Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#1301 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

It also means not having to pay a whole group of commisionaires holiday pay.
  • Gipper likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1302 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

It also means not having to pay a whole group of commisionaires holiday pay.

I don't buy that argument.  They take in waaaaay more than their salaries each day in tickets written.  Also, you don't need to employ a full complement.  Still get revenue from parkades and meters, but reduce enforcement if you want to.  Nobody will know, or be sure that there are only 2 meter-maids on, instead of 7.

It's also not a statutory holiday today (that was Friday), there is no need for holiday pay to be built into these employment contracts.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1303 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

Are the meter maids unionized?

On a normal day there are many employees walking the streets, riding scooters, manning payment booths, and perhaps even the parking office. Unless you deploy everyone and treat the day like any other you'll confuse people and send the wrong message. It should be (or is?) all or nothing.

On "holidays" there are still commisionaires walking the beat issuing tickets for parking infractions, like parking in no-parking zones, on yellow lines, etc. I'm cool with this limited enforcement.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1304 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

Are the meter maids unionized?

Yes.  However it appears they do not get holiday pay on Easter Monday.

http://commissionair...tive-agreement/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1305 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

It's interesting that it seems only public employee unions have Easter Monday as a holiday. That includes all of City staff, teachers, posties etc. Even working for a company with a private sector union, Easter Monday was never considered a holiday, nor was there any additional pay or perks connected to the date. Maybe it's time to open schools on Easter Monday, to have mail delivery, and to have our government functioning on that day.

• sebberry likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1306 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

A fair bit of revenue is coming in today--people aren't sure and are plugging the meters anyway.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1307 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

A fair bit of revenue is coming in today--people aren't sure and are plugging the meters anyway.

The kiosks aren't taking money today, which doesn't leave many opportunities to pay by mistake.

#1308 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

The kiosks aren't taking money today, which doesn't leave many opportunities to pay by mistake.

Ya, doesn't the kiosk tell you not to pay?

#1309 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

^The meters aren't as helpful.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1310 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

BC Ferries is paying time and a half today.

I also noticed that Campbell Construction doesn't seem to be working on the Era site while other construction sites are active. Campbell has unionized workers though.

Know it all.

#1311 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

I also noticed that Campbell Construction doesn't seem to be working on the Era site while other construction sites are active. Campbell has unionized workers though.

Yup.  Some guys showed up, I saw them this morning.  Then they realized it wasn't a work day.  They went home.

#1312 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Oh crazy.

Yeah the office next to ours is open. It's a full business day and yet Sunday parking is in effect. I love it :)

Know it all.

#1313 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

With all the crap BC Ferries is taking lately over rising fares, you'd think they'd pay regular time for a regular work day. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1314 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

With all the crap BC Ferries is taking lately over rising fares, you'd think they'd pay regular time for a regular work day. 

It's in their contract I guess.  Frankly, when bargaining on a new contract, you usually leave all the stuff in and only change a few things.  It probably never made the cut of things one side or the other wanted to re-examine.

#1315 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Ya, doesn't the kiosk tell you not to pay?

It says "no sales", which isn't as clear of a message as it could be. Saw people trying to pay anyway... Maybe Ismo could change it to "free parking today"

#1316 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

It says "no sales", which isn't as clear of a message as it could be. Saw people trying to pay anyway... Maybe Ismo could change it to "free parking today"

If I recall we were very limited on the messaging on that when the machine is turned "off".  I ask the question but I don't think I would have chosen "no sales" as my first try.  I would imagine people wouldn't try for too long before leaving.  The days and time in effect are also posted on the instruction window.

#1317 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

If its a character limit, one word would work better: 'Free'

#1318 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

Open house! --> http://www.victoria....ces-review.html

Drop by an open house on Friday, April 25 from 8 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. at the City Hall Antechamber to view displays and meet with staff to discuss the proposed changes to parking.

All input will be compiled and summarized in a report to City Council in May.

Please help us improve your parking experience downtown by joining the conversation!

Know it all.

#1319 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

If I recall we were very limited on the messaging on that when the machine is turned "off". I ask the question but I don't think I would have chosen "no sales" as my first try. I would imagine people wouldn't try for too long before leaving. The days and time in effect are also posted on the instruction window.

With respect, the kiosks do not indicate whether parking is free on holidays, statutory or otherwise - they only mention Monday through Saturday. So, the unambiguous message on the kiosk itself is that parking is owed except on Sundays, and the LCD screen message could easily be taken to mean other things (like maybe it's out of order and can't do sales for now).

It does say "except holidays" on the posts, but, as can be seen in this forum here, it's not at all clear whether Easter Monday is really a holiday.

I don't usually fuss about such things, but in a short space of time on Monday morning I came across three parties attempting to pay, and it appeared to be a frustration for them. A little bit more information would have prevented that.

:-)

#1320 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

http://www.newwestci...s/post/1240.php

New Westminster, BC – On April 22, 2014 the City of New Westminster received a report from a member of the public that her credit card had been compromised after she had used it at a parking pay station earlier in the day. City staff immediately contacted the New Westminster Police Department to investigate.  As a result, NWPD officers found a card skimmers attached to two pay stations located in the eastern part of New Westminster.

City of New Westminster engineering operations staff have now inspected all city-owned parking pay stations and have not found any additional skimming devices attached. To protect credit card users, engineering staff will now be conducting daily inspections of all city-owned pay stations to ensure they haven’t been tampered with. As well, the City has contacted the pay station manufacturer to advise them of this issue and to work with them on preventative measures. In the meantime, the City of New Westminster encourages anyone that may have used a credit card at a public pay station recently to check their credit card statement carefully and contact their bank and New Westminster Police at 604-525-5411 should they discover any unauthorized transactions.

pay_station.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users