Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5632 replies to this topic

#1781 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,824 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:18 AM

People in Vancouver know better than to push the limit. I bet fines are higher there as well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1782 aastra

aastra
  • 20,859 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:44 AM

The city of Vancouver is 6x the size of the city of Victoria and has 7x the population. Even if we suppose that the average Vancouverite is the most exaggerated incarnation of the docile, buttoned-down Canadian stereotype and even if we suppose that the average Victorian is the most exaggerated incarnation of the anti-authoritarian hippie stereotype... what freakin' difference does it make? The numbers shouldn't be anywhere close (assuming that these reported numbers are accurate).

I bet fines are higher there as well.

Parking fines contributed $15 million to (Vancouver) city coffers last year.

The city (of Victoria) collected $3.98 million in revenue from traffic violations, parking fines and towing fees in 2014

#1783 aastra

aastra
  • 20,859 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

Nanaimo:

A total 6,952 parking tickets were handed out in 2014

Article...

Richmond:

The total number of parking tickets issued in Richmond in 2013 was 38,068

Article... (Victoria is conspicuously absent from the list at the bottom)

The numbers shouldn't be anywhere close...

You know, I suppose this may be related to the size of the downtown area more than anything. Most tickets are going to be issued downtown. If a city has a very small downtown or no downtown (Nanaimo, Richmond, Surrey, etc.), then the number of tickets is naturally going to be lower. Downtown Vancouver is about twice the size of downtown Victoria. Vehicles are the same size, parking spaces are the same size, the day contains the same number of hours, appointments and events take the same amount of time...

(in Ottawa) More than 370,000 tickets were handed out in 2012,

Article...

Winnipeg (2012) - 164,041

Article...

Edited by aastra, 10 June 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#1784 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

I don't get why people lose their mind over parking tickets.  It's $20 because you made a mistake.  It's not the end of the world.

• Matt R., Bingo, tedward and 4 others like this

#1785 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:27 AM

I don't get why people lose their mind over parking tickets.  It's $20 because you made a mistake.  It's not the end of the world.

I don't get it either.  

• Rob Randall and Bingo like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1786 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:08 PM

I don't get it either.  

apparently it's because they been ticketed by commissionaires, now that victoria is going to use ambassadors it's a whole different story, don't see how one can be mad at an ambassador

#1787 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,824 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

The parkade situation mid day is getting pretty bad. I have a meeting downtown and thought I'd save mysf a bit of a walk from my parking spot but nope, two parkades full and the last I checked had 3 free. A lot of this likely has to do with the closure of the giant lot along Pandora at Douglas.
  • jonny and todd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1788 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:02 PM

It represented ~120 spots that filled up everyday and now, I suspect,try to park in the Johnson St. parkade (which only has like 200 or so spots to begin with).  Not surprised to see the parkades absorb that.

#1789 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:01 PM

Just up the daily parking rate, that will fix it and have no effect on retail traffic.
  • thundergun likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1790 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:45 PM

Well, the daily rate in the old lot was $9.50 for parking til 6PM. The daily rate in the parkades is $12.  So it's already more expensive than the old lot.  Though I wouldn't be surprised to see it climb to $14 soon to match the Bastion Square rates.

#1791 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

Told you guys.

#1792 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:50 PM

Well, the daily rate in the old lot was $9.50 for parking til 6PM. The daily rate in the parkades is $12. So it's already more expensive than the old lot. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see it climb to $14 soon to match the Bastion Square rates.

First world problems. Parking of our second car for our second income earner that takes our income over $125,000 costs us $145/month.

#1793 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,824 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:44 PM

For the record I have a parking spot downtown, but sometimes it's nice to make use of the city parkades with the hour free gimmick, especially if one happens to be close to where I need to go. But without a word of a lie, each time I've approached the Fisgard parkade over the last week or so It's been full and Johnson was full today. Once the lot at 819 Yates closes that'll push yet another 100-150 day time vehicles into other parking spaces, likely City parkades.

I think the City's push to reduce parking in new developments is going to backfire in the years to come.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.

#1794 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

I think the City's push to reduce parking in new developments is going to backfire in the years to come.

It's OK, everyone will be on bicycles anyway... 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1795 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:00 PM

Exactly, won't be a problem with the new bus lanes. 

#1796 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,019 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:22 AM

It's OK, everyone will be on bicycles anyway... 

Or they can reduce the speed limit to 20 which will keep more cars on the road and free up parking spots!

• Nparker likes this

#1797 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:30 AM

Lets hope our politicians commission another study to see how they solved this in Portland.....perhaps Ms Madoff will declare a possible retro 60's heritage status on our city parkades before councilor's Isitt and Loveday try to convert them to social housing and thus if they remove all parkades then we wont have a parking problem because if there is no where to park then there is no parking problem 

Edited by rjag, 19 June 2015 - 06:33 AM.

• jonny likes this

#1798 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,818 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

I have been thinking for years that the city needs to build a couple nice new parkades. The ideal locations in my mind would be along Quadra next to the Curling rink or next to RAP. Both lots are city land already.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1799 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,824 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:04 AM

I think that would be too far out and not well used. Parking lots on the periphery of downtown are the cheapest for that reason.

Know it all.

#1800 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,409 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

City should take over the Bay Centre parkade and make its prices align with the rest. That would make a difference.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users