Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#1281 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

A quick internet search shows Empress, Magnolia and Grand Pacific. Might want to be careful though if you drive an Aston Martin.

http://www.tripadvis...ver_Island.html

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1282 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

The first one that came to mind was the Carlton Plaza.

#1283 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

I saw a guy getting a more-than-30cm-away-from-curb ticket today.  Now, he was way over, but it was the smallest type of car, no further out into the roadway than the two cars on either side of him.  Why can't we make the rule state that if you are 30cm or more from curb AND you extend xxx metres into the roadway.

• sebberry and LocalMom like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1284 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

^ THIS.

Exactly.

If impeding traffic or safe travels, FINE. But otherwise, step off.

• sebberry likes this

#1285 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Why can't we make the rule state that if you are 30cm or more from curb AND you extend xxx metres into the roadway.

Just because you've a smaller car should not mean you can flout the traffic rules imo (and through careless parking take up as much road space on the street as some humongous boat of a car).   That's especially relevant if you're the only one on a  block 'sticking out', because the rest of the smaller cars made an effort to park within the guidelines.  I think It's also trickier and/or hazardous for commissionaires to enforce violations when vehicle width needs to be taken into account (way simpler just to measure the gap from the curb).

Such behaviour might also might be seen as a 'red flag' -- if they're behaving so inaccurately when parking, might they be more likely to 'clip' some bicyclist while driving?  I think it should contribute to their 'careless driving' record.

jbw

#1286 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

Just because you've a smaller car should not mean you can flout the traffic rules imo (and through careless parking take up as much road space on the street as some humongous boat of a car).   That's especially relevant if you're the only one on a  block 'sticking out', because the rest of the smaller cars made an effort to park within the guidelines.  I think It's also trickier and/or hazardous for commissionaires to enforce violations when vehicle width needs to be taken into account (way simpler just to measure the gap from the curb).

Such behaviour might also might be seen as a 'red flag' -- if they're behaving so inaccurately when parking, might they be more likely to 'clip' some bicyclist while driving?  I think it should contribute to their 'careless driving' record.

jbw

My issue is that you can park totally haphazard in a mall parking lot, with no ticket when you return to your car.  I don't want to encourage it, but man, it sucks to come back to a ticket for something so lame as saving your rims or being a little careless in parking (in a small car).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1287 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

a ticket for something so lame as saving your rims or being a little careless in parking (in a small car).

I'd of thought in such instances you'd eyeball your result and finetune as needed to avoid risking the ticket.  I've never found the need (my car's rims are higher than most curbs) but there's after market 'curb detectors' you can mount on your car frame that scrape the curb as you're angling in (so you can know when you're just X inches away from the curb).

jbw

#1288 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

Ocean Pointe does. Restaurants with valet would be awesome. $10 to ditch your car right at the door? Sold.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1289 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

I'll park my own car, thanks.  Clutches aren't cheap. 

As for the 30cm curb thing, I agree.  Even more so if there are bike lanes and you're entirely on the correct side of the line.  Otherwise it really is just a cash grab.

I'm not aware of any around here, but what's with the spaces that don't allow you to back into the stall? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1290 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

I saw a guy getting a more-than-30cm-away-from-curb ticket today.  Now, he was way over, but it was the smallest type of car, no further out into the roadway than the two cars on either side of him.  Why can't we make the rule state that if you are 30cm or more from curb AND you extend xxx metres into the roadway.

When I park my motorcycle in a stall I make sure it is closer to the roadway than the curb so someone doesn't try to quickly slide into the space before they see it occupied and ding my bike. I have never got a ticket, but wonder if I could?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1291 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

When I park my motorcycle in a stall I make sure it is closer to the roadway than the curb so someone doesn't try to quickly slide into the space before they see it occupied and ding my bike. I have never got a ticket, but wonder if I could?

The road's sloped a fair bit near the curve (for rainwater run-off), which is why pretty much all motorcycles I've seen are parked at a fair angle (else they're at risk to topple over?).  For sure, while one wheel usually is, both wheels are rarely within the 30 cm guideline so far as I've noticed. 

And, is not it permitted (if not encouraged!) for two motorcycles to be parked in such a manner in one car parking spot?  Clearly the curb rule ought not apply to motorcycles imo.

jbw

#1292 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

If the vehicle was not causing an issue with the traffic lane it was likely getting a warning ticket. Warning tickets will be issued up to 60 cm away.

The trouble with vehicles parking to far from the curb even when not hindering traffic is that it can also effect the parking into the spot behind, just changes the angle the parallel park. Can also cause an issue for the person leaving the space behind.
  • Mike K. likes this

#1293 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

Yesterday I saw a parked car with the front wheel about 2 feet from the curb, real wheel about 10cm. What was most embarrassing was the vehicle was the first in the row on the street, the easiest parking spot to maneuver into. Some people just shouldn't drive...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1294 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

I'm not aware of any around here, but what's with the spaces that don't allow you to back into the stall? 

Usually those are in parkades where there is an air intake by the wall somewhere. The rule for no backing in is to minimize the exhaust of vehicles going into the air intakes.

#1295 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

Usually those are in parkades where there is an air intake by the wall somewhere. The rule for no backing in is to minimize the exhaust of vehicles going into the air intakes.

They don't want to have to keep painting the wall and cleaning off the exhaust stains.

#1296 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

The City of Victoria has released a parking survey available at http://www.victoria....ces-review.html

Know it all.

#1297 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

Move monthly, long-term parkers to higher floors in City parkades to free up space on lower floors for those who park for less than three-hours.

http://www.victoria....mendations.html

This has been a pet peeve of mine for decades, so I'm hopeful this will go through.

jbw

• Jill likes this

#1298 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

So parking is free today in parkades and at meters.  So other than "because it's always been that way", why do we have free parking today?  Seems to me we are just throwing away a day's revenue.

#1299 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

Yeah the holidays thing seems odd, doesn't it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1300 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

Yeah the holidays thing seems odd, doesn't it.

It's only a holiday today for government employees, that's about it.  Us regular chumps are all working.  Even banks appear to be open today.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users