Inter-city bus service & Victoria terminal

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

#141 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

as for intercity buses, you have to consider, that because of the long distances, longer layovers are required, and that they haul express and luggage unlike bc transit buses. so as people wait longer for intercity buses a proper terminal would be needed.

I don't think anyone says it won't be a proper terminal, but the buses are either going to Vancouver, or up-Island.  There is still a plan for a waiting room and ticket booth. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#142 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

The city of Victoria is throwing its support behind the creation of a commercial bus terminal in front of Crystal Garden on lower Douglas Street.

The proposal was brought forth by a group of three private bus operators who have to vacate their current terminal at the corner of Douglas and Belleville by July 31. The companies also intend to lease space within Crystal Garden for ticket sales, a customer waiting area, and office space.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#143 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:05 AM

Douglas Street in front of Crystal Garden will become a precinct for buses in an 18-month trial, Victoria council has reluctantly decided.

“Not everyone is going to like this,” said Mayor Lisa Helps.

“There are some pieces that some people will like, other pieces that other people will like but no one is going to like the whole thing. So no matter what we do, no one is going to be happy.”

The idea is a joint proposal by B.C. Transit and the three commercial bus operators — Wilson’s Transportation, Tofino Bus and Greyhound Canada — which have been given notice they must move out of the existing bus depot at Douglas and Belleville Street by the end of May. A residential development is planned for the property.

http://www.timescolo...arden-1.2177685

#144 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

This pretty much sums it up. “There are some pieces that some people will like, other pieces that other people will like but no one is going to like the whole thing. So no matter what we do, no one is going to be happy." Lisa Helps

#145 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

Is it just me or does this region not plan ahead well into the future? The city has been so focused on bike lanes (biketoria) that they and others forgot that there are other modes that enter the city. An off street option makes the most sense, but the JBNA doesnt want that and the DRA (which includes the Humboldt condo owners) dont want any buses either nearby. Although I will give the DRA credit for agreeing that a solution and proper location needed.

Dont people research the area before they move in. Its downtown, its suppose to be busy with buses. I can understand the concerns of noise and safety, but come on. The Nimby stance isnt getting us anywhere, and I havent heard what alternatives these people want, instead i just hear what they dont want.

At least the city is trying, and its a position I dont envy the Mayor to be in.

Edited by UrbanRail, 19 February 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#146 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

I'm pretty happy with the whole thing.

I had also proposed over on Wharf by the tourism centre for the inter-city buses.

• johnk likes this

#147 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

Is it just me or does this region not plan ahead well into the future? The city has been so focused on bike lanes (biketoria) that they and others forgot that there are other modes that enter the city. An off street option makes the most sense, but the JBNA doesnt want that and the DRA (which includes the Humboldt condo owners) dont want any buses either nearby. Although I will give the DRA credit for agreeing that a solution and proper location needed.

Dont people research the area before they move in. Its downtown, its suppose to be busy with buses. I can understand the concerns of noise and safety, but come on. The Nimby stance isnt getting us anywhere, and I havent heard what alternatives these people want, instead i just hear what they dont want.

At least the city is trying, and its a position I dont envy the Mayor to be in.

So you're saying the city is trying and at the same time you dump on them for trying for bikes?  It sounds like your beef is with NIMBYs not the bike project, which is also getting affected by NIMBYs.

#148 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

I'm pretty happy with the whole thing.

I had also proposed over on Wharf by the tourism centre for the inter-city buses.

you mean along govenment

#149 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

So you're saying the city is trying and at the same time you dump on them for trying for bikes?  It sounds like your beef is with NIMBYs not the bike project, which is also getting affected by NIMBYs.

Sorry i worded that wrong, i am not dumping on  the city or the bike project. my concern is the nimbys. I do bike and take transit.

Edited by UrbanRail, 19 February 2016 - 11:06 AM.

• nagel likes this

#150 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:11 AM

VHF's Wharf Street plan seemed like a good one, although there will eventually be residential units right across the street there as well.

#151 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:11 AM

Sorry i worded that wrong, i am not dumping on  the city or the bike project. my concern is the nimbys. I do bike and take transit.

Yeah they are tough.

#152 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:16 AM

VHF's Wharf Street plan seemed like a good one, although there will eventually be residential units right across the street there as well.

whereabouts on Wharf st? You mean near ship point?

