Photo

Churches in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

I went to church when I was young as most people did at the time. I loved it. Especially singing hymn. I still sing them today.

#22 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

We (I'm Anglican) are facing an enormous transition from establishment church - and all that goes with that - to being one of many options for exploring and expressing faith.

I think the community that comes out of this will be exciting and vibrant, and virtually every adult there will be there because they made a conscious choice to be there. And that will be exciting.

We will be able to celebrate and leverage the liturgical and theological traditions we inherit from the past while living in our own time... But it sure won't be the size and scale of the Anglican presence in Victoria in 1960 and it sure won't look like what it did then, either.

Frightening, exciting, challenging times ahead.

My prayers are with those whose parishes are about to see enormous disruption and change. Change is hard.

#23 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

This is quite a large number of interesting properties, generally centrally located in established neighbourhoods. rough map

The report recommends the selling/leasing of the disestablished parishes in 18 months.

A shame the church can't somehow generate more income from the properties. It will be interesting to see what types of conversions might happen. At the very least, 'hub church' parking lots will have to grow.

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

A shame the church can't somehow generate more income from the properties.

I think they've maxed out the conventional opportunities--renting out parking on weekdays, day care, craft sales etc.

A church leader was on CBC this morning saying current church practices date back a thousand years when everyone attended church and that this model doesn't fit modern times. Ironically, the new direction the church may go may resemble the early days of the Christian church with small groups of people meeting informally, which seems truer than the drive-through salvation of the megachurches I mentioned earlier.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#25 YOYO

YOYO
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

This is great news. It shows that more and more people are embracing common sense and science over fairy-tales with fascist like teachings.

#26 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

would any of them make good german- or czech-style beer halls? :D

this one & this one seem to be in ok locations. are they big enough though? they'd have to hold at least 200-300 people & be able to brew their own beer.

#27 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

310 Henry is on the Heritage Registry.
Might make a beer hall tricky, but I could be wrong!

It is zoned R2. If this is representative of most of the churches, I wonder how easy it will be to sell them.

If no community organization is interested or can afford the costs, will it be economical for a developer to rezone for multi-family and reno in a way that meets heritage guidelines?

edit: or maybe a single family??
http://www.converted...fo/gallery.html
http://boingboing.ne...an-francis.html

another edit re beer halls:
from http://www.ourproper...conversion.html

Rights of access and restrictive covenants

Your solicitor needs to carefully study the church title deeds to determine exactly what alterations will be possible in your church conversion project:

• External alterations are routinely prohibited.
  • Relatives must have rights of access to visit the remains of the deceased.
  • In the past, Anglican churches prohibited the consumption of alcohol on the premises after conversion! Luckily, this practice is dying out.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:59 PM

would any of them make good german- or czech-style beer halls? :D

this one & this one seem to be in ok locations. are they big enough though? they'd have to hold at least 200-300 people & be able to brew their own beer.

Yes, the second one, the one in Vic West would make a good bottle depot.

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

Homeless shelters?

#30 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

Homeless shelters?

Better late than never. ;)

#31 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

of course this one would make the ultimate church-turned-beer-hall, but i'm sure it's not closing down anytime soon :P

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

of course this one would make the ultimate church-turned-beer-hall, but i'm sure it's not closing down anytime soon :P

In the earthquake, I suppose most of it is coming down though. ;)

#33 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

ANGLICAN SYNOD APPROVES REORGANIZATION; MORE YET TO COME
CFAX
Mar 8, 2010
http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=12673

That the proceeds from the disposition by sale and lease of disestablished buildings and lands be put into a Diocesan fund or funds for financing new initiatives, plant maintenance and upgrading.

[...]

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

What sort of noise regulations govern church bells?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

Uh oh...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

What sort of noise regulations govern church bells?

Oh no not the bell NIMBYs again! 

So which came first the church or the congregation, and why would you move next to a church and then complain about the bells?

ECCLESIASTICAL LAW Canon F8 of the Church of England states that “every church shall be provided with at least one bell to ring the people to service”.

- See more at: http://www.bristol.a...h.UlV8Sget.dpuf

Otherwise maybe we need more of these.

Carillion.jpg

#37 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:31 PM

I believe that they are exempt under the City noise bylaws.   

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

I figured they would be or have some special clause regarding them.

Just curious, is all.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

Looking, the bylaw just says 'use in a reasonable manner'.  Which, I guess, all comes down to what you term 'reasonable' :-)   

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:46 PM

Camp Columbia on Thetis Island was also closed.

The mission ship lives on.

http://www.mothershi...tours_of_bc.htm

Picture7.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users