Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5632 replies to this topic

#1761 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,178 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

^ Your ticket hasn't been entered into the computer yet, but just so you know phx, your license plate number can be found here https://tender.victo.../Mti/search.cfm by entering the PE number that you have posted.

It looks like you were only there 2 minutes when you got that. Did you bump into him or something while you were walking away? :)

#1762 phx

phx
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

^ Your ticket hasn't been entered into the computer yet, but just so you know phx, your license plate number can be found here https://tender.victo.../Mti/search.cfm by entering the PE number that you have posted.

It looks like you were only there 2 minutes when you got that. Did you bump into him or something while you were walking away? :)

Ok, thanks for letting the whole world know about that.

Anyhow, no, I did not see the guy. He must have been hiding behind the parking kiosk.

#1763 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,178 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:58 PM

There, all fixed. You must have run over his cat or something. :)

#1764 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:16 AM

Sorry if this has already been covered, but can the parking cards be used at the parkades?  How about a scan to enter/scan to leave system for cardholders?  You could reserve one of the exit lanes for cardholders for automated payments. 

The on-street parking card is a 20 year old technology that is really on it's way out the door.  It doesn't mesh with the parkade equipment and will not work.  This question does come up once in a while but my question is why would you want a card that you really would have to come into City Hall to load to use at a parkade where you might spend $12 if you were there for the day, simpler to use cash or credit card?  Reserving a lane for just card users would slow everything down as there simply aren't enough users of the card, even on-street we only saw 12.5% use.

A tap & go system would be good. Tap your City of Victoria parking card to enter and tap it again to leave (check in/out). The card can tie to your parking account, which automatically charges your credit card monthly.

The parkades are obviously not PCI compliant, so I assume credit card swiping will have to go relatively soon. Chip & pin would really kill parkade exit times.

Parkade equipment is PCI compliant.  Johnson St parkade was working as a credit card in/credit card out facility.  I will have to see if it is still.  Drivers would simply insert their credit card in the machine as they entered and exited.  It worked well.  The tap and go tech is getting to the parking industry and it is something we are interested in.  As I mentioned before I'd like to see a ticketless system with the help of Licence plate readers, but adding the tap and go to the exit equipment would be a nice add as well.

Are the Commissionaires behaving badly on their way out the door?  I got a ticket this afternoon:

Ab9Znb1.jpg

Maybe their computers malfunction sometimes.

You will notice the time difference of 2 minutes.  There is a slight lag for the communication of the information to get to the handhelds and there is a refresh cycle that needs to occur.  When the officer sees the space as unpaid, there is also time that it takes to issue the ticket.  If someone approaches the officer this delay adds to the time difference.  I'm not sure what happened in this case but there are a few of these tickets issued with a 1 or 2 minute and those tickets are cancelled.  Please forward this picture to reviewoffice@Victoria.ca and it will be cancelled.

#1765 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

Used the parking card at the machine on View at Blanshard by Ralphs Radio....went to a quick 3 minute meeting on Blanshard by Fort and used the machine on Blanshard to refund my time....it turns out that you cant use meters from different zones as they freak out and charge you the full amount and no refund. (even though they are located less than 100m from each other) So off to City Hall to get a refund and discover this flaw is well known and only came up when all the parking changes took place last fall.

I bet I have lost $40 to $50 over that time without realizing it. Wonder how many others have too? 

Asked a few friends who also have cards and they had no idea.

The idea of using cell phone app doesn't really work when you have employees on company business and you don't want to load 15-20 phones up with a company credit card #

• http likes this

#1766 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,178 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

The idea of using cell phone app doesn't really work when you have employees on company business and you don't want to load 15-20 phones up with a company credit card #

Sure it does. WAY more manageable than all of the other options.

#1767 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

Used the parking card at the machine on View at Blanshard by Ralphs Radio....went to a quick 3 minute meeting on Blanshard by Fort and used the machine on Blanshard to refund my time....it turns out that you cant use meters from different zones as they freak out and charge you the full amount and no refund. (even though they are located less than 100m from each other) So off to City Hall to get a refund and discover this flaw is well known and only came up when all the parking changes took place last fall.

I bet I have lost $40 to $50 over that time without realizing it. Wonder how many others have too? 

Asked a few friends who also have cards and they had no idea.

Yes RJag, the machines can only hold one tariff.  email me the card number and I can look through your history and have a look how often it happened to you and we can make the adjustment when next you fill the card.  Most people use the same machine when logging on and off. My email address is ihusu@Victoria.ca

Regarding ParkVictoria, there is a way around for businesses to use one account.  We are also going to start to work on a business/family option that allows multiple phone numbers to use one account with the developer.

