.
Meares between Quadra and Vancouver, and Burdett between Vancouver and Quadra are metered now. Feh!
  • Matt R. likes this

#3097 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

How many times does it take for that person to come downtown only to find two parkades full, before they stop trying?

Exactly! It's like a restaurant that is only as good as it's last meal. Disappointed and how long before you try it again when there are other options and other restaurants that have free parking that are not downtown.

#3098 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

https://l.facebook.c...ksTnIymNc1EHqhw

Downtown Victoria to lose 116 more parking stalls this week

Time for the City to step up and show us how you can build a beautiful parkade (that does not even look like a parkade) WITH housing on the arena site.

http://justlaunch.me...t-leed-parking/

garage-at-dusk.jpg

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 October 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#3099 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

Our parking rates are still cheap.  I remember walking in Boston and saw parking rates advertised at $20.  I thought that was fair, until I did a double take and realized that was the HOURLY rate.  

Maybe our parking rates are too cheap?  I think in Downtown Vancouver on a city metered space I was paying $6/hr

• thundergun likes this

#3100 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

Our parking rates are still cheap.  

Maybe our parking rates are too cheap?  

If the parking rates were raised to $100 an hour the city could pay off the bridge in 50 years and save all the money spent on bike lanes that wouldn't be needed to separate the cars that didn't go downtown anymore because the parking was too expensive..

Edited by Bingo, 09 October 2017 - 05:03 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users