#153 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

This pretty much sums it up. “There are some pieces that some people will like, other pieces that other people will like but no one is going to like the whole thing. So no matter what we do, no one is going to be happy." Lisa Helps

As Helps motto goes "We're not happy til you're not happy".
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#154 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:45 AM

whereabouts on Wharf st? You mean near ship point?

Pick-up drop-off from cars and taxis could be in the lower lot.  The place already has bathrooms.  Ticket purchase could be in the bottom, or at the Tourism Centre.

A problem with the new plan is a total lack of parking for taxis and drop-offs.  If I'm sending my 13-year-old up on the bus to see his mom in Comox, where can I park, accompany him to get the ticket, and see him off?  I might have to park a few blocks away from Crystal Garden.

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-02-20 10-42-27.png

#155 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:14 AM

http://www.timescolo...ation-1.2298306

About a dozen tourists lined up to board a B.C. Ferries connector bus in front of Crystal Gardens on Friday afternoon, marking one week since the soft opening of the new station and stop.

Mayor Lisa Helps said she has not received any public feedback — positive or negative — since the bus operators moved out of the former bus depot across the street on June 30.

“It is a pilot project, so we certainly welcome feedback,” she said. “And we’ll monitor the operating model pretty darn closely to see if it can be a long-term solution or not.”

Victoria council reluctantly voted to approve the station and bus stop for an 18-month period, after operators were given notice they had to move out of the former depot. Several councillors expressed fears about congestion and inadequate facilities, but the test will come in the coming weeks.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.4qiX2Rnn.dpuf

#156 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

Wilson's has bought the coffee shop adjacent to the bus terminal ticket centre/waiting room. 

#157 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:57 AM

The Crystal Garden bus depot experiment, which started on July 1, will continue well into 2018 as worries of “walls of buses” lining Douglas Street and clouds of exhaust choking pedestrians have failed to materialize.

An analysis of the operation prepared by city staff notes there has been about a dozen complaints since the service began but overall there have been “no significant safety or operational issues” that should prevent its continued operation.

According to the analysis:

• Buses generally operate on schedule. More than 90 per cent of buses stay less than 30 minutes at the station and there were no more than three buses there at any time.

• There were no reported collisions involving pedestrians or cyclists and buses in the 700 block of Douglas Street.

• Interior seating and the adjoining ticket sales area have proved to be sufficient.

• During the first three months of operations, four complaints were received about idling and/or emissions, all from residents in the nearby Aria building. In each incident, the complainants were contacted, and there was followup with drivers. There have been no idling/emission complaints since September.

• Curb concierges have been hired to manage passenger activities outside the station and to minimize passenger congestion. The concierges monitor idling and parking adherence.

• Sound readings show that commercial bus idling and start-up levels were less than levels recorded for B.C. Transit operations.

• Luggage storage is to be provided for travellers this year. A washroom in the Capital City Cafe has been upgraded to be accessible.

Wilson’s plans to introduce two new electric shuttle buses to supplement its fleet of five gas-powered buses for their airport shuttle service and is planning to add patio seating to its cafe.

http://www.timescolo...2018-1.10076214

i don't understand the concerns about a wall of buses. isn't that what we want? i was at the corner of finlayson & douglas one day during rush hour & counted only 8. you'd think we'd want to triple that.

#158 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

I've love seeing Pam having to eat crow on this issue.

#159 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:44 AM

Greyhound Canada is moving to cancel its Victoria-Nanaimo route, saying the average passenger load is only nine persons.

The low ridership is part of a wider decline experienced by Greyhound and, specifically, is thought to be part of general shift in travel options between Vancouver Island’s two largest centres.

Peter Hamel, Greyhound Canada’s regional vice-president for Western Canada, said overall ridership in B.C. has declined by about half since 2010.

Greyhound Canada has filed an application with the B.C. Passenger Transportation Board to discontinue service on five routes, including Victoria-Nanaimo.

“The overall ridership in B.C. has seen a decline since 2010 of 46 per cent. On the five corridors we applied for, that decline in ridership is 51 per cent,” Hamel said.

In 2013, the Victoria-Nanaimo route carried an average of 16 passengers, but has dropped below 10, he said.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 31 August 2017 - 06:44 AM.

#160 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:51 AM

With the train service also gone, how can a growing Island population with no other means of transport between its two largest cities other than cars or buses see a decline in passengers? Is that Wilson's service that much more competitive?

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users