Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5613 replies to this topic

#3281 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

Then tell the merchants of the Bay Centre to cover the cost of parking for their customers.

They do. There are parking spaces underneath the mall.

This may drive the JBNEA crazy, but why not use Ogden Point for parking here in the off-season?  It's a big ol' massive parking lot.  And it's only a nice 15-20 minute walk to town, closer to Legislature.

And provide the park and ride type service that they made a big deal about on the vacant car lot.

#3282 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:10 PM

And provide the park and ride type service that they made a big deal about on the vacant car lot.

Can be done and the 30/31 (?) going by there is not all that busy in the am, as it's 1st or 2nd stop after terminus.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3283 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

Then tell the merchants of the Bay Centre to cover the cost of parking for their customers.

They do. There are parking spaces underneath the mall...

So I am not sure what tjv means regarding the Bay Centre's "gimmick" about having to pay to shop there.

#3284 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

They do. There are parking spaces underneath the mall.

yes, but they aren't free, but Mayfair, Hillside, etc which have identical stores all provide free abundant parking.  Its like one of, oh say, Save on Foods in town charging for parking when the other 4 are free

• VicHockeyFan and Midnightly like this

#3285 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

It is a bit funny that City parkades are first hour free but Bay Centre does not even validate customer parking for a certain purchase level.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3286 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

yes, but they aren't free, but Mayfair, Hillside, etc which have identical stores all provide free abundant parking...

So is this the CoV's problem or the Bay Centre merchant's issue to deal with? Why not have the merchants validate your parking when you make a purchase in the mall? It seems pretty simple to me.

#3287 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:46 PM

It is a bit funny that City parkades are first hour free but Bay Centre does not even validate customer parking for a certain purchase level.

they can have free parking all they want but when the last few times I have been downtown and they are all full with no other on street parking its pretty hard to have first hour free parking

So is this the CoV's problem or the Bay Centre merchant's issue to deal with? Why not have the merchants validate your parking when you make a purchase in the mall? It seems pretty simple to me.

there is zero free parking at bay centre and as stated above the parkades are full and there is no on street parking available from what I have found

this is the CoV's problem overall because they don't realize there is no unique stores or services in the downtown area.  

#3288 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

this is the CoV's problem overall because they don't realize there is no unique stores or services in the downtown area.

That's probably a good thing. Can you imagine what the parking would be like?

• Nparker likes this

#3289 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

...this is the CoV's problem overall because they don't realize there is no unique stores or services in the downtown area.  

So you're saying the CoV is responsible for your perception of "no unique stores" downtown? I'd suggest there are significantly more unique stores downtown than you'll find in any of the region's auto-oriented shopping malls. 

• tedward and nagel like this

#3290 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

I am sure many restaurants will disagree with the fact they are not unique.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3291 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:23 PM

So you're saying the CoV is responsible for your perception of "no unique stores" downtown? I'd suggest there are significantly more unique stores downtown than you'll find in any of the region's auto-oriented shopping malls. 

Really?  name some please that don't have any similarities to others found elsewhere in the CRD.  The best restaurants in Greater Victoria aren't even in  the CoV as an example.

#3292 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

Cafe Brio. Il Terrazzo. Saveur. Irish Times and Bard. The Local.
  • Nparker, Matt R. and nagel like this

#3293 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

^I said good, not average.  Places where they expect suit and ties with chefs trained in France, etc

#3294 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

Yawn. Few people go to the Deep Cove Chalet if that’s what you mean. Cactus Club on Douglas does 25x the sales.
  • Matt R. and nagel like this

#3295 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

^^I'll give you the Deep Cove Chalet. But everyone knows the best restaurants are in the Downtown core.

Edited by Rob Randall, 18 October 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#3296 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

Deep Cove Chalet rates #4 on TripAdvisir out of 58 Sidney restaurants.

Saveur is #1 of 900 in Victoria.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 October 2017 - 07:18 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#3297 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

Yawn. Few people go to the Deep Cove Chalet if that’s what you mean. Cactus Club on Douglas does 25x the sales.

that's like saying Chevrolet sells 1000000x more vehicles than Ferrari....I guess Chevrolet is a better car?  What are McDonalds sales compared to Cactus Club?

#3298 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

Chevy is much more popular, yes. Even among those than can afford a Ferrari.

#3299 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

how shall I say this.....we definitely do not share the same tastes, so lets just leave it at that

#3300 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

This may drive the JBNEA crazy, but why not use Ogden Point for parking here in the off-season?  It's a big ol' massive parking lot.  And it's only a nice 15-20 minute walk to town, closer to Legislature.

I think the percentage of people willing to walk 15-25 minutes from a parking spot to a downtown destination is fairly small.  If a lot of people were willing to do that there would already be more pressure on the free, on street parking that is already within that distance range of downtown.

• tedward likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users