Edited by Ismo07, 11 May 2015 - 01:57 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

#1768 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:12 PM

Victoria Parking Enforcement 1947

Attached Images

• Victoria Parking Enforcement started in 1947.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#1769 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,824 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

That's great. Where they Commissionaires back then as well?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1770 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,824 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:03 PM

Oops, looks like that's in the 1960's going by the '63 Chevy.

• Nparker and Jill like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1771 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

Oops, looks like that's in the 1960's going by the '63 Chevy.

The title of the photograph says: "Victoria Parking Enforcement started in 1947" I wrongly assumed that was the date of the photo. Good eye Mike K.!

• Mike K. likes this

#1772 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

That's great. Where they Commissionaires back then as well?

Times Colonist May 6, 2015 06:00 AM

The Corps of Commissionaires, a not-for-profit organization with a mandate to create employment for veterans and other Canadians of good character, has had the parking-enforcement contract with Victoria for about 50 years.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.LJolIcA7.dpuf

• Mike K. likes this

#1773 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

With the 1515 Douglas and 819 Yates projects seeming imminent, are we in for parking issues downtown once those two large, and mostly public, parking lots are gone? Both of those lots are heavily used by Monday to Friday workers. Both are at capacity by around 8:30am.

Where will those vehicles go? Do city parkades have excess capacity? Is 1515 Douglas going to have a public parking component? The Atrium does after 6pm, but that doesn't help office workers who work in other buildings.

#1774 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

With the 1515 Douglas and 819 Yates projects seeming imminent, are we in for parking issues downtown once those two large, and mostly public, parking lots are gone? Both of those lots are heavily used by Monday to Friday workers. Both are at capacity by around 8:30am.

Where will those vehicles go? Do city parkades have excess capacity? Is 1515 Douglas going to have a public parking component? The Atrium does after 6pm, but that doesn't help office workers who work in other buildings.

Whether or not somebody choose to drive (or use any other mode of transportation) is based on a whole series of variables, including parking supply and price. Which means that some of these people will swtich modes, some will find other parking spots and some will change where and when they travel.

• Nparker likes this

#1775 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:51 PM

It could be yours for only $8.99US ...   -   http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item4195d6ef66

Attached Images

• $_57.JPG

#1776 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:29 AM

"semper liber" ? Is that a poor attempt at "Always Free" in Latin?  Cause if there's one thing Victoria Parking Enforcement has never been associated with, it's "free"...

• sebberry and todd like this

#1777 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

Commissionaires issued 159,656 tickets in 2014, down from 194,200 in 2012, according to a report councillors received March 26.

Commissionaires have also been cancelling more tickets after interacting with drivers: In 2014, 11,209 tickets were cancelled when the driver moved his or her vehicle on request, compared with 3,313 in 2012.

Fewer people have also been requesting reviews of their tickets: The number dropped to 31,960 in 2014, from 37,144 in 2013 and 35,557 in 2012.

The total number of tickets cancelled remains steady, while warnings have increased slightly.

Fairfield resident Stan Bartlett, who filed a Freedom of Information request for the new program’s business case, said he doesn’t believe the city has taken into account the full costs associated with creating unionized positions.

“The taxpayer should be getting the best deal and service that can be achieved here,” Bartlett said. “For me, one of the big questions is, how accurate are their cost and revenue estimates?”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.1uqsnsQq.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1778 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,041 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

Fairfield resident Stan Bartlett, who filed a Freedom of Information request for the new program’s business case, said he doesn’t believe the city has taken into account the full costs associated with creating unionized positions...“The taxpayer should be getting the best deal and service that can be achieved here,” Bartlett said...

At least as good value as the taxpayer is currently getting from Mr. Sweetnam's contract @ Seaterror.

#1779 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

They need to have some "Plain language" explanations of the bylaws attached to some of the sign posts.  Example is the residential parking zones which become even more complicated when the zone is only on one side of the road. 

I have a friend living next to one of these zones and cars are constantly being ticketed, presumably because the ticket man doesn't know where the driver is and it ends up being a case of "if you're in the right, prove it to city hall". I'm sure others are getting caught up in the semantics of the bylaws. 

Especially for visitors to the city - you shouldn't be expected to find a place to park, take out your phone, dig up the bylaws, find the relevant section and determine how it applies then proceed to find a final parking space...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1780 aastra

aastra
  • 20,860 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

Commissionaires (in Victoria) issued 159,656 tickets in 2014, down from 194,200 in 2012...

The City of Vancouver issued about 329,000 parking tickets last year...

Article...

Edited by aastra, 10 June 2015 - 10:03 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users