BUILT
Duet (east)
Use: condo
Address: 640 Michigan Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
Duet is a two building, 90 unit condo development in Victoria's James Bay neighbourhood.

Duet (east), an ei... (view full profile)
Learn more about Duet (east) on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Duet | Condos | 8- & 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Condo

• Please log in to reply
325 replies to this topic

#21 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

I think the flak people gives James Bay is that it has all that diversity DESPITE the community association who seem hell bent on turning james bay into something it isn't and never was. 4 story rentals can't even get built in James bay without people screaming about density and greedy developers. About the only thing their community association likes are million dollar townhomes and SFH's but of course they HATE mid market apartments because they don't address homelessness/addordability, give me a break. After watching that association for years I've noticed no matter what they say or how they spin it they are simply fear mongering anti-density, anti-diversity, classist nimby's of the worst sort.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#22 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

This is progressing although I don't know if it will start before Chard's other project on Broughton.

#23 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

This is progressing although I don't know if it will start before Chard's other project on Broughton.

This is a long way off. Broughton won`t start until late Spring 2011 at the earliest. This won`t start until Broughton is finished

#24 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

The latest version of this project got a positive hearing at the James Bay Neighbourhood Assoc. This plan has two separate buildings - eight stories to the east and 4 stories to the west. Nice courtyard/open area between them.
Pieta VanDyke

#25 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:25 PM

Good to hear Barra!

#26 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

What has changed since the last proposal was shelved?

#27 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

There have been so many versions that I am struggling to remember the last one, but I believe that was one building ranging from 6 to 8 stories. Now there is a greater setback to the north and a wide separation between two buildings.

Previously the problem (to the neighbours) was the impact on the townhouses to the north - they face to the south and would have had all sun blocked off by the building wall across the fence.
Pieta VanDyke

#28 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

Setback from the sidewalk or setback from the buildings behind?

I am very pleased that this will go through.

Now if we could just do something about those government barracks and empty lots nearby.

#29 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

There is a greater setback to the north, adjacent to the buildings on Superior St. All of the other setbacks seemed reasonable too.

Now don't go assuming that this is going to go through, just because the neighbourhood association seemed to like it. I've seen more than one example of projects that were OK with the neighbourhood but turned down by Council.
Pieta VanDyke

#30 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

This project just makes me shake my head...it should have been approved long ago...balking about a handful of stories in the shadows of the tallest building on South Vancouver Island is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as the Crystalview Fiasco with Westbank...I applaud Chard for persevering with this project but personally, I wouldn't touch James Bay with a ten foot pole.

#31 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

640 Michigan condo proposal seeks rezoning

By Robert Randall • Published on Friday, June 18, 2010

David Chard’s 640 Michigan Street condo proposal had a successful date at City Hall yesterday when the Planning and Land Use Standing Committee voted in favour of having the property rezoned.

This is the latest milestone in a rezoning process that goes back five years when Chard’s development company first proposed a 67-unit condo building on a James Bay street across from Orchard House, Victoria’s tallest highrise.

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

So only the edges of the buildings face the sidewalk?

?

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

So only the edges of the buildings face the sidewalk?

?

Yes. I saw the model at CHall last night. How you like that shadow?

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

The shadow is from the satellite photo used as a base. I boosted the contrast because these white-on-white models are always hard to photograph. The shadow looks like that Guatemala sinkhole.

I don't have a current unit count on this version--the 67 unit was the first iteration.

In 2006, Councillor Helen Hughes said this proposal had been back and forth so many times it looked like a tennis game. That was four years ago!

#35 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

The development permit for this project will be considered Thursday by the Land Use & Planning Committee.

#36 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:06 PM

Planning Committee approved the DP today.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

These are the latest renderings for the project courtesy of MCMP Architecture.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:02 PM

Geez, in that second rendering the lead seagull looked like he was dropping a load, then I realized it was just some schmutz on my screen.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#39 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:18 PM

Is this what James Bay gets instead of the Pyramid, or was that a different site. Not sure I'd be too happy if this was the replacement.

#40 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:38 PM

It's a fairly serviceable design. It's inoffensive but bleh. it's not ugly, but it's not interesting. That said I'd not be upset to see a few dozen of these in james bay just for the density and tolerable design.

One thing I notice though with a lot of these bland designs is that they are not from local architects. I get a feeling some of these projects are just "phoned in" from vancouver. So much of langford is utterly phoned in from alberta and it shows.